• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dynamic Discs statement RE:Am Worlds in Emporia will be a trophy-only tournament

At any rate, for those who would have gone but won't because of this year's payout, and those who'll go and grumble about it, and those who weren't going anyway but want to complain about it----

I, for one, can't go and wish I could, regardless of the payout.

At any rate, for those who would have gone but won't because of this year's payout, and those who'll go and grumble about it, and those who weren't going anyway but want to complain about it----

I, for one, can't go and wish I could, regardless of the payout.

Right? It sounds like a fantastic event, and there really are a bunch of people who seem awfully entitled whining and bitching up a storm. Go, have fun, and if you're truly a top player you'll be rewarded. Otherwise you still get some great memories.

Right? It sounds like a fantastic event, and there really are a bunch of people who seem awfully entitled whining and bitching up a storm. Go, have fun, and if you're truly a top player you'll be rewarded. Otherwise you still get some great memories.

I saw a thread over at DGR where someone was calling me "entitled." I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. Maybe it's a recognition that the PDGA website right now says I'm the 6th highest rated advanced masters woman in the world. Yeah, I know, that only includes current members, and a lot of members haven't renewed yet, but I was in the top 20 at the end of 2012. Yet, the women's fields suffer from such a ratings spread, that I have no hope of competing against the 3 or 5 highest rated women likely to play my division this year. Best I could hope for was to be in contention to cash. But now that's gone. I just think that, because the women's field suffers from a much larger ratings spread than the men's, eliminating the cash line impacts the ladies a lot more. I hope I'm wrong, but I expect that the women's fields will be much smaller this year due to this turn of events. As someone whose competitive experience is basically eliminated by this policy, I guess I feel entitled to complain.

So as someone who's not going to win anyway, you'd rather get three crappy discs for payout to prove that you came in 6th out of 13 than get a great players' pack and compete just for competition's sake?

So as someone who's not going to win anyway, you'd rather get three crappy discs for payout to prove that you came in 6th out of 13 than get a great players' pack and compete just for competition's sake?

Yeah, this^^^

I personally would compete for the sake of good competition not for a crappy disc payout.

What do you mean, "compete?" Do you mean "play?" It's not a "competition" unless there's something to win, and a reasonable chance at being competitive to win. Even in the top 20, I'm still outclassed by 70 or so ratings points by the top players in my division. That's not competition at all. It's not an opportunity to compete. It's not a competitive experience.

Oh and by the way I sure hope this Kansas rude representation is fixed by the time you have visitors in July. You guys are super sensitive to others compliants and concerns. To tell me to stay at home if I don't like the changes is pretty childish. This was a place to show and voice a lot of peoples concerns and give solutions or information to them. We are all in this for the love of the game. I grew up if you worked harder and became better you had the chance of winning. This everyone is a winner mentality and not keeping score is a joke. This is not a beer round people. There are a lot of tournaments out there that I could attend. I choose to go to the worlds. Help make my stay welcoming. Thats what a host town does.

I am who I am. I respect those who show respect. I'm not going to sit idly by while a mindless dolt who doesn't plan on coming and has never attended a DD ran event runs his mouth calling them scammers. If you've been here or plan on it, you're not going to find more welcoming and hospitable people. I routinely give out discs and lodging arrangements for people on a road trip who want to stop for a round but I draw the line at rude twerps who troll on message boards for nothing more than their entertainment. He didn't voice a concern or opinion he just trashed everyone involved and tooted the horn of the tournament he did like. People like that should stay home.

Last edited:
Totally disagree with Jen statement about competing. I dot need a prize to compete. Just the fact of playing better then I usually do or my competors do is what I pay for. If dd hooks me up with some plastic to offset my cost. That is great. My last tourney I played average enough to make it to the bottom of the second card. I was 7 strokes behind the guys. But I still made second card. But playing with them made me better. A course that I have never broke 72 on I played a 68. Honestly should of been a 66 but had a putt hit the base and roll uphill and then down hill 20 feet into the water. Just knowing I had the round of my life made my experience better. And yes I competed with the ayers on my card trying for a better score

I haven't read this whole thing , but in my first season of tourneys , 2 out of 3 tourneys ended with plastic and I was happy ! Kept some , sold some and gave some away , great !

But are you saying that the model is switching to only top 3 or so get trophys ?
You mean , kinda like EVERY other sport in the world ?
Hmmm.....

It's not a "competition" unless there's something to win.....

That pretty well sums up this thread.

Some of us only need the opportunity to compete, and perhaps win, against an opponent, to consider it a competition.

Some of us only need the opportunity to compete, and perhaps win, against an opponent, to consider it a competition.

Sounds like you also think there needs to be a chance to win for it to be a competition?

In any event, I've said my piece. I'll move on.

Thanks, I was looking for the words to say that and you said it better than I was going to. If I'm playing a competitive round with nothing on the line, it's just as rewarding competition-wise as potentially winning a bunch of merch. I compete for the competition, not for the prizes. If you can't get your competitive juices up, talk your card mates into side bets.

Sounds like you also think there needs to be a chance to win for it to be a competition?

In any event, I've said my piece. I'll move on.

Yes, but note that it's a chance to win against an opponent.

It's not necessary that I have a reasonable chance of winning the division I'm competing in, for it to be a competition. It could be a dogfight to not finish last. It often is.

i played last year without thought of even having a chance to hit the cash line, i would play this year except i cant however i will be in the twin cities in 2014 and will not have any expectation to cash nor do i really care if i do, the worlds experience is worth way more then hitting cash, wouldnt trade that for all the middle of the pack plastic in the world, besides, it seems to me the DD model would be better for someone who doesnt expect to cash....

I fail to see how having a prize is what validates something as a competition.

I don't play tournaments, even small local ones, because I want to win merchandise or other prizes. I play tournaments because I enjoy playing against other people and competing to be the best in my division.

I think that's what separates people who compete and people who are actually competitive. Competitive people do sports and things to be the best, to be better than everyone else there

Do you think Kobe Bryant plays Basketball ferociously because he wants to earn a big contract extension? He plays because he wants to be the best player on the planet.

I fail to see how having a prize is what validates something as a competition.

I don't play tournaments, even small local ones, because I want to win merchandise or other prizes. I play tournaments because I enjoy playing against other people and competing to be the best in my division.
I think that's what separates people who compete and people who are actually competitive. Competitive people do sports and things to be the best, to be better than everyone else there
Do you think Kobe Bryant plays Basketball ferociously because he wants to earn a big contract extension? He plays because he wants to be the best player on the planet.

I still cannot wrap my head around some of you people. You are paying into a tournament. Tournament! Why would you ever be happy just to donate your money for "fun", "oppertunity to compete" You can do that for free at your home course! There is no way your going to get the best of the best out there without something in it for them. This is not a fundraiser! Kobe Bryant gets paid to play his best. Gesh some people?
SteezeOG: I hope all goes well and that happy friendly attitude shines. Just a bit of advice when people are rude dont feed into it doesnt bode well on you.

I still cannot wrap my head around some of you people. You are paying into a tournament. Tournament! Why would you ever be happy just to donate your money for "fun", "oppertunity to compete" You can do that for free at your home course! There is no way your going to get the best of the best out there without something in it for them. This is not a fundraiser! Kobe Bryant gets paid to play his best. Gesh some people?
SteezeOG: I hope all goes well and that happy friendly attitude shines. Just a bit of advice when people are rude dont feed into it doesnt bode well on you.

A trophy to commemorate a win isn't enough of a reward? Some people indeed.

I saw a thread over at DGR where someone was calling me "entitled." I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. Maybe it's a recognition that the PDGA website right now says I'm the 6th highest rated advanced masters woman in the world. Yeah, I know, that only includes current members, and a lot of members haven't renewed yet, but I was in the top 20 at the end of 2012. Yet, the women's fields suffer from such a ratings spread, that I have no hope of competing against the 3 or 5 highest rated women likely to play my division this year. Best I could hope for was to be in contention to cash. But now that's gone. I just think that, because the women's field suffers from a much larger ratings spread than the men's, eliminating the cash line impacts the ladies a lot more. I hope I'm wrong, but I expect that the women's fields will be much smaller this year due to this turn of events. As someone whose competitive experience is basically eliminated by this policy, I guess I feel entitled to complain.

Hey JenB I agree this womens field is totally on a sliding scale of wrong. I have found the ratings and play is not so close in the womens division. Here is my take. Pdga Rating 650 or under novoice, 651-779 recreation, 780-850 intermediate, 851-910 Adv. 911-above pro. Once your in the 850 890 range your competition is not even close. Yet your stuck in the division or have no option but to play pro_Once you move up to pro its a lot more money and less competition, your better off playing against int guys and we know how much they love losing to girls. But for most of us ladies we peak out around that 870-890 range.

Latest posts