• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Discs Thief

Update: Snagged a Lucid Thief from DD, 168 in a sexy pink. This blend of Lucid has insane grip. So nice.

I know the Thief isn't terribly overstable, but it is working well for me in that slot so far. I am a 300-325 max guy with the Hatchet, and I am using the Thief for shots that I need to end up right (LHBH) of where the Hatchet normally would. They complement each other quite nicely, and they feel similar in the hand, which is a bonus.

I still am not sure what I will do when a headwind is involved, though. Threw the Thief into a baby headwind today and it tracked right and still faded, but not at strongly as normal. Luckily, headwinds are rarely a problem where I live, so it's likely I won't need to add anything more OS unless I get bored and what to torture myself by not being able to throw a Felon properly. :p

Regardless, I am quite pleased with the Thief so far, and I am hoping it stays that way. Definitely a ton of glide and distance packed into a smaller package. Very fun.

Any comparison to some of your other discs like a CD2 or the FD?

The CD2 is not yet in my possession, but I have been throwing FDs for quite awhile.

The Thief is longer than all of my FDs. Stablity-wise, I'd put it close to the 3rd run C-Line FD, in terms of needing a little turn and a good fade to work its line. I find the Thief to have more glide than the C-Line, but also to be a bit more of a finesse disc. I can wrench on the 3rd run C-Line FD and still get it to come back, but I have torqued the Thief into a turnover inadvertently.

On the whole, though, the Thief works as a fantastic, long complement to the Hatchet. It also makes me focus on a smooth throw, which the Swedish stuff requires, in my experience. Very pleased.

So I just got my first Thief, a 170 Lucid, and I think I'm in love! I don't agree with the flight ratings though. I would say it is more like a 9 5 -1 2. It is sneaky long and seems to turn when I use full power and I am by no means a cannon.

On the whole, though, the Thief works as a fantastic, long complement to the Hatchet.
I've never thrown a Thief, but this one is still a bit surprising to me.

The Hatchet is a very understable disc, but with a lot of distance potential due to amazing glide. Are you really saying the Thief is as US?

I have a hard time seeing any disc that is as US and a fairway driver being significantly longer than a Hatchet.

No, he isn't. When someone says a disc is a 'complement' to another, it usually means it fills in on the weaknesses, in this case stability.
Yeah, kinda. But when someone says "long complement" it generally means the same thing, just longer.

EDIT. And on the distance topic, I assume it would be longer just cause it can take that tiny bit more power, not because it's faster or glidier. Correct?

Last edited:
Yeah, kinda. But when someone says "long complement" it generally means the same thing, just longer.

EDIT. And on the distance topic, I assume it would be longer just cause it can take that tiny bit more power, not because it's faster or glidier. Correct?

The Thief complements the Hatchet stability-wise, as RistoS said, because as it isn't as flippy. I probably should have said "just as long," because I can put both out there to a similar distance. The reason I just classified it as "long" before is that the Thief is labeled as a lower speed than the Hatchet, which gives the impression it would not be as long. Not longer, though. Similar distance, complementing stabilities.

The Thief complements the Hatchet stability-wise, as RistoS said, because as it isn't as flippy. I probably should have said "just as long," because I can put both out there to a similar distance. The reason I just classified it as "long" before is that the Thief is labeled as a lower speed than the Hatchet, which gives the impression it would not be as long. Not longer, though. Similar distance, complementing stabilities.

onemile, have you done a comparison of the Thief to the Westside Stag? Are they as Similar as the flight ratings would indicate?

onemile, have you done a comparison of the Thief to the Westside Stag? Are they as Similar as the flight ratings would indicate?

I don't have much experience with the Stag, never clicked with it. Found it to be more overstable and less glidey than the Thief.

Actually liking the Sampo as the OS complement to the Hatchet these days.

Elasto or VIP on the Sampo?

VIP. The Elasto I have is waaaaay more overstable than the production run VIP. The VIP is much easier to get up to speed, and travels nice and straight with a slight fade at my low power. I'd imagine if you have more power the VIP would actually turn a bit.

I don't have much experience with the Stag, never clicked with it. Found it to be more overstable and less glidey than the Thief.

Actually liking the Sampo as the OS complement to the Hatchet these days.

Cool. Thank you for the info. The Stag is my Staple Fairway driver, so I was curious. If the Thief out glides the Stag, I may be in trouble. Lol. My Stag's (I bag 3 in 174gm, 167gm, &163gm) are good for me from about 275ft-340ish. I cannot imagine something with More Glide. :popcorn:

VIP. The Elasto I have is waaaaay more overstable than the production run VIP. The VIP is much easier to get up to speed, and travels nice and straight with a slight fade at my low power. I'd imagine if you have more power the VIP would actually turn a bit.

That's my Sampo experience as well. But I see it as a bigger fade/easier hyzer complement to the Thief, rather than a replacement. I still want the s-curve/hyzer-flip Thief as opposed to throwing a flex with the Sampo.

Might be different if my skill level increases ;)

DD>Lat64>Westside. DD seems to get really nice tweaked molds that outperform Lat64 and Westside all across the line, IME. Trespass, Renegade, Escape, and Truth are ones that come to mind which IMO trump their Lat64 and Westside counterparts, and that I've bagged at times.

DD>Lat64>Westside. DD seems to get really nice tweaked molds that outperform Lat64 and Westside all across the line, IME. Trespass, Renegade, Escape, and Truth are ones that come to mind which IMO trump their Lat64 and Westside counterparts, and that I've bagged at times.

Not to mention the crazy overstable Justice that no one else has yet to come close to. When I first threw it I thought it was a useless conversation piece to throw and laugh at. Having started using it in rounds, it surprised me how often it gets thrown now. Getting around something, fh flex shots through trees... and to say "hey check out this brick"

Not to mention the crazy overstable Justice that no one else has yet to come close to. When I first threw it I thought it was a useless conversation piece to throw and laugh at. Having started using it in rounds, it surprised me how often it gets thrown now. Getting around something, fh flex shots through trees... and to say "hey check out this brick"

DD is good stuff, and unique, which is especially appealing. I could easily go with an all DD bag and have a great setup, but I'm done buying new discs indefinitely.

I have a lucid thief that I've thrown for like 6-7 months and really enjoyed it while it was new, but now that it's gotten beaten-up I throw it flat and let it ride to the right for long turnover shots. I like the disc in it's current state but it seemed to get there awfully fast. So what's the most durable plastic for the Thief?

Latest posts