• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Element Discs - Prototype Mid Ranges Proto3 and Proto4

This is the Prototype 3 profile. To me this disc profile is like a Zone with a slightly convexed wing and a microbead. The disc is extremely flat and feels like Gateway G25 plastic.

Me likey!

So I am confident I got some of the Proto3's from gateway before I technically should have. Judging by my profile pic above they are the same disc, but am awaiting confirmation.

If that is the case I have thrown this disc quite a bit. Good luck getting any turn on it, I would say the 0 is fairly accurate in terms of a midrange and the speed it is designed to be thrown at. I am sure if some big arms really put some muster the will see some wiggle on a flat throw. It has a nice healthy fade and on a low line gives me some good skips. The closest thing I can relate it to is a suspect that has a tad more glide worn into it. I really like it and use it a bunch for everything from approaches to drives. It is a versatile disc definitely worth a try if you like the zone or suspect. Element should do well with this one.

If this isn't the same disc disregard. lol

It looks like the same disc. I threw the proto3 about twenty times in the backyard. I really want to call it a 3/3/0/3 but that is pretty far off from Elements preliminary numbers. I'm going to play a round this afternoon.

I personally would give it a 4/3/0/3. It does feel faster than say a chief OS or colt for example. The stiff plastic should wear nicely, but it hurts glide a bit. Which for what I use the disc for isn't a bad thing.

We appreciate everyone's feedback. Yes, the #'s are 'interpretive' and can change as we get more and more eyes/hands on them. The prelim #s are always a best guess based on the arms we have throwing them, so it's good to get additional folks on it.

Message me directly with any questions you may have....

I used the proto 3 out on the course today and I think you have a winner. That 4/3/0/3 Geo said seems like its correct. Very good hss with a strong fade that backhands and forehands equally well. I like the super stiff plastic blend but it might not be for everyone. I'm going to keep the proto 3 in my bag instead of the Harps i've been carrying.

This is a disc that will be interesting to see what it replaces in people's bags. It is a good challenger for m1, gator, zone, and suspect fans. I like it because I don't have to power down a verdict as much. Played some with it at lunch today purposely leaving out my verdict and Chief OS. I can get it to take shots form both of those fairly comfortably. Not quite as much reach as the verdict, and needing a hair more umph than the OS, which makes it perfect for carrying in my small bag set up.

I think this hard plastic will also make it idea for a short range roller. Threw a get out of trouble scooby roller with it today and it performed well.

Got my protos in today, and yes the above disc is the same as proto 3. Guess I snaked a second considering it does have one gouge where the flashing was cut too deep. My proto3 is nice and clean though. So my review of it holds steady.

The proto4 will feel familiar to people who have used mystics. It flies like a shorter leopard really. The blend of plastic these are in feel excellent. nice and grippy yet firm.

Element has the proto 3 and proto 4 for sale individually. I like the proto 3 so much I would like to get a few more because I don't think the plastic will be this stiff when/if they go into production. The problem is I've been buying way too much plastic lately.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAA
:D:D:D

Element has the proto 3 and proto 4 for sale individually. I like the proto 3 so much I would like to get a few more because I don't think the plastic will be this stiff when/if they go into production. The problem is I've been buying way too much plastic lately.

I've been testing my set for a little over a week and I'm really digging Proto4. The convex rim provides a smooth snap and a buttery release. There is a hole at one of my local courses, treacherous #7, that is a tunnel shot that slowly turns to the left. The biggest issue lies in the elevation change, whereas the basket is on a steep 15ft hill right off the fairway. If you don't stick a clean landing on your first throw, your disc will roll off the fairway and down into the woods. Sometimes you will end up 60ft from the basket, with your run or upshot being completely uphill the entire time with no grass to cushion the landing and keep the disc from rolling back down the hill, across the fairway and back into the woods. The last three times I've played hole 7, my drive off the teepad with Proto4 has given me a 20ft clean look at the basket. If thrown correctly, the disc has a nice, slow fade and it allows me to shape a safe birdie look every time. I'll be continuing to use these protos, I'm excited to see how they beat in. So far, they have been consistent, even after they've pretended to be an axe on multiple occasions, trying their best to chop down a tree during my crappy releases LOL.

I just ordered two sets of the protos. Love RDG and want to give this Craft Disc Faction thing a go (ordered an Andro+ and Andro-too). Really excited for the Proto3. And I really liked the Mystic when I tried it in the past, curious to see how the Proto4 compares.

I just ordered two sets of the protos. Love RDG and want to give this Craft Disc Faction thing a go (ordered an Andro+ and Andro-too). Really excited for the Proto3. And I really liked the Mystic when I tried it in the past, curious to see how the Proto4 compares.

The proto4 will be very very close to the mystic depending on which plastic and tooling you threw. The Andros are fun discs.

Alright, got my Element Proto Mids (two of each) in today and got in the 18 holes plus a handful of field throws. Here we go...
(Disclaimer- I'm in the max 300' club, backhand and forehand... Typically BH a fairway around 275' and FH one around 250')

Proto3 (My flight numbers- 4/2/.25/2.5)
•Very shallow but still comfortable backhand and forehand. Pancake flat. Felt fantastic forehand, this is a mid made for people who like flicking flat discs.
•Very firm plastic, a little bit of tackiness but sort of smooth
•Virtually no glide, very easy to range, which is great for a disc like this
•Starts fading very quickly out of the hand... It makes a C shaped flight but the fade isn't too dumpy considering the HSS
•Awesome for all sorts of recovery shots... FH rollers, skips, pancake skips
•Headwinds (~15 mph) had virtually no effect on this disc
•The Zone comparisons seems pretty spot on, but this feels/flies closer to a true mid instead of a tweener and IMO has a little more HSS and a little less LSS

Proto4 (My flight ratings- 4.5/4/-1.5/.5)
•Extremely shallow and the convex part where the rim meets flight plate made it extremely uncomfortable in a BH power grip and felt odd FH too. If you have above average sized hands like me, it is hard to get your fingers under this disc.
• Very firm plastic, smoother than the Proto3 plastic. However, for some reason I feel like this blend will end up being tackier after seasoning.
•Off the shelf beat Roc (in flight, not feel obviously)
•It has a good amount of turn, but it kicks in late in the flight, even thrown flat and is sweeping, not a hard cut
•Great glide for a brand new disc... Probably will be bonkers with some seasoning.
•Forward fade. Not much of it, but predictable... Always stabled up before landing
•Loves a tailwind... Flies dead nuts straight thrown flat with one. Favorite shot of my round today; >400' hole, slight downhill angle the whole way, ~15 mph tailwind. Ripped this thing flat and it rode with the tightest s curve I've ever seen right down the center of the fairway. Had a 50-60' jump putt attempt that I sailed.

So in conclusion... Both discs will remain in my bag for the time being as part of my Faction mid line up (Sobeks, Proto3s, Bigger Bird Flat Top Rocs, Proto4s). I really liked the feel of the Proto3 but was less impressed with the flight than I expected to be. Still useful, just a little closer to the Sobek than I wanted, I was hoping for a "Zone3" type flight... Slightly faster and a little less OS. Hopefully some seasoning will get it there. I loved the flight of the Proto4, it has the right kind of turn for an US mid to start with, late and gradual. But I hate the feel... Maybe I'll get used to it, but it is a testament to how nice the Proto4 flies for me to bag it despite the feel.

Great first midrange offerings from Element and are nice slower/more traditional Mids (as opposed to Andros) for Faction throwers.

The sobek is a bit more OS than the zone and the Proto3 is a bit US. The sobek and proto3 make a good combo when fresh.

I've been beating my proto3 in and it flies excellently, much more straight to fade.

The proto4 will gain more glide as it wears in. The flatness hurts the glide, but makes it easier to range. These are definitely very different discs.

The sobek is a bit more OS than the zone and the Proto3 is a bit US. The sobek and proto3 make a good combo when fresh.

I've been beating my proto3 in and it flies excellently, much more straight to fade.

The proto4 will gain more glide as it wears in. The flatness hurts the glide, but makes it easier to range. These are definitely very different discs.

Right on. I was actually surprised by how much glide the Proto4 had, especially despite its flatness.

Element Plutonium NOW AVAILABLE

The Plutonium is now PDGA approved and available - this was the original proto2 disc.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Speed: 3 / Glide: 3 / Turn: 0 / Fade: 1

Element Discs is proud to introduce its second disc to the market, the PDGA-approved Plutonium.

This stable putt and approach is a versatile putter that holds the line it is put on. When thrown flat, the Plutonium will resist turn at high speeds but also has a slow gentle fade with a soft finish. No need to worry about skipping by the basket, as the Plutonium sits down just like the Iridium. This disc is a little faster than most putters so it is perfect for those shots in between putter and mid. Also finds a place in the putting game with a slightly shallow rim with small bead, which some find more comfortable in the hand.

It's available here - http://www.elementdiscs.com/store/p335/Element_Discs_Plutonium_-_FIRST_RUN.html