• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever seen something so blatantly against the rules, yet you didn't call it?

All the time at leagues. For every 10 league players we have around probably only 4 of them have ever been in an event associated with the pdga. The leagues here are fun and easy going.

But back on topic one doubles league last year the first person putted and it ended up hanging vertical on one of the nubs on the top of the basket. Next partner putted and hit left side of the chains but shook the basket enough for the disc hanging to fall in. Clearly that is no way a two because the disc was at rest but guess what we counted it had and a good laugh.

Provided the league isn't sanctioned by anything that defines the rules for them, I don't see why a league can't have its own set of rules. You could make a league where everyone must be airborn when releasing the disc to be a proper throw. You could have a rule that every odd hole must be shot with a forehand only. Its really up to the league (if it is independent) isn't it?

One of the first times I played at a particular local course, I wound up going around with a guy who had pruning shears in his bag. A couple of times, he got into the rough and started clipping the bushes. I asked him what he was doing, and noted it was not cool (said something like, hey, public property...). He replied, well they need to clear this anyway. Funny thing was he only trimmed to improve his lie. I've never seen the guy since, and would avoid him if I did.

I carry a chainsaw and pole pruner. ;)

As I haven't yet played in leagues or tournaments (next year, most likely), I'd think I'd want my league to mimic tournament rule standards. Then again, that's just what I'm used to in every other sport I've ever played.

Drinking during the round. I was even offered a beer by the guilty party. Later on in that round there were people firing up something that wasn't tobacco, in close proximity to the Juniors card no less. I seriously could have had half of my division DQ'ed.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Good thing you didn't, that would be so lame.

Would you be ok with people smoking Ciggerettes next to the juniors?

I know some guys that jump at the basket from 5' out like Michael Jordan. It's always friendly rounds, so I've never called that. We're going to be getting tags in a bit, and I'll have to start calling them there.

Good thing you didn't, that would be so lame.

Would you be ok with people smoking Ciggerettes next to the juniors?

Beer and illegal substances are against PDGA rules. Cigarettes are not. Except for worlds. (I think that's the only event) I may be mistaken on that. I know there's at least one event where no tobacco products are allowed at all, including chew and ecigs, even though ecigs are not classified by the FDA as a tobacco product.

Because you're new and got the cold shoulder, let it go this once. But the next time....

Get the rule book, punch a hole through the corner and clip it to the outside of your bag, where ALL can see it. Hopefully, they'll get the hint. If they don't, unclip it and [heh heh] throw the book at them. Literally, if you have to. And if they ostrasize you, THEY WEREN'T WORTH PLAYING WITH ANYWAYS.

On $5 Sunday dubs, I ignore the little things---the marker nudge, playing out of order, alcohol, shirtlessness, etc. Unless someone aces---then the magnifying glass comes out.

When I'm playing with people for fun I let them know when they violate tourney rules because most of the time they have only been playing a short time and don't know the rules.

A great example was the other day A player would putt inside the circle and take a step back so he could step forward to his mark as he was putting. I informed him this was a rules No-No. But I didn't care that he kept doing it the rest of the round.

When I play in leagues or doubles and money is on the line I will call any rules violation I see. I don't care who the player is. Most players that play these events are fairly experienced and know the rules. They just do as they please because no one calls them on it. Before you know it everyone is fudging the rules.

If they cop attitude I'll just remind them that they are cheating and I don't appreciate you breaking the rules to try and win my money.

For the most part people are generally good about the rules around here. Some players still don't seem to understand what a falling putt is, but they are usually people that are not going to cash anyways.

Weeklies and leagues I generally consider practice and first steps to competitive play, and I very rarely give real warnings or penalties in such a casual setting. However, I always do mention that they are/were breaking a rule, and in a tournament people will call it, so they should learn not to do it again so it doesn't bite them in the ass in the future. I try to be very friendly while educating people on the rules, and most of them take it quite well. If they blatantly keep breaking a rule when I've already told them what the rule is and that they should be aware of the rule, then I'll call them on it.

And in a real tournament, I'll call it. They should know the rules by then. I don't really even have any choice but to call it, as if I don't call it, it will be me breaking the rules, and I don't want to do that. It can even be phrased like that sometimes. "Sorry, but I'll have to call you on that rule, as if I didn't, I'd be breaking the rules myself."

That's the way to do it. I say something like "You realize that in a real tournament that would be a violation." and let it go at that.

A great example was the other day A player would putt inside the circle and take a step back so he could step forward to his mark as he was putting. I informed him this was a rules No-No. But I didn't care that he kept doing it the rest of the round.

As long as he doesn't step past the marker and is releasing when his foot is within 30 cm of the marker, on the line, then this is legal.

I'm a rules Nazi.
I'd call somebody pushing a bush out of the way, but everybody expects me to call stuff.

Smoking, Dress Code, Stepping on Mini, Drinking are all thigns I haven't called. Probably makes me a bad embassador to the sport... Besides foot faults, the other three are things the TD knew were going on and didn't call himself, but I should probably say something. Its why I like A Tiers & Majors, the feeling is more professional. You dont have to make that call. You'ld never see Tiger have to report Mickelson because he was wearing a tank top or drinking a beer on the course. Nor should we have to as players.

I give a warning for Am3 players.

I played a tournament about a month ago. The guy set his foot behind his disc, picked it up, and threw it again. It was only his 2nd, or 3rd tournament. Yes he should know all of the rules, but I told him that if it happens again I would have to call it. I can remember other times this has happened, like someone "flipping their disc" instead of marking it.

Smoking, Dress Code, Stepping on Mini, Drinking are all thigns I haven't called. Probably makes me a bad embassador to the sport... Besides foot faults, the other three are things the TD knew were going on and didn't call himself, but I should probably say something. Its why I like A Tiers & Majors, the feeling is more professional. You dont have to make that call. You'ld never see Tiger have to report Mickelson because he was wearing a tank top or drinking a beer on the course. Nor should we have to as players.

Not trying to be inflammatory, but i really don't like this post. Especially from a player who competes as much as yourself. You're basically saying you enjoy playing bigger events where other people take responsibility for enforcing the rules because you don't like to. The only way the culture will change is for the players to work for change and enforce the rules. If someone is smoking pot or drinking in a sanctioned event will tell them to stop. If they don't i'll go to the td. If the td feels like its cool because its his buddy and its not a big deal then i'll go over his head to the pdga and report both of them.

I've definitely got the rep of being a Richard when it comes to the rules. One person who shall remain nameless, picks up his lie, then proceeds to step over what was his lie to putt or approach, sometimes as much as three feet past. I'll tell him in a deadpan: "that's cheating" and compare it to ball golf(which he also plays) where someone would better their lie by moving the ball. Problem is he also has a psychotic side that whilst screaming, throws his entire bag at the basket should he miss a birdie putt(and get this: about his outburst he says things like "Oh, that was nothing, you should see when I REALLY get angry."). Now there is no way, even as big a rule Nazi as I am, that I'm going to call a courtesy violation on a frothing lunatic bent on destruction over something as inconsequential as a missed birdie putt during a casual round(for no other reason than I like my face the way it is- non bludgeoned), but yes, my entire being wants to scream: "Violation!" especially when after a round filled with rules violations on his part he'll state how he's "bored with always winning by such large margins". Needless to say, I don't play with him if I can avoid it, but sometimes it can't be helped and I just know I'm going to be biting my tongue the entire round and essentially hoping he wins so as to not unleash his Mr. Hyde impersonation on us all. This is no plea for advice, just a cathartic practice, but Thank you DGCR for letting me vent my frustration.

Rules are rules when I am paying for an event. Casual rounds I ask someone why they are doing "xyz" if its blatant crap.

I call inside the circle walk putts anywhere every time.

Footing if its close i dont care

Once witnessed a (non-sanctioned, weekly) league player blow up on a hole after missing his triple bogey putt. Felt a little bad for him, but he tends to throw stuff (hat, etc) when fuming. He pitched his bag at the basket after the missed putt. My first thought was, 'in a sanctioned event, that's 15+ discs, each, by rule, constituting a practice throw, and each a mandatory two stroke penalty...' ;)

Latest posts