• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever seen something so blatantly against the rules, yet you didn't call it?

Not trying to be inflammatory, but i really don't like this post. Especially from a player who competes as much as yourself. You're basically saying you enjoy playing bigger events where other people take responsibility for enforcing the rules because you don't like to. The only way the culture will change is for the players to work for change and enforce the rules. If someone is smoking pot or drinking in a sanctioned event will tell them to stop. If they don't i'll go to the td. If the td feels like its cool because its his buddy and its not a big deal then i'll go over his head to the pdga and report both of them.

No, I acknowledged I should call these when I see them. But my point was that in larger events people just DO the right thing and no one has to make a call. Not that I let it get away in bigger events. My example of Tiger and Phil illustrated that. It is just known you dont wear pajamas in a PGA event. No one does, so no one needs to be called for dress code violation. Our sport should be the same, and is closer to that in major events but lacking in b &C's.
The players are more serious so they dress and behave better. It should be that way in every tournament.

I'm a rules Nazi.
I'd call somebody pushing a bush out of the way, but everybody expects me to call stuff.

I hate using the N-word (it's insulting and inappropriate), but other than that, I'm in the same boat. I enjoy and take pride in having the reputation that I know the rules and will call the rules. As a result, people tend to watch themselves or attempt to comply with the rules more closely when they play with me. That means when I play with someone who does violate a rule, either blatantly or unintentionally, it's a bit of a surprise and generally it's someone I don't know so I tend to err on the side of caution and attempt to educate first rather than slap them with an official warning or penalty. This is especially the case in casual or league type settings (since mostly my tournament play is with other Open players who know or should know the rules). Regardless, I have a hard time not saying anything at all. I still want to educate even if the "culture" of wherever I'm playing is more laid back.

Once witnessed a (non-sanctioned, weekly) league player blow up on a hole after missing his triple bogey putt. Felt a little bad for him, but he tends to throw stuff (hat, etc) when fuming. He pitched his bag at the basket after the missed putt. My first thought was, 'in a sanctioned event, that's 15+ discs, each, by rule, constituting a practice throw, and each a mandatory two stroke penalty...' ;)

I don't care what the setting is, I would never let a player get away with that kind of behavior without saying something. Tournament, league, or casual play, there's no excuse of that, particularly the bag throw into the basket.

In tournament play, at the very least he's getting a courtesy warning. Calling each disc in the thrown bag as a practice throw would at least be threatened if he won't calm down.

In league or casual play, I'm still warning him, though probably more in the "quit being an a-hole" manner than a rule book courtesy warning. Only way a temperamental child (and I don't care how old the player is, acts like that are the acts of a child) will correct their behavior is to be called out for it. The more often they're called on it, the more it will sink in that it's unacceptable. I'd rather give the guy crap about his tantrum until he gets so frustrated he leaves than just let him continue with the behavior.

It's always going to be a warning the first time from me...casual play, league, dubs, sanctioned tourney, etc...

I was TD at an c-tier that was 60 miles from my house. A guy on my card considers the course we played on his home course. On one of the holes he teed off from 3' to the right of the clearly marked (spray painted on pavement) teebox to avoid a small limb about 8' off the ground and 10' in front of the teebox. I called him on that and he says "we dont play that way in league. I always tee off from here." I had to remind him that this isnt league play, and that it's not fair that he does that when everyone else tees from within the box. He got all pissy and was just like "fine! give me a stroke", to which I just stated that I wasnt trying to give him strokes, and was just trying to keep things fair.

If it's just a weekly dubs with no high stakes and they just got a circle 6 in doubles I just wouldn't say anything and go on. But if I do call it, it's usually in a kind manner and telling them that they're not allowed to do that. Do not use the word wrong. And I usually just say it'll be a warning and brush it off.

But in a PDGA event I would call it no matter what circumstance.

^This. Generally people who are in first place know the rules, don't need to break the rules to win or get the edge because they play regularly in tourneys. Its kind of the same in my area where our weekly dubbs league draws 50-60 people. I would say that 20 or so are really solid good players being top level advanced players/open guys. Then there are about 10-15 who know the rules but just are simply not that good and then about 50-60% of the rest of the field basically only plays at that course, footfault regularly, move bushes out of the way and are out to have a good time. Its usually the same group of 20 or so in the $$$$ the majority of the time depending on draws that week. If your curious, Yes I have played in PDGA events before, yes I have been playing for many years now. I have gotten to the point where I understand everyones level of committment to disc golf is not the same but I do also realize the ones who are doing little things to gain an advantage are already at a disadvantage in skill.

Good thing you didn't, that would be so lame.

Would you be ok with people smoking Ciggerettes next to the juniors?
Bad thing I (and everyone else who was witness to said act) didn't. We weren't enforcing the rules. I might point out that this was at a PDGA B-tier event.

That being said, word of the activity did eventually get back to the TD, who thereafter has given explicit warnings about such behavior at player's meetings.

A great example was the other day A player would putt inside the circle and take a step back so he could step forward to his mark as he was putting. I informed him this was a rules No-No. But I didn't care that he kept doing it the rest of the round.

:\

As long as he doesn't step past the marker and is releasing when his foot is within 30 cm of the marker, on the line, then this is legal.

:hfive:
I am with Thumber on this one, what Fred described is not against the rules. As long as his plant foot landed within 30 cm behind the marker disc before he released it and he didn't step past the marker to maintain balance there is no rule broken.

I could share a story about the first (and most recent) tournament in which I played, during the first round… but it's a bit too soon and Internet Detectives will piece too much together. :)

I could share a story about the first (and most recent) tournament in which I played, during the first round… but it's a bit too soon and Internet Detectives will piece too much together. :)
What's the Statute of limitation here:D You have my curiosity peaked.

New013 and I ignored 2 extreme foot faults during a PDGA Tourney round once. Both times the guy was hemmed up on a tree and stepped about 2 ft off his lie to throw a backhand. However in both cases the shot was so horrible that New and I just looked at each other and shrugged.

You know I need to hear this story.

My first thought was, 'in a sanctioned event, that's 15+ discs, each, by rule, constituting a practice throw, and each a mandatory two stroke penalty...' ;)

I don't believe that would be the case. More likely grounds for DQ.

3.3 Player Misconduct

The PDGA adopts a strict policy of appropriate behavior during events, as well as appropriate comments to the media. Any conduct deemed to be unprofessional is subject to disqualification by the Tournament Director, and may also be subject to further disciplinary actions from the PDGA.

Players are expected to behave in a professional and sportsmanlike manner while participating in a PDGA sanctioned event. Actions that are in violation of this conduct include but are not limited to:

Repeated and overt use of abusive or profane language

Throwing items in anger (other than discs in play)

Overt rudeness to anyone present

Willful and overt destruction, abuse or vandalism of property, including animal and plant life

Cheating: a willful attempt to circumvent the rules of play

Physical attacks or threatening behavior to anyone present

Activities which are in violation of Federal, State or Local laws or ordinances, park regulation or disc golf course rule. Tournament Directors are granted the discretion to disqualify a player based on the severity of the offending conduct. An official warning prior to disqualification may be issued by a Tournament Director where appropriate.

The possession of illegal substances in violation of Federal, State or Local laws. The use of marijuana is not permitted at PDGA events, regardless of the possession of a medical marijuana card.

Excessive use of alcohol at the tournament site.

Possession of alcohol from the start of play until the player's scorecard is submitted is not allowed. Such possession shall result in immediate disqualification at PDGA events sanctioned at B-Tier or higher. The Tournament Director may, at his sole discretion, elect to issue a warning to the offending player in lieu of disqualification solely at PDGA events sanctioned at C-tier and below. If a player has been previously issued a warning for alcohol possession at the same event, all subsequent violations shall result in immediate disqualification.

Overt failure or refusal to enforce the rules of disc golf during competition.

Failure or refusal to cooperate with, or obstruction of any investigation by an official into the competitor's conduct or the conduct of another competitor.

Deliberately seeking to manipulate ones player rating through intentional misplay or withdrawal.

Tournament Directors are required to report any disqualifications to the PDGA as quickly as possible.

Disqualified players shall forfeit any prize money or merchandise and shall not receive a refund of entry fees.

Players who commit Player Misconduct may also be subject to disciplinary actions. To find out more information, see the PDGA Disciplinary Process

So I was playing dubs at league last week, this was my first time playing in the local clubs dubs league. I tried saying hi to people and introducing myself but nobody really talked to me. People were even giving me the stink eye i guess because they didn't know me. Kind of got the feelin like if they didn't know you, you're not welcome...

I would love to discuss call/not call with you fine folk, but I suggest that bending back branches/sloppy marking/ sloppy stance/etc in a local club event are just symptoms of a greater problem.

The OP gave us a good hint to the real problem in their first paragraph; The local club and their events have become exclusive. They probably don't even know they have reached such an admirable position. They have somehow lost the ability to include a newcomer/beginner/visitor.

It usually happens slowly. What begins as an "all come" event gradually morphs. For dubs they abandon a true pro/am pairing because its more fun to see who gets the luck of the draw and gets a HotDoubledigitUnder partner. Winning back your paltry entry fee becomes more important than making a new friend. New folk are seen as "chickens" and the gifted golfers become "hawks".

Do you see how bending the rules fits perfectly into their new identity as an exclusive club?

Kudos to the clubs that are genuine ambassadors of the sport. Shame to those who are not. I suspect your elite nature is doing more to damage the sport than a whole pile of uncalled infractions.

Ron

The OP gave us a good hint to the real problem in their first paragraph

Maybe, maybe not. How big is/was the ace pot?

I've run across a few clubs where the regulars don't look kindly on non-regulars showing up, especially if they're first-timers and/or out-of-towners, when the ace pot goes above a certain level, particularly if it's an uncapped, non-vested pot. (Can't say I necessarily blame them: there have been a few times around here over the years where non-regulars and out-of-towners have shown up for weekly doubles when there's been a big ace pot and bailed immediately when someone hit an ace, screwing their partners in the process. Only has to happen a couple of times before, rightly or wrongly, regulars get suspicious toward strangers when the ace pot grows to a certain level.)

Still comes down to whether they are taken to be "in play" or not.
The guy just missed a putt so the putter would be the disc in play. He threw his bag. I think there's a difference.

About the stroke per disc comment earlier:
What if the guy was a minimalist and only carried two discs? Why should his penalty be less than a guy that carries 20 discs.

Latest posts