• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever seen something so blatantly against the rules, yet you didn't call it?

Hmm...bag throwing also appears as a courtesy violation in the rulebook. That would make it a warning with a penalty occurring for the second violation that is seconded.

So do you issue a warning or go for the DQ? Fun stuff!

801.04 Courtesy

Players should not throw until they are certain that the thrown disc will not distract another player or potentially injure anyone present.

Players should watch the other members of their group throw in order to aid in locating errant throws and to ensure compliance with the rules.

Players should take care not to produce any auditory or visual distractions while other players are throwing. Distracting actions include: shouting, cursing, freestyling, striking course equipment, throwing out of turn, throwing or kicking golf bags, throwing minis, and advancing on the fairway beyond the away player. Shouting at an appropriate time to warn someone in danger of being struck by a disc is not a courtesy violation.

Refusal to perform an action expected by the rules, such as assisting in the search for a lost disc, moving discs or equipment, or keeping score properly, is a courtesy violation.

Littering is a courtesy violation.

Courtesy dictates that players who smoke should not allow their smoke to disturb other players. Disposing of a cigarette butt by dropping it on the ground is littering.

A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any affected player, even if from another group, or by an official. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may result in disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. How big is/was the ace pot?

I've run across a few clubs where the regulars don't look kindly on non-regulars showing up, especially if they're first-timers and/or out-of-towners, when the ace pot goes above a certain level, particularly if it's an uncapped, non-vested pot. (Can't say I necessarily blame them: there have been a few times around here over the years where non-regulars and out-of-towners have shown up for weekly doubles when there's been a big ace pot and bailed immediately when someone hit an ace, screwing their partners in the process. Only has to happen a couple of times before, rightly or wrongly, regulars get suspicious toward strangers when the ace pot grows to a certain level.)

That's so amazing just to even consider walking off a course after someone hits an ace?? Where/when/who has ever done this?

I'll show for doubles when I hear about a big ace pot just to try to hit it -- granted these are local clubs that I know and know me, but still everyone knows that I'm there to try to hit an ace. Makes sense, winning doubles is $12, hitting an ace is 20 times that -- or whatever, why not huck it at the basket??

I can't see anyone (especially a non-local) actually walking off the course if someone hit an ace after they've gone to the trouble to get there, get entered, get a partner, etc. Why wouldn't the guy just finish the round and try to split the big ace pot? I've been in local events where I'll know the guy that got an ace and ace run even more baskets just to try to split it with him!! (I have a tournament ace, was in the ace-pot, and did not get paid . . .how is this possible? [it's a trick question, whacky tournament format . . . ])

Again -- I've played hundreds of doubles rounds over the years and the only time I've seen anyone leave is when they're getting heckled to death by the group or drunk out of their minds and wander off lost -- but no one's ever said -- "Oh, someone got an ace, I'm going home."

??

Did I just take the bait? (I hope.) :eek:

Maybe, maybe not. How big is/was the ace pot?

I've run across a few clubs where the regulars don't look kindly on non-regulars showing up, especially if they're first-timers and/or out-of-towners, when the ace pot goes above a certain level, particularly if it's an uncapped, non-vested pot. )

Thank you kind sir. You have expanded my lexicon. I can now use the term "non-regular" to describe those who would attend a local event as a visitor, out-of towner, newcomer, or beginner. Congratulations to your club for reaching elite status.

Ron

I'll call people on angrily throwing their stuff, because that's disrespectful for players, the course and the tournament.

I'll call that every single time.

What really ges me is the people who only sometimes call it. Like I that guy foot faults but made it they will call it but I that person misses you hear nothing. That IMO is worse.

Good vibe or tension?

This is a tough one & has been discussed before. If you dont call them on the first infraction, they just keep moving bushes in the future & who knows what else? Maybe break a few more rules because they dont know?
Or you can call them on it. But know this. They may take it wrong. They may get all pissed off at you & then you become the Rules Nazi. There is a lot of tension, etc. Maybe your game suffers because you called somebdoy on a rules violation & now there is this tension, bad vibes, etc.
If you approach them carefully they may just accept your information & will not have a problem with it (or you) ever again. Good luck with that!
Personally whenever I see a rule being broken I hope that somebody else calls it! I dont want to deal with that! :p

P.S. Find a friend! Find somebody else who has seen the rules violation & team up on the rule breaker! This spreads the load if he/she turns on you with hell-fire damnation! :D

That's so amazing just to even consider walking off a course after someone hits an ace?? Where/when/who has ever done this?

I'll show for doubles when I hear about a big ace pot just to try to hit it -- granted these are local clubs that I know and know me, but still everyone knows that I'm there to try to hit an ace. Makes sense, winning doubles is $12, hitting an ace is 20 times that -- or whatever, why not huck it at the basket??

I can't see anyone (especially a non-local) actually walking off the course if someone hit an ace after they've gone to the trouble to get there, get entered, get a partner, etc. Why wouldn't the guy just finish the round and try to split the big ace pot?

Not every club or league splits the ace pot. Some only pays for the first ace, once someone hits one, the pot's gone.

Last edited:
What really ges me is the people who only sometimes call it. Like I that guy foot faults but made it they will call it but I that person misses you hear nothing. That IMO is worse.

I think that in some cases the rules are written to encourage the situation that you mention. I agree that we should not selectively enforce the rules, but if an opponent foot faults while missing an easy putt, the warning + re-throw become a bonus and not a penalty. In issuing the warning, we give an opponent an opportunity to regain a throw without any penalty ... except that he/she could give that throw back if they foot fault again during the round.

One can look somewhat stupid by giving an opponent another chance at a 10-footer just so a warning can be issued. But yes, I agree, it is called for in the rules. And the rules also say players must call all infractions.

We called a guy last winter on crossing in front of us when we were focusing on putting. He wasn't a bad player, just socially unconscious, like many self-centered individuals nowadays.

He got huffy and quit playing with us.

We don't miss him.

Not every club or league splits the ace pot. Some only pays for the first ace, once someone hits one, the pot's gone.

That's silly unfair to the groups that start on the harder baskets -- I've never heard of that, where is that?