• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Every course is a pay to play...

...i think everyone would agree . . .

This says more than anything else you have written so far.

There are a lot of people who do not understand what "cost" means. The OP was obviously confused even about what he was writing when he titled his post "Every course is pay TO PLAY" (my emphasis). He went on to blather about whether courses cost someone, somewhere, something - a rant obliviously unaware of its lack of connection to the thread title.

Plenty of courses, indeed the majority are free to play. No course can be built without someone expending some kind of energy, time and/or cost to do so, but that is unrelated to the cost to play it. It can cost to build, maintain, advertise, rate, name, design or visit a course and yet that course can still be free to play. For some, it can even be profitable to play a course.

Using the argument that nothing is free makes "free" something akin to a ghost or unicorn or 350', par two hole - a named idea not based on any reasonable interpretation of facts. However, "free," in the economic sense, is simply a statement about cost, like the cost of the air we breathe. You can waste your time talking about energy expenditure to breathe the air, the cost of obtaining the food and water that your body must convert into the energy required for your body to expend for every breath, or you can just be reasonable and agree that the air is, indeed, free.

But, and this is important, not everyone is reasonable or capable of reasoned thought; so no, everyone cannot agree.

Fair enough.

But I actually saw Felix Unger draw it out on the blackboard once, that thing about assumptions.

The point is that even though YOU don't 'pay' for that round - somebody does and is a reaction to those who steal while being given...

I could see paying $50 for a great day of disc golf... one day I hope to find the course that I feel is worthy of that much coin.

$50 to throw frisbees? The amenities better be amazing.

When I visited Selah last year I met 10 Texan thirtysomethings who were paying $20 greens and $20 carts per day plus $25 each for the daily farmhouse rental, so $65 each, per day.
It must have been worth it---they had boxes of extra discs (I watched them throw 12 in the water on #7 in one round) and cases of 64 oz Heineken magnums.

that all sounds pretty Texan, though i would have guessed cases of Shiner or Lone Star

I could see paying $50 for a great day of disc golf... one day I hope to find the course that I feel is worthy of that much coin.

some come pretty close for me

$50 to throw frisbees? The amenities better be amazing.

if it's the amenities that i'm paying for then the course is easily not worth it. i want the course where the GOLF is worth 50 bones. i could see it for a private course on perfect DG terrain that is well maintained by the owner, especially with 2 courses on site. i'd gladly pay that (occasionally) for 2 A+ courses where i knew the money was paying for the effort of the owner.

as it is, when my wallet allows i usually double the fee on private courses as a donation. for any fee under 10 i just leave a 20

Last edited:
When I visited Selah last year I met 10 Texan thirtysomethings who were paying $20 greens and $20 carts per day plus $25 each for the daily farmhouse rental, so $65 each, per day.
It must have been worth it---they had boxes of extra discs (I watched them throw 12 in the water on #7 in one round) and cases of 64 oz Heineken magnums.

That sounds like all of my Selah trips except the farmhouse. Didn't go this year-first time in years.