• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Evil Tree: 2 TX: 0

It is a public park. The maintenance of the course is as described above.

You should have asked permission. Everyone cutting away the part of a course that they don't like is a poor way to maintain a park. That you keep loppers with you seems to point to your doing this on a regular basis or do you do landscape work?

You should have asked permission. Everyone cutting away the part of a course that they don't like is a poor way to maintain a park. That you keep loppers with you seems to point to your doing this on a regular basis or do you do landscape work?

I had them because I was doing yard work. I have never modified anything on the course.

In this particular instance, I could not care less about your opinion. I have been very explicit about what I did and why I did it and how limited it was to very particular situation.

You can think whatever you like at this point. Say whatever you want. It is completely irrelevant to this incident. You seem to have a holier than thou vibe going on.

You should prove your worthiness before you comment further.

I had them because I was doing yard work. I have never modified anything on the course.

In this particular instance, I could not care less about your opinion. I have been very explicit about what I did and why I did it and how limited it was to very particular situation.

You can think whatever you like at this point. Say whatever you want. It is completely irrelevant to this incident. You seem to have a holier than thou vibe going on.

You should prove your worthiness before you comment further.

Uh, you know he's correct, though, right?

I am fairly confident, that any park system, after being shown the pic on this thread, would likely hold off closing the course, pulling the baskets and charging txmxer with vandalism. The simple safety considerations, in removing the finger sized, broken branch seem to provide enough mitigating circumstance to prevent jail time.

Of course, nobody should make any habit of course landscaping without authorization, but let's have a little application of good sense.

Boy, this kind of got off the rails, huh?

Uh, you know he's correct, though, right?

He is correct that we don't want random individuals modifying courses. This did not in any way modify the course. Taking action on something that is unsafe is being responsible.

So no, he is not correct. You know that right?

If there was a gopher hole in the fairway and I put dirt in it, you gonna tell me I'm modifying the course?

He is correct that we don't want random individuals modifying courses. This did not in any way modify the course. Taking action on something that is unsafe is being responsible.

So no, he is not correct. You know that right?

If there was a gopher hole in the fairway and I put dirt in it, you gonna tell me I'm modifying the course?

You ARE the definition of "a random individual."

You admit you're new-ish to the game, not part of the regular maintenance volunteer group, and cutting limbs off of tree, regardless of how ungraceful you were around it, IS altering the course.

Instead of getting salty about your mistake, you should chalk it up as a learning experience and not do it again. Not talk back to people who are gently trying to say, "Uh, hey that may not be the kosher thing to do..."

The best thing you could have done is report the issue to either the club volunteers who do the actual real work on the course, OR the parks department.

Woods are dangerous. Every time you're in the woods, does that mean you're cutting chit down?

Trees aren't evil: self-righteous douches who cut other peoples' properties without permission are evil. :p :rolleyes:

I am fairly confident, that any park system, after being shown the pic on this thread, would likely hold off closing the course, pulling the baskets and charging txmxer with vandalism. The simple safety considerations, in removing the finger sized, broken branch seem to provide enough mitigating circumstance to prevent jail time.

Of course, nobody should make any habit of course landscaping without authorization, but let's have a little application of good sense.

Boy, this kind of got off the rails, huh?

thank you.

Apparently some cannot read. The course is maintained and modified by volunteers. The City does not do it. I know that that group would be the ones to do work on the course.

This is as you said, a finger sized branch on an 80 foot oak tree the is part of a clump of branches.

If this had been a mesquite tree covered in thorns, I wouldn't touch it. Why because it is what it is. If it had been a cactus, I wouldn't modify that. This was a broken branch that needed to be clipped.

I can additionally tell you that I have searched to try and find out where this group of people derive from that have been doing work on the course to offer to volunteer to assist.

There is a facebook group. That page was last updated in May when they did the tournament. But, someone has been out in recent weeks spreading wood chips around teepads and baskets all over the course, digging a trench to shunt water from a low tee pad, etc.

but, google cannot seem to point me to the folks that are doing that work.

So, I chose to address a blatant concern so nobody else gets hurt. I could have tried to snap it off in the moment, but knowing I had put the loppers in the truck I wanted to do it in the least harmful manner to the tree.

For the record, in case nobody reads above--the is the first and only time I've done something of this nature. (this is a repeat) I would NEVER modify a course of my on volition without working with those that have taken responsibility for it's management.

You ARE the definition of "a random individual."

You admit you're new-ish to the game, not part of the regular maintenance volunteer group, and cutting limbs off of tree, regardless of how ungraceful you were around it, IS altering the course.

Instead of getting salty about your mistake, you should chalk it up as a learning experience and not do it again. Not talk back to people who are gently trying to say, "Uh, hey that may not be the kosher thing to do..."

The best thing you could have done is report the issue to either the club volunteers who do the actual real work on the course, OR the parks department.

Woods are dangerous. Every time you're in the woods, does that mean you're cutting chit down?

Trees aren't evil: self-righteous douches who cut other peoples' properties without permission are evil. :p :rolleyes:

this is idiotic. You are extrapolating this to something it is not.

No, idiotic is hurting yourself doing something you shouldn't have been doing in the first place, then coming online to brag about it. :rolleyes:

Look juke, I didn't intend for this to go down the toilet. I didn't post this to brag.

It was just sharing an event.

What I have no regerts about is taking action to insure what happened to me didn't happen to anyone else.

I would also highlight that I'm probably going to be a lot more cautious in the future so it is unlikely I will gash my head again.

I did what I did purely to make sure nobody else had an injury from that particular pointy branch. It had a .00000001 % effect on the play of the hole. I'm not a child. My decision making skills are quite solid.

Of course trees are not evil —lighten up.

With regard to the course—yes I'm a relatively new player. I have sought on multiple occasions to identify those that work on the course. Strangely enough it has not been easy to find them.

There is a Facebook page but it was last updated in May. So, given the drama here I sent a message to said page. Said i would be happy to assist if they are doing course work.

The response was basically no worries, it's a labor of love.

I still intend to contribute to the course.

In the same situation I would do exactly the same thing.

Update time...Looks like surgery is not recommended. Some of you may know a lot about this--I'm learning. This is what I learned today.

The bicep attaches below the elbow (distal end) and at the shoulder (proximal end). The distal end has a single attachment point AKA insertion point. The proximal end has two insertion points. A tear on the distal end requires repair as the muscle can no longer function. On the proximal end, a tear of one insertion point is frequently left alone and the person recovers to essentially normal function. The remaining intact tendon does more work and it is possible that there may be some slight weakness, but full recovery is generally 4 to 5 weeks. Limited activity for a couple of weeks.

They only do surgery to fix it if you have complications (pain and weakness) or aesthetics such as body builders.

There are times when a person is dealing with tendon issues that they will actually cut the tendon to relieve pain.

I admit I am a bit concerned about this moving forward and playing disc golf. I don't know if playing a lot of DG had a negative impact on the tendon making it weaker and thus being some part of the root cause.

I have beat up my shoulder pretty good over the years, separations, dislocations, torn ligament surgically repaired. But, it's been doing pretty well. Sometimes a little painful, but I didn't expect the tendon to pop.

proximal%20biceps%20tendon%201.png

Has anyone here been through something like this? Playing with a ruptured proximal tendon? What's it like?

I am assuming you told your provider that you play DG, explaining/showing the motions if necessary. Did they not recommend resting the joint for the 4 weeks or so?

I am assuming you told your provider that you play DG, explaining/showing the motions if necessary. Did they not recommend resting the joint for the 4 weeks or so?

Yes, there is some down time, but in reality, that's just to allow me time to get used to it.

I am getting a second opinion just to make sure. The motion is a concern. Not that the bicep and tendon are a big part of the the throw, but they will be exposed to the repetition.

I'll keep sharing as I learn more.

Yes, there is some down time, but in reality, that's just to allow me time to get used to it.

I am getting a second opinion just to make sure. The motion is a concern. Not that the bicep and tendon are a big part of the the throw, but they will be exposed to the repetition.

I'll keep sharing as I learn more.

Don't know if you throw FH, but that and putting can actually put good stress on that joint as well, depending on styles, so caution is in order. I'd rather throw lefty for a month or two and pick back up than go the Simon route and push too early, and be permanently affected.

As far as not being a big part of the throw--think of the force you exert right when the disc is released on a RHBH throw. Your right arm is wanting to go forward at some big number MPH. The only thing stopping your arm from detaching from your body is the...shoulder joint and tendons. We don't think about it if the joint is strong. But if not...

Thanks.

The PA was explaining the biceps primary function is actually supination. The secondary function is contraction.

One of the biggest problems in general is repetitive motion injury. Ligaments and tendons become irritated, swollen, painful.

Anyway, there is an actual procedure—I think it's a tenotomy in which they intentional release the tendon to eliminate pain. I just did it by accident.

I'll be playing lefty for a while.