• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Executing The Dream

Just scheduled a day at Coyote Trace on our way home from the annual Bluegrass festival in Owensboro KY. (Finally getting a chance to see John Prine! Woot!)

Really looking forward to seeing what a fellow Kentuckian was able to do with his slice of paradise.

^Nice! Love John Prine, although he's not exactly bluegrass. Enjoy!

I may be hitting up Coyote Trace this fall (I was planning on stopping at Holler in the Hills, but it's hard to believe it will be open then).

Well, in defense of the ROMP Festival, they do call it a bluegrass "roots and branches" festival. :thmbup:

I can't imagine things are looking too good for Howie. I really hope everything works out well for him and his family.

Healing and moving forward

Well the dream is of course the private course so that is my focus but I would be glad to hear about experience with medial meniscus damage in the mean time.

Wishing you a quick recovery, I haven't read all the way through the post yet so bear with me if you have made a full recovery already.

For what it is worth, several years back I broke my left ankle in two places spinning off the end of a tee pad. After a 7 inch metal plate and 5 screws I do not have quite the rotation I once did but still managed to be playing again in about 5 months. (boot cast) at the time. Almost exactly 1 year after on the same course I squatted down on one knee with my right leg extended behind a bush pitching out when it sounded like someone ripped a bear can in half.

I was immediately on my back writhing in pain and holding my right knee. I had torn my MCL completely away from the bone. After MRI on my knee surgery was scheduled. I was too young for a full replacement and just old enough that hey said I would likely need it replaced later. No miniscus left, small tears on ACL, complete tear on MCL (reattachment with cables) and a lateral release on my right side to pull my knee cap back into a "Normal" position. After surgery I was told running, soccer, basketball most sports would be out of the question. Basically that I would never run again or anything with quick stops or movements.

Long road of therapy and pure grit and determination I was out of a brace in 5 months, walking normal after about 7 months, Light jog at 9 months and then at almost a year I was running again and even coached soccer. Had it pop out of place a few times doing stupid things like wearing sandals on wet grass and it would swell up the size of a melon. Hurts sometimes, but don't let it keep me from playing disc golf. Still throwing 10 years later. So hang in there and keep throwing!

Wanted to share a video of my course. 9 fairways, 4 alt pins and 4 alt tee boxes for 18 holes.

That was pretty sweet, looks like you've made the most out of the land available. The top of the world shots are pretty spectacular. :clap:

That was pretty sweet, looks like you've made the most out of the land available. The top of the world shots are pretty spectacular. :clap:

Thanks. My design criteria was to keep people away from my neighbors fencing and not hit my house. Once I had that I attempted to mix up the shots and distances. I also wanted to keep it fairly easy as almost everyone who plays is a beginner.

It has been a very rewarding process and I'm really enjoying developing the 10 acres.

Hey guys... any suggestions for what to use in place of pads until we have the money for concrete. We aren't 100% positive exactly where the concrete pads will go. Needs to be played a little bit before we decide. Just using orange flags for now, but they have been mowed over a couple of times by the parks lmao.

Using just the rubber mats that Innova uses for their gravel pads seems to work; that's what they use for a lot of the teepads on Old Glory at the Hippodrome and I actually like them better than concrete pads; plenty of grip, but easier to rotate on.

If you want to stick with natural pads, I know they used some kind of plastic disc markers for Clemson's Y beach course, although most have been overgrown by the grass.

This is the only course I have played with them. There are some better pics of them in one of the threads in here somewhere or maybe on Facebook. Cedar Sentinels in Indiana.

eff49f4c_m.jpg

Awesome... thanks guys. I have spoken to Adam Jones at the Nati. I believe that we will be using a 2x4 sides and front, leaving the back open and filling with gravel (once we have the exact location of where we want the pads). The gravel will be compacted, and we can eventually use that as our base and forms for concrete pads when we are ready.

For now, we will just use the flags to mark the natural pads until we are ready for the gravel.

Also, really loved the paver idea. I have seen it used a couple of times.

fwiw, the pavers at Cedar Sentinels have pretty good grip. We played there in some slick conditions, and oddly, the stone/bricks were good for footing, but a couple of slips were noted stepping on the wooden frames.

fwiw, the pavers at Cedar Sentinels have pretty good grip. We played there in some slick conditions, and oddly, the stone/bricks were good for footing, but a couple of slips were noted stepping on the wooden frames.

Yep.... the wood frames will definitely not be there long term. The will be mostly to avoid the gravel running off from the pads... and to be used as forms for the concrete. I too have played on courses with super slick wooden frames. I really don't want that.

Rather than gravel, you could use mulch; they did this at USCA's course and it works pretty decently; you can compact it down yourself really easily, and it won't wear out your shoes like gravel can. Although for a short term solution, gravel will probably work just fine as well.

235891_g.jpg

Just when it was starting to dry out, we're hit hard by mother nature :(

Hope it clears up quick for you. We had rain for almost a week solid, but wasn't ever that bad. Is that basket in the ground or portable?

On a brighter note we snagged basket #3. Still waiting for more Mach 2s to be available though. Wait and see.

Latest posts