• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Expensive for the sake of being expensive

My example may not be a good one, but it's McPro Aviars. I'm willing to pay a little extra for a putter because I like the feel. Yes, I admit it helps that McBeast uses them, but I haven't found another putter I like quite as much. The "bottom stamps" and small "batches" are kind of annoying, if anything. But on the other hand, it means they haven't been tough to get a hold of.

On the other hand, I really liked Talons and Reapers when they were around. Now they're available, but I'd have to pay a little more. Other discs have taken their place in my bag/game, so there's no reason for me to fork over the extra cash to get them now. Nonetheless, I'm chomping at the bit to get my paws on them. It's probably only a matter of time, but right now I plan to wait until they're back to regular production runs.

My example may not be a good one, but it's McPro Aviars. I'm willing to pay a little extra for a putter because I like the feel. Yes, I admit it helps that McBeast uses them, but I haven't found another putter I like quite as much. The "bottom stamps" and small "batches" are kind of annoying, if anything. But on the other hand, it means they haven't been tough to get a hold of.

On the other hand, I really liked Talons and Reapers when they were around. Now they're available, but I'd have to pay a little more. Other discs have taken their place in my bag/game, so there's no reason for me to fork over the extra cash to get them now. Nonetheless, I'm chomping at the bit to get my paws on them. It's probably only a matter of time, but right now I plan to wait until they're back to regular production runs.
I loved me some talons. I see they are 20 bucks on the factory store, is that what you are referring to?

That being said a lot of these stock innova will gain value.
Not if people hoard them away thinking they're going to gain value some day. Regular things meant to be used as regular things only turn into collectibles when a great degree of the specimens made get consumed, destroyed or otherwise lost through use. That's why 1950's baseball cards (many of which got thrown out by moms) maintained value while 1980's baseball cards (which were overproduced anyway, and then put away in storage) aren't worth the cardboard they're printed on.

Look at stupid CE stuff. It literally is at the end of its lifetime and people are crazy over it.
Because they don't make it anymore and once that happened, the magical hype machine took over. If we still had CE plastic available today, and more people realized its downsides, I doubt that it would have the aura that it does.

I was had a bag of frisbees worth over $500. While it was cool and I got to show off, bc who does like to be the guy someone comes up to and says, "is that a really CE Firebird, I just got to a point where every throw, even on courses where I wouldn't lose a disc, was head game with myself. "What if I throw it and it smacks a tree and now the value drops by $15." All of a sudden, every throw was an expensive thought.

I still bag some semi-rare discs, but nothing that would cost me more than a dye max.

My point wasn't that not spending more than stock makes you a self righteous newb, but that it DOESNT matter to me what you throw so why should it matter to anyone what I do or what I paid for it. No matter how irrational my reasoning is for buying one disc at 45 instead of two of the hot new release or what have you. My discs are for ME to throw bit to show people during rounds or for anything else

All I'll say is that a bag of 10x Aviars, 11x Rocs, Barstamp Buzzzes, CE Leos, TBs, Eagles, Firebirds, Pre-Avery Destros and Eco xcals will not help you score better. It's not what you throw, it's how you throw.

All I'll say is that a bag of 10x Aviars, 11x Rocs, Barstamp Buzzzes, CE Leos, TBs, Eagles, Firebirds, Pre-Avery Destros and Eco xcals will not help you score better. It's not what you throw, it's how you throw.
Pssh! Says you! Anyone who is anyone knows a 11x Roc will drop your score by at least 3. :D

I think familiarity can breed confidence.
Confidence is a huge part of the mental aspect of disc golf.
I have a few discs that I have supreme confidence in because they have been discs I have used to really get me out of situations or have really had memorable shots with. If they happen to be a special edition, then it's easier to transfer that confidence over to another disc rather than a stock stamp disc.
Now, if you're a guy who can go out and play at a top pro level with anybody's bag, then your confidence may be in your skill level alone and not associated with a certain disc. Maybe, maybe not.

On the other hand, I have collected a couple of the Axiom "Halloween" discs. I did this and paid a little more for them because I loved the stamp. I dye or have discs dyed to make them more personable and I figured these were sweeter than most dyed discs out there, so why not pay a little more for them and their backups?

In the end, if you can't imagine paying more than stock prices, then don't.If you want the special editions and are willing to pay more, go right ahead. I don't see why it's a big deal?

Those self-righteous stock-price-only throwers have obviously never taken a shower with a pearly, board-flat, semi-gummy 2004 USDGC Ring of Rocs Rancho Roc.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Pirate Lawyer style.........:D

It has alot to do with superstition and nostalgia ... if someone really enjoys the grip and flight of those Sexton FB's, they realize quickly they better buy them now because they won't be made again (Innova is crafty like that). So they start bidding the **** out of them; it's strange, but for every disc their is a collector (especially Innova and Discmania stuff). I don't get nauseated until they start claiming "Oh, I'm collecting these for my kid - ya know, for their future and stuff." Cmon dude ...

Last edited:
Or it is about exactly what disc golf is supposed to be about: having fun.
Remember what Steady Ed said: "Whoever has the most fun wins."

If chasing rarer discs or tracking down a stack of long OOP throwers is fun, go for it. If it makes you happy to have a particular run, grip, plastic, stamp, whatever, and it makes you smile when you pull it out of your bag, then you are winning. I'll admit I don't get collecting for the sake of putting discs in plastic bags and putting those bags into a box, but I don't have to be into what you are into. I do, however, like knowing exactly the difference between each year of USDGC Rocs, or the different PD runs, or how all the old Millennium stuff feels and flies. I throw them all. And I shower with some. And I pass them on to my friends so that they can throw all the fancy discs too. Because they are Frisbees.

This thread is dumb. Throw what makes you smile. Get out there and frolf bro.

Latest posts