• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fair or Unfair

Cali Player at Doubles Event

• Yes

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

U_NICED_ME

* Ace Member *
Last night at doubles, we had a player show up late which gave us an odd number so he played Cali. Well, he payed two entry fees so he could take two throws as typically happens at our club doubles. (Pairs usually are Pro & Am)

This player does not play PDGA's, but would likely be classified at Pro level. He handily won and got the entire payout that would normally be distributed to both players. I'm not that upset because he spent it at our club disc golf store.

My concern is we've opened Pandora's box and more players will want to do this.

I think I would not let people play who show up late but other than that its not like you can kick someone out because they are odd-dog.

I think I would not let people play who show up late but other than that its not like you can kick someone out because they are odd-dog.

Yea, he called to let us know he was trying to get there and he did make it before two-minute warning. But, would you let him pay double entry fee for two shots from each lie?

Your club is "generous".

Two throws on each shot (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "take two throws") is usually more efficient than 2 players each taking 1 due to you "learn" the wind, use muscle memory correction on a missed putt, etc.

California, Colorado, and all the other variations of 'using 1 person to play doubles' each have their goods and bads...but I've know good players purposefully "show up late" in HOPES to pull off this ploy.

Usually there is some "penalty" for being single (no, not extra taxes :p ); common is only 1 extra shot per hole.

Karl

Usually give an extra shot per hole and it's an unspoken rule that a handful of guys aren't allowed to play Cali.

Something similar happened at the only Doubles event I've attended so far. But they handled it by determining the guy playing by himself randomly. Draw teams by lots, last guy is the solo guy. I'm not sure if the solo guy had to pay twice or not. I don't believe he got to play two shots from every lie, but he got a mulligan per hole, two mulligans per par 5. And yeah he won.

Yeah I agree, 1 extra shot per hole, not double the shots...seems like it would be pretty "easy" to win that way.

At our weekly glow random dubs, "odd man" ha the option of paying once & getting one extra shot per hole or paying twice & getting to throw each & every shot twice. Seems fair to me; paying twice does, however, give you an advantage over traditional dubs teams.

As for the lateness, though, if you arrive after registration is closed (which is almost always 30-45 minutes after the appointed time), tough titty. Defo no non-random "odd man" shenanigans allowed.

Based on probability, you will have an odd man out 50% of the time, thus you need a standard rule(s) for how to handle the odd man out. As long as the rules are applied consistently and evenly to everyone, it is fair. What is not fair is if you single a few people out. So longs as anyone who calls ahead and makes the two minute warning would be treated the same way, I would think it is fair. However, the rule may need to be changed so that you do not have people doing this intentionally. i.e. if you are not there for the flip (or have called an gotten someone to flip for you) then you can't play.

i havent played doubles in awhile,but when we had an odd player, he would just get 'one' extra throw per hole,so either an extra drive,approach or putt,especially if the odd man was a good player.if people show up late in hopes of playing with them selves(lol),two stroke penalty for that person and two strokes for his dumba$$ partner too, four strokes up to start with will make people want to Tee off on time

Hans Solo

In the doubles tourneys around here, the odd man out is called 'Hans' as in Hans Solo. He/she gets one extra throw per hole. That's it! I've never heard of any other way to do it.
Personally I dont want the 'Hans' as it's way harder to compete & I dont get the 'team' aspect & strategy that you get with two people. You're on your own. Oh no, I dont want the Hans. I'm hoping to get hooked up with the local pro haha

I believe his name was Han Solo. maybe the "Hans" is a reference to "Clever Hans", the horse whose owner trained him (and himself) to convincingly simulate doing arithmetic & conveying answers with hoof stomps.

If it's random draw and you don't show up at the time of the draw then you should not be allowed to play cali. If you allow it then more people will show up late to try to get the major advantage you get with cali.

Whoever runs the show sets the rules, lets everybody know the rules up front, and if that's what happens, that's what happens.

If there are no rules, or if the rules are not made known, then it's up to group consensus.

JRW III's comment @ post #13 above is spot on though - mathematically you'll have an odd number of players 50% of the time, so best to provide for that inevitability by nailing down a rule up front.

Latest posts