• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Fairway pairings

Well seasoned Icon Patriot: big turnovers, rollers, flip to turn shots
Pinn Patriot: tunnels/ woods
Seasoned TP Longbowman: straight with very little fade. If its in my fairway range and I don't know what to throw I throw this.
VIP Longbowman: wind, FH, some FH rollers.

FWIW I remember the TL and TB both not molding up great in Pro. You would probably be better off with a DX TB or Eagle.

Star Teebird-slightly OS.

11x Champ Teebird-bagged for about 10 years now. Straight Teebird.

11x Champ Eagle L-big anhyzers and rollers.

2 Pro Leopards-one fresh, one beat. Flippy stuff.

SOLF-main distance/control driver.

2 11x Champ Firebirds-one super beat, one fresh.

It might be easier if you list the slots/shots you want to cover. For example these are the fairway slots I want in my bag:
-moderately understable (hyzer flip for woods, mild turnover on flat shots)
-straight-stable (flat shots that go straight with barely any fade, anhyzers that hold the line)
-stable (flat shots that will not drift right, holds sweep hyzers, will fade a bit for consistency and range)
-stable/overstable (more OS, will never leak right, will fade at the end, possibly faster so range is same as "straight-stable" but with fade)
-very OS "Firebird" slot (power staight to fade, hyzers, flex shots, skip shots, trick shots)

That's how my fairway setup works, and I can change the discs in there as long as there are 1-2 Teebirds and a Firebird, the others can be a bit different and still do what I need (FD, River, Sidewinder, Thunderbird, PD, etc.). So maybe see what types of shots you need to cover, then the discs can be chosen.

Last edited:
This is the reason why I want to replace my leo3. I love the disc, but I just can't for the life of me throw champ plastic with even the slightest bit of water or moisture on my hand and/or disc. I was also considering picking up a g* one, but I want to experiment with the TL first and see which mold I like more. Also, I've never thrown pro plastic before, and I just picked up a pro Valk yesterday, and am liking the way the plastic feels already. Haven't thrown it yet though.
I had the same issue with the Champ Leo3, as the plastic seems harder than normal JL champ but I kept with it and it has turned into one of my favorites to throw. I just carry and microfiber towel, and a dirtbag for times when extra moisture is a factor.

You guys ever try the street Leo 3? Better grip.

I struggle with an US fairway. I usually end up throwing a cobra.

Anybody like a beat up dx teebird for that slot? Always felt too fast or something.

Anybody like a beat up dx teebird for that slot? Always felt too fast or something.

I think a beat DX Gazelle is a better option. Love the Gazelle!

I pair Teebirds with DX cheetahs for my fairways.
Fresh star Teebird, gstar Teebird, seasoned DX Teebird, seasoned DX cheetah with a PFN champ banshee for utility

I just tested a star TL and want to put it in the bag but it now feels really cluttered. The TL can cover most Teebird shots but isn't quite as reliable if there's some wind. I would hate to carry the star Teebird for shots just when the wind is up a bit.

Last edited:

*Star leo3

My current fairway pairings are TeeBirds and Firebirds.

In order from least to most stable:

- 1 beat DX TeeBird
- 1 fresh Star TeeBird (less HSS but more LSS than my beat Champ TeeBird)
- 1 beat Champ TeeBird
- 1 fresh Champ TeeBird
- 1 beat Champ Firebird
- 1 FAF Champ Firebird

-3 Firebirds of various stability, mostly forehand and overhand but an occasional backhand or two
-Pinnacle Rival, flies very straight when thrown hard with a little fade Curious if it will ever get to the point of replacing my next disc for understability
-Bio Thief, hyzerflips and turnovers. Hopefully it will eventually get more understable and can have a fresh one added, but it has been at this stability for a good while
-Lucid Witness, I seriously can't remember the last time I threw this. Probably on a standstill shot with little room for follow through. Too understable for much else since I don't really throw backhand rollers, but probably should

A normal stable Undertaker for all the normal, standard shots in the book plus a Mantis which is simply a beat up Undertaker for turning shots if you don't have a beat up Undertaker. Plus an overstable Hellfire for occasion! You could have some extra Undertakers and Mantises in different stages of wear for options but one Undertaker and one Mantis does it for me so well. A Hellfire is just delicious overstable gravy!

Opto Spark: very overstable utility, forehand
Heavy Champ Teebird, flat and high PLH: straight to fade, headwind, utility
S-Line FD, straight to understable: hyzerflip to straight, sweeping turnovers
VIP Underworld, very understable: powered down in the woods, uphill, hyzerflip to late turnover, finesse

Beat Champ TeeBird and a beat champ firebird handle all my fairway duties. I like to keep a couple of each around.

Hmmm good ones of the top of my head:

Leo/Teebird
Eagle L/Eagle X
Patriot/Rival
River/Saint Pro

175g 12X Champ TeeBird: Overstable
175g Champ Eagle: Straight to fade
172g Star Eagle: Straight
175g Echo Star Leopard: Slight turn to straight
150g Star Leopard: Turnover

Maybe when I get used to throwing it, the Champ Banshee may replace the TeeBird. Sometimes I sub in a Champ 175g TL for the Star Eagle/Echo Star Leopard. A TeeBird3 for the Champ Eagle. It's almost Feldberg-esque to overlap the complete line of Innova Fairway Drivers. Throw in the FD and you can call it overkill.

175g 12X Champ TeeBird: Overstable
175g Champ Eagle: Straight to fade
172g Star Eagle: Straight
175g Echo Star Leopard: Slight turn to straight
150g Star Leopard: Turnover

Maybe when I get used to throwing it, the Champ Banshee may replace the TeeBird. Sometimes I sub in a Champ 175g TL for the Star Eagle/Echo Star Leopard. A TeeBird3 for the Champ Eagle. It's almost Feldberg-esque to overlap the complete line of Innova Fairway Drivers. Throw in the FD and you can call it overkill.

Even though I bag 3-4 types of Roc's and a Gator, I will sometimes tend to use a Fairway Driver instead of a mid.

I carry 2 to 4 Fairways.

ALways a 150g Champ Leo & 150g Champ Banshee. Over and under stability taken care of.

Usually a 150ish GL Jade. Sometimes a 150g DX Teebird. And most recently a 175g Champ Banshee has entered the mix.

I've seen a lot of Spark love and I think If I had to pick just one fairway it would be the Spark or Tyrant. The Opto can do most OS things I need it to and the Recycled ones beat into really nice straight fairways.

One puddle one domey flat Tyrant is a little less wise of a shot range but still really nice.

I'm a big fan of the Rival / FD combo. Two S-FDs cover the straight and turnover shots, 3 Rivals (Pinnacle, Legend, light gummy Icon) handle the flex, straight to fade, and hyzer shots.

For really OS/utility shots, I use a Proline or SP Hellfire. I have been comparing the sparkle Enemies to them, but the jury's still out - the Hellfire has big shoes to fill. A truly underrated mold.

Latest posts