• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Fairway pairings

Kevdude82

Par Member
My fairway setup my bag is the one setup I cannot settle on. I currently carry a g* leo, champ leo3, dx and eco* teebirds, champ teebird3, and star eagle. I've taken the g* leo and champ teebird3 out of the bag, and bag the rest at the moment. My two favorites of them discs are my star eagle and my dx teebird. I'm thinking of picking up a pro TL from the factory store, and just going with the TL/Eagle combo. I think a good setup maybe would be my star eagle for the os slot, fresh TL for stable, and a beat in TL for the understable slot. I love all the discs I have, but enough is enough with the clutter & overlap. Thoughts? What are your fairway setups?

My setup in the speed 7 (give or take) "control driver" area is: Gold Line River, Star TL, Champion Banshee. The GL River is stable/understable, holds anny lines really well as it has seasoned in. The Star TL is very straight with a small amount of finishing fade; it's not a turnover disc. The Banshee is my utility disc for hard hyzers, skip shots, forehand shots etc.

If you count speed 9 (give or take) as "fairway driver" instead of distance driver, then my lineup is Gold Line Fury paired up with a Gold Line Saint or sometimes a Star Thunderbird. The Fury is understable and gets good distance. I also throw it when there's trouble left (RHBH throw) and I want the disc to turn over and stay to the right of said trouble. I don't often throw the overstable Thunderbird or overstable/stable Saint. In addition, I just acquired a Champion Glow Firebird that is looking very promising for forehand shots.

I only have 2 fairway molds at the moment. I carry 2 Thunderbirds and 3 TLs.

1 - star Thunderbird (very stable, slightly Firebirdish)
1 - glow Thunderbird (stable shots)
1 - champ TL (a little shorter than the Thunderbird and less skip)
1 - star TL (dead straight)
1 - gstar TL (turnovers) **I would like to swap this with a pro TL**

This is what I'm doing right now;
New Stsr Teebird(175, BEEF)-headwind driver, rarely used
Gstar NEW TB(175)- stable-overstable
Seasoned champ TB-straight, main fairway
New C-Line FD-shots where I want to use the champ TB but could lose it(over water, near cliff, etc)
8/10 champ leo3-US/turnover, looking to get a (g)star one, having trouble with grip

And then a carry 2 sexton firebirds, but I'd call them more utility discs than fairways

And I have a beat TB coming in the mail that I hope can replace the leo3

Fairway Drivers

(Fresh) 12x Champion Teebird - straight with fade
(Seasoned) 12x Champion Teebird - dead straight
(Beat) 11x Champion Teebird - straight with some late turn
(Super Beat) 11x Champion Teebird - flippy

Control Drivers
(Fresh) C-PD - straight with fade
(Beat) C-PD - has some turn but still fades out at the end "Longer Eagle"
(Seasoned) Sexton Glow Champion Firebird - overstable
(Fresh) 12x Champion Firebird - more overstable than my Sexton

Firebird and Stag make the perfect pair for me. Firebird for FH up to 400, Stag BH up to 400. In the right plastic they can hit any line I ask of them.

FB-
1 FAF Champ
1 nearly flat Champ
1 beat Star(hyzerflip/turnovers lol) it's that beat

Stag-
1 VIP
1 TP Recycled, turns a bit more

8/10 champ leo3-US/turnover, looking to get a (g)star one, having trouble with grip

This is the reason why I want to replace my leo3. I love the disc, but I just can't for the life of me throw champ plastic with even the slightest bit of water or moisture on my hand and/or disc. I was also considering picking up a g* one, but I want to experiment with the TL first and see which mold I like more. Also, I've never thrown pro plastic before, and I just picked up a pro Valk yesterday, and am liking the way the plastic feels already. Haven't thrown it yet though.

This is my favorite and most fun part of the bag for tinkering around with. Right now I'm semi-settled on:

VIP Underworld (or G* Leo3 I can't decide)
Pinnacle Patriot (that I flattened and it flies beautifully)
VIP Stag
Opto Spark for FH or mega beef BH (possibly soon to be replaced by a Tyrant)

Too many molds I know. But it works.

Eagle X & Eagle L are a great pair; that's always the core of my fairway setup. As the X gets beat up, I'll throw a champ Banshee in the bag for an OS fairway that lasts longer than the break-in period of an Eagle X.

For something more US than a seasoned eagle L, I jump up to speed 9 and throw a SW.
Same logic on OS side with a Firebird.

Mine is a Star Viper and a herd of Gazelles (Glow CFR Champ for OS/ bit of headwind, fresh DX for most shots, beat DX for US).

My thoughts on your setup is couldn't you cycle/ use different plastics of one of those discs to cover most of the shots? I mean if you want to minimize molds. Like using a Champ Eagle for most overstable, a beat DX Eagle to replace the Leo3, etc.

Last edited:
Star Teebird (Fresh)
Star Teebird (Thrashed)
Legend Patriot or Excel Patriot (Fresh)
Excel Patriot (Thrashed)

Patriot is a better Leopard. Less turn, less fade in the premium plastic for better dead straight shots. Less fade on turnovers so that they don't flex out.

I love all the discs I have, but enough is enough with the clutter & overlap. Thoughts? What are your fairway setups?

This is why I have alternate bags for casual rounds. I can still throw the discs I like without cluttering my primary set-up.

I use Teebirds for most of my fairway duties. I have a fresh champ, worn champ, and worn star to cover most of the spectrum. I also carry a CE Whippet and GL River for specialty shots.

If I wasn't so hung up on Teebirds, I would go with the Rival/Patriot combo. That's what I'm using in my alternate bag.

Currently I am using (from most US to most OS):

Excel Patriot
Pinnacle Patriot
Pinnacle Rival (beat)
Pinnacle Rival (fresh)

Pretty simple and covers every shot I need.

I went through all the various fairway driver setups and in my game, I find I can pretty much get away with a Star/Champion Eagle-X, a seasoned DX Eagle-x and a G* Leopard. I have 5 Teebirds and found when I bagged them, I very rarely threw them. There is one course I play though that I always bag a DX Teebird.

I don't consider 9 speed discs as fairways, control drivers seems more apt (for my game and arm anyway).

Star Leopard
2x PFN Star Teebird (one more beat)
fresh Star Teebird

These cover all my fairway needs. The only thing I could maybe use is something even more flippy. Maybe a Pro Leo or something.

You should be able to do it with 2 molds, regardless of manufacturer.

I threw Eagle/Leopard for a long time, then Teebird/Leopard, then Teebird/Patriot, now Rival/Patriot.

Between all the different variations in plastic and molding, you should be able to cover every slot you need. Plus beating in discs. Technically you could cover everything if you pick a stable mold (Eagle/Teebird/Rival/etc) and cycle them. Before Eagle/Leopard I used to just cycle DX Eagles and cover everything.

You should be able to do it with 2 molds, regardless of manufacturer.

I threw Eagle/Leopard for a long time, then Teebird/Leopard, then Teebird/Patriot, now Rival/Patriot.

Between all the different variations in plastic and molding, you should be able to cover every slot you need. Plus beating in discs. Technically you could cover everything if you pick a stable mold (Eagle/Teebird/Rival/etc) and cycle them. Before Eagle/Leopard I used to just cycle DX Eagles and cover everything.

I second this. And good combos, both.