• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Ace?

Playing a pro tournament at Otter Creek years ago the ace fund was $5 to enter. Someone donated 4 tickets to Church Hill Downs and that was added to the ace fund also. So the first ace was to get $130 plus the 4 tickets.

Holes 9, 10, 11 & 12 were known as "deuce alley". You could stand on any tee pad, by any basket or in the middle of any of those 4 fairways and see all four holes from tee to basket. They were short and compacted into a small area.

I was on 10s tee, about 60' from 9s basket, getting ready to make my shot when "Bam"!, a local in the group behind us aced #9. The noise interrupted my 30 seconds, so I regrouped and "Bam!" my aviar smacks into hole #10. Less than 60 seconds after the first ace of the day, and he was in the ace fund. :wall::p

I jumped off the tee, threw my hat on the ground and said, "I can't believe I missed $130 by 1 minute"!

After the round and when the TD heard the story a decision was made to split the money between the two of us but the local got the tickets, which I was cool with. So I got $65 for that ace. :)

Good story Jay Dub!

Only one for me so far. A couple of years ago on hole 15 at Cass Benton Hills during a casual round: 215' on a steep downhill (on what is admittedly and ace-run of a hole). Soft Challenger off the tee and I immediately knew it had a chance. Seemed to float in slow-mo, so I could savor the entire flight, thinking "I love the line it's on." Then slam! The thing that's great about aces, is the sound a disc makes when you connect from that far away - no other sound like it.

Last edited:
Hole 2 at knoch knolls (before they cleared the forest). This is a short 185ft hole but the pin can only be reached by a RHFH skip off the ground or you have to butter a shot through dense woods. Threw my ProLine Rhyno through the most ridiculous window through the forest and straight in. Chaos ensued.

Bummer because they cleared the forest from the tee to the pin so now you're looking right at it. It's stupid easy on what used to be a fun lil hole.

It is my only putter ace and backhand ace.

i only have favorite birdies

#5 at Windwood in Houston. Was playing with Midnightbiker. When i let it go, I said: "well, i hit my line."

0ee0c356.jpg

I remember when you did that. You threaded that needle with a Soft Focus. That shot made me go out and get a Focus, and its not my approach putter. The look on your face was priceless, because I am hollering that you got and ace, and you are looking at me like you didn't believe me. It took a minute for it to sink in.

I remember when you did that. You threaded that needle with a Soft Focus. That shot made me go out and get a Focus, and its not my approach putter. The look on your face was priceless, because I am hollering that you got and ace, and you are looking at me like you didn't believe me. It took a minute for it to sink in.

:thmbup:

Hole 5 at West Pulaski in Buffalo, MN - Summer 2011

Short 243 foot downhill dogleg right. The O.B. lake is two feet behind the basket.

Can't see the basket from this picture.

Soft magnet.

43d1221b.jpg

First and only time at the course. Throw the ace and walk to the basket. A kid is fishing on a dock about 30 feet from basket.

Me (all giddy from acing): How's it going?
Kid: Good
Me: Catching anything?
Kid: Nope
Me: You play dg?
Kid: Yup
Me: Where's the next hole?
Kid: (points up the hill)

That's it. No "nice shot!", or nothing.

Hole 5 at West Pulaski in Buffalo, MN - Summer 2011

Short 243 foot downhill dogleg right. The O.B. lake is two feet behind the basket.

Can't see the basket from this picture.

Soft magnet.

43d1221b.jpg

What!!!!! I am sure I have seen this topic before!!!!Search feature, HELLOOOOOO. My favorite ace was on a 330 uphill skip ace with a banshee. It was a throw off for a 4 way dubs tie, we were the last group in, my partner was already packing up(we all shot crappy) I saw they were throwing for a tie breaker and forgot about us so I was like, "we tied too so hold your horses". I horked a red banshee on a common hyzer, hit in front of the basket for a fine ctp but it went in. We were all in for 5 buck aces, about half paid but it was awesome because there were a lot of people watching.

My favorite ace was last year at the last League day for our clubs Sunday League (football is the cut off for that league) and took home the $333 ace pot. It was hole 8 at Watertown, WI playing from the short tees. The hole is 215 feet and flat except the 10 foot hill at the end and there is a big bush that prevents hyzer aces.

I was down three shots with two holes to go (we finish with 8 & 9) and it was extremely windy. I take out my Opto Pain that I just recently traded for and aimed for a straight run at the basket. I actually grip locked the disc and yelled, "Oh nooooo." As the disc was flying low and going right, the wind bounced the disc 30 feet higher and gained stability. The disc then hyzered right through the bush and softly hit chains. The three people around me said the chains sounded like it took a 10 foot putt. One of the people also said I jumped higher than LeBron James when the ace hit. I might have been excited about the ace. I went on to duece the next hole and actually win the League as well.

The only other ace that was cool was the cubby ace at hole 1 at Sussex, WI (390 ft downhill over a pond). My first shot was 20 feet short and I was OK with that. One of my companions threw a second shot and I was compelled to throw a second. One of my other friends asked if the second shot counted during my run-up and I responded no as I threw. The disc rocketed out and hyzered though some small branches of a tree (see a theme here) and nailed solid chains. There were two people walking their dog close by and commented on the great shot. They asked if that sort of thing happens a lot. I responded, "Unfortunately, not. Thats why I wish that was my first shot."

My favorite ace and the favorite ace I have seen both happened on the same hole. Hole #1 at riverside park in st cloud MN. Nothing really special about the hole itself but the circumstances made the shots very memorable.

On my ace I bought a disc from the local vendor in the parking lot, walked a couple hundred feet to the tee pad and threw it in the basket, virgin flight ace. First throw of the day and I had owned the disc for about five minutes.:hfive:

For the one I witnessed, there is a large oak tree on the right side of the fairway. My buddy sprays his drive high into the center of it. He turns around cussing and kicks his bag. As he has his back turned to the hole throwing a little temper tantrum I watch his disc sail clean through the tree and hyzer into the basket. I say "you aced it" he replies "#$*& you" thinking I'm messing with him:doh:. That was 10+ years ago and I still give him crap about it.

That definitely reminded me of something I always give my best friend crap about. In my friends first month of disc golfing, I took him to a short technical course at Fireman's park in Ixonia, WI where the longest hole is 250'. On hole 1, his throw goes high and straight toward the basket. Unfortunately, it hyzers out left and nails the hole 9 basket. He responds, "Wait, is that the basket." I said, "No, but that was an awesome shot to watch." Now whenever there are baskets that are even a little close, I always make sure to point out the basket he needs to shoot at.

That definitely reminded me of something I always give my best friend crap about. In my friends first month of disc golfing, I took him to a short technical course at Fireman's park in Ixonia, WI where the longest hole is 250'. On hole 1, his throw goes high and straight toward the basket. Unfortunately, it hyzers out left and nails the hole 9 basket. He responds, "Wait, is that the basket." I said, "No, but that was an awesome shot to watch." Now whenever there are baskets that are even a little close, I always make sure to point out the basket he needs to shoot at.

I once had a black ace but I was actually trying for it. I was playing a course in SD on vacation, the signage wasn't very good and after I hit my "ace" and went to retrieve it from the basket and I realized the hole# on the basket didn't match the hole I thought I was playing.

Mine was at the Northland Camp DGC in Dunbar, WI. #14 is tucked behind some trees, so I constantly have to point it out to people. It's a pretty easy deuce with a good skip hyzer, but at 273', nobody is thinking about acing it. Well, I threw a big sweeping hyzer that looked like it was going long and to the right. Then a gust of wind caught it and pushed it hard to the left. I thought, Stink! That's going to end up in the woods! Then it slammed straight into the homemade rim and wedged itself in the bottom of the basket!

back in 2002, aced holes 4 and 5 consecutively during a league round at the prestigious Valley View pitch and putt. . .not my favorite, but pretty memorable.

Best ace/most difficult:
Hole 17 long at Dretzka park in Milwaukee WI (370 ft tunnel) comes to mind. . .

At my First Chains for Wishes I had a skip ace on hole 1 at Richmond Hills in the middle position for a Liquid Logic Kayak. "The Legend" Eric Marx was in my group and said it was the craziest ace he'd ever seen, group of like 50 people were watching SO Fly. That or My first throw of the tournament at the High Country Throw Down a couple years ago Long 5 Ashe County park.

Crooked Creek Golf Course Hole #16 - 161yd Par 3 - over a pond onto a sloped green. hit it about 5 yards past and the backspin brought it right to the cup. no disc golf ace would ever top that.

It would have to be one of the 4 that I've collected the $500.00 ACE POT on. Maybe the first one: Disc Creek Course #3, 275ft. blind hyzer. When it hit the chains, the group ahead of us was standing by the creek waiting their turn on the next tee. They turned to see my disc sitting in the basket with my name visible on the disc. Or maybe the one on hole#2. Nothing really special except a friend of mine from New Mexico was in town for the round and got to see another $500 ACE. He was in town for both of those and in the group ahead of me for both.:thmbup:

Any ACE for $$$ is a good one!

Latest posts