• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Temp Course?

mrclc

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
With all the hubbub this week regarding the return of The Crucible, it seems only fair to ask about people's favorite temp courses. Mine is Toboggan, but I'm a bit partial since it's the only temp course listed on DGCR that I've played :p

So let's hear it: what's your favorite temp course and WHY? Temp layouts of permanent courses (i.e. Winthrop Gold) work here as well.

Toboggan is pretty good. Ammon Ranch by the south fork of Trinity River in Norcal for All Hallows Heave and the two old OG SF Safari courses in Golden Gate park come to mind for me.

The original Snowbowl course designed for Pro Worlds 2003, where only three of us know the details, was even more epic than tamer par 3 version actually used.

Hmmm, I've only played 5: Wah Bah, Rapid Run, South Dam, Westside, and (technically a temporary course) Morgan's Raid. I'd have to give the nod to Hoover Westside because it would stack up well against most permanent courses out there if the park let them leave it in place. (For more details, the links are to my reviews...:eek:)

I'd have to give the nod to Hoover Westside because it would stack up well against most permanent courses out there if the park let them leave it in place.

Is Westside open for casual rounds before the tournaments? I was considering heading up to Cbus a couple days before the BHMO this year, but didn't want to waste the trip if I couldn't play the temp course. That's one of the many things I loved about Toboggan -- nearly 10 days of availability for casuals.

Is Westside open for casual rounds before the tournaments? I was considering heading up to Cbus a couple days before the BHMO this year, but didn't want to waste the trip if I couldn't play the temp course. That's one of the many things I loved about Toboggan -- nearly 10 days of availability for casuals.

I think it's open the night or two before, but don't hold me to that. They do a pro clinic on Thursday night, there. As the date approaches, you could check on the Columbus website & forum. Paul Jay is the man to ask up there!

I think it's open the day before the Westside Challenge in July and 2 days before the BHMO. Usually ready to play around 10am and pulled by 7pm.

Toboggan is the only listed temp course I've played. We were running doubles at a temp course by my house over the summer (Navarre Park in Toledo, OH), but the layout was not entirely consistent from week to week. A sick course to be sure, but not nearly so much as Toboggan.

After playing the Crucible over the past few days, it took the top spot on my list from Hampton Park. Hampton has the water shots but no elevation, Crucible has the elevation and distance but no water.

Last edited:
Pendaries Village DGC in Rociada, NM.

Par 60, on a beautiful ball golf course, tons of elevation, plenty of OB with ponds, golf greens, marshes and cart paths.

Two tournaments a year on it as well, one in spring and the other in fall. Definitely a destination worth traveling for.

EDIT: I see that Scott has beat me to it.

I thought the upper course at Veteran's Park in Sylmar, CA used for this year's Summertime Open was pretty sweet. Wish it was permanent.