• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Temp Course?

I'm playing at a temporary course tomorrow installed at Sherwood Island State Park in CT. Its a yearly tournament.

628x471.jpg

its a beautiful beach park with wetlands/mangroves/large open fields/dunes/beaches. There are actually plans to make it a permanent DG course that will be open in the offseason (September 30th - May 1) so it will be actually free to use (usual park entry is $13 to park they also have season passes).

I just helped out with some of the installation today (also to scout/practice the course for tomorrow) and its an epic course around 7500ft long with some holes at 700ft par 4s to a 280ft shot from about 50ft elevation down to the basket at the beach, there are also some technical holes through wooded areas with elevation/hills.

15057467283_21d6ee8527_c.jpg
[/url]

Walking all 18holes while throwing shots at each tee/playing the course was near 4miles on my GPS watch.

If it ever does become a permanent course I bet even doing just one round will be tiring. Two rounds will be quite a hike/workout.

Its going to be in the mid 40's with strong gusts of wind and rain tomorrow too. Two round tourney on this beast of a beach island course in the frigid gusty wet is going to be EPIC.

Forest Hills in Durham, NC. But I am biased, as I helped with design and putting up and taking down the course of couple of times. I don't think it is listed here, but the tourney there used to draw a lot of the NC pros.

Shoutout to user cefire, who when he and his wife were living in the area, managed to set up temporary courses for the Pretzelbowl, a charity canned food drive tournament. Seattle has some awesome parks, but due to the limited amount of land space with all the water and everything, it's nearly impossible to get new courses in the area because the parks are so popular. All the "old guard" locals talked about how yeah, it'd be great to play disc golf in these parks, but hell would freeze over first.

Cefire came in, got the park dept's permission without much issue, and set up a couple fantastic courses in Woodland and Seward park, complete with par 4s, island greens, elevated pins, etc. Good times were had, and all who played were sad that the courses could only last a day. We were even sadder when they moved away. :(

Shoutout to user cefire, who when he and his wife were living in the area, managed to set up temporary courses for the Pretzelbowl, a charity canned food drive tournament. Seattle has some awesome parks, but due to the limited amount of land space with all the water and everything, it's nearly impossible to get new courses in the area because the parks are so popular. All the "old guard" locals talked about how yeah, it'd be great to play disc golf in these parks, but hell would freeze over first.

Cefire came in, got the park dept's permission without much issue, and set up a couple fantastic courses in Woodland and Seward park, complete with par 4s, island greens, elevated pins, etc. Good times were had, and all who played were sad that the courses could only last a day. We were even sadder when they moved away. :(

We missed them when they left here too... Sheila made a surprise visit for the Hawk Hollow Open a couple of weeks ago though.

My favorite temp course is the Canyon for sure- one of my favorites period.

the Perkerson temp layout was verrrry good

... but Crucible's better IMO

(think those are the only two temps I've played)

As far as what's listed here, probably Winthrop Gold, although one could debate if it's a temp or seasonal or even permanent course. I do have fond memories of playing a course that a guy had set up for a weekend of golf in the neighborhood of his mountain get-away house a few years ago. It wasn't anything epic, but it was a lot of fun to play. I don't even remember if it actually had a name, even if it did, I don't think I ever knew it.

I have only played one.

Every year there is a beautiful setup of 18 holes at Conrad Weiser Homestead in Wolmersdorf, PA (west of Reading). It is an annual tourney of which I played twice while I still lived in the area. The large willow trees, elevation changes, water hole, and lots of OB/mandos made for a rather intriguing challenge. I'd love to play this again sometime now that my game is starting to turn a corner.

That temp course at Sherwood Isl. in CT looks interesting. If it wasn't on that side of CT, I'd have to make it happen one of these days should it become seasonal.

Here in bloomington Indiana we have a lot if temp courses out club does as well as our permanent courses. A guy here in then has a set 9 innova traveller baskets and has his little organization called the Hoosier guerrilla disc golf alliance. My favorites are the 2/3 set ups we play in the tailgate fields across from IUs memorial stadium. We play then for tags and Saturday doubles a few times every couple months. He also rents them out to certain schools and stuff and does demos promoting land use and stuff just generally promoting disc golf. My favorite by far is when we take then out to the new course both of town that isn't completed yet. There's only 9 permanent baskets on a fully designed 18 hole course and with his help we get to play the whole 18. It's a blast and also helps people especially out of Towners get to play the whole course and see how sweet it's gonna be. We've got 3 courses in town and this will be our 4th. 2 aren't very good and the thirds a little run down being I a bad nieborhood and is mostly sub 300' holes. The new course is going to be just what our area needs to help get more players from out of town down for tournaments and stuff.

Hampton Park (Duval and reverse course) especially between 2005 - 2008. Much more foliage now on a few holes but still fantastic. I also like the temp holes at Rutgers for the Jersey Jam. If Central Park or the Bronx Botanical Garden in NYC could be set up for a tournament, I would think they would be considered two of the top temp courses in the world.

Crucible =p

I was only able to play it once, and walk the second half once more, but it is a good course. As far as hole quality and the shots needed, it may be one of the better I have ever played. However, five years of neglect have taken its toll. As far as land usage goes, it does a great job, and I would only make a few small changes. It is certainly great, and hopefully the videos reflect that.

Kensington Tobbogan! It's amazing.

I dont know if you would call it temp (seasonal would be a better term), but whenever i get finished building my course. Due to the lack of resources and manpower, it will most likely only be playable in the fall/winter. Some of the holes have wicked vines and plants that seem to grow overnight. I simply wouldnt be able to keep it trimmed.

After playing the Crucible yesterday I'd say it's either that or the temp course put up on Whispering Pines for the SH*T.

My favorite temp course is at Old Main Hill at Utah State University.

It plays in a park setting with lots of mature trees and a few hundred feet of elevation. Only downside is it is crowded usually even in the winter. The hill is very steep and a popular sledding spot all winter.

Also it is the only course I have played where you can hit a tree right after the tee and have your drive go a hundred feet past the basket at the bottom of the hill.

Would be a great place for a permanent course but the committee of old people in charge of the grounds don't seem interested.

Pendaries Village DGC in Rociada, NM.

Par 60, on a beautiful ball golf course, tons of elevation, plenty of OB with ponds, golf greens, marshes and cart paths.

Two tournaments a year on it as well, one in spring and the other in fall. Definitely a destination worth traveling for.

EDIT: I see that Scott has beat me to it.

I may have beat you to it, but more people need to know about this course. On second thought, lets keep it our little secret so I don't have trouble signing up for their awesome tournaments there. Shoutout to Elite Brothers Disc Golf.

Latest posts