• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Tomahawk Disc?

Marty McFly

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I was the first person to start throwing the tomahawk in my group a couple of years back. Everyone thought I was crazy until they tried themselves. What disc do you love throwing the tomahawk with? I think I have tried them all but which one works best for you and why?

I mainly throw a thumber as a get out of trouble shot or on a hole that requires it. I find that something overstable works best for me.
The firebird works like a charm. Also, Discraft seems to make some durable plastic and that's usually what I prefer because it holds its shape after countless impact from hitting the ground.
For more controlled shots that are a little shorter I like a dx Viper.

For shots that spiral around and then make a leaping skip towards the basket, my LS Polaris works strangely well (for an understable disc). I need to buy a new overstable disc, since I don't have one right now. I used to use a crush for this shot but it's too beat and now it's a placement overhand.

Have you not tried the Aeorbie Epic yet?
A few guys up here in the northeast get over 400' with it.
That's not to say the rest of us will ever come close but it seems like that's what the in-the-know guys throw and it certainly gained me some distance. I can complete the corckscrew with this disc while I cannot with others. You can even pick these up at most stores that carry Aerobie products.

Here is good pic of the underside from Marshall Street
Yes, it's PDGA-legal if you actually care about that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Yep tried Aeorbie Epic and throw it just as far as any Discraft disc.

I LOVE Innova but when it comes to a hawk a use Discraft ONLY.

Sparkle Z Force to get out of trouble. Not sure why,but when I need to get out of some woods with a sidearm or hawk,this is the one. Don't really use it for anything else...it still gets plenty of use though.

Yep tried Aeorbie Epic and throw it just as far as any Discraft disc.

I LOVE Innova but when it comes to a hawk a use Discraft ONLY.

As rims get larger and larger the Epic's superiority will fade. It's the huge rim that gives it the overhand-i-ness ;)

I wonder how the Double-D would perform overhand which is the only 2.6cm rim disc (legal max) on the market right now.

GOT 2 ACES LAST WEEK WITH MY INNOVA BANCHEE - TOMAHAWK...(225-325FT)

LOVE IT, NEEDS TO BE BROKEN IN WELL.

VALKARIE FOR SHORTER SHOTS >225FT

--KEEP FLYIN

Epic is the way to go. For a while I just threw tomahawks on all open holes, and this disc go's for ever. It will do a barrel roll then flip over and glide like a normal disc, which is what makes it better than any other disc for tomahawk.

I use my 172 Champion TEEREX...what is the weight of the Firebirds you guys throw?

I use my Star FL for tomahawks throws and I'm beginning to gain pinpoint accuracy out to 275 ft. It works great when broken in.

I throw a 170 DX Firebird tomahawk. I like the DX plastic because its grippy when its wet- it rains here alot- and as it gets beat in, it seems to get more predictable and controllable without getting too understable.

I throw a Predator when its distance I'm after, and a Tracker when I need more control. I throw a lot more thumbers than tomahawks, but I called thumbers, tomahawks for a few years ;)

I have been using a champion Orc that I found and it has worked pretty well. I have a star TeeRex but I don't want to use it for Tomahawks because of the extra wear and tear.

Latest posts