• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Favorite type of Roc

XxInnovaxX

Double Eagle Member
Hey guys i finally landed my first roc today and i allready love it...ive noticed a lot of the guys carry several though. i figured this is just to cycle them out so they dont wear as fast or theyre all for different shots. am i right?

and my main question what is your favorite type of roc? and why?

Glow Roc for me.
It wears well, almost as well as a star I'd think.
It's grippy-not sticky, or slippy.
It has a nice bead, I felt some real big ones and had a pretty low profile one a while back, it's middle of the road.
It Glows! Which is awesome for nightime, and if you only bought one glow disc...
Its a Roc- which just plain rocks.
Just my two cents

Obligatory: The one that goes in the basket!

What, no poll?

flat top roc. Is there another name for this disc?
Ching Roc.

The first full-color stamps were sold by Ching. They were Rocs and Aviars. The full-color process flattened the dome of the disc. You really can't make an Aviar flatter, so there was no real buzz about those. The flat-top Rocs were noticeably more overstable than a regular DX Roc, and people love overstable Rocs. Since Ching was selling them, they were called Ching Rocs. Ching has moved on to do other things and does not sell them anymore, but the name has stuck.

If I could fill my bag with any Roc from history, I'd get 8X KC Rocs, the once with the dimple in the center. Those were overstable and stayed that way for a long time. Just a sweet disc.

If we are talking about what Roc I can get today that I like best, just a regular old DX Rancho Roc for me.

My favorite is the DX Rancho, but I carry a KC Pro too because the pro plastic holds onto the overstablility a lot longer.

k another question....i know ill prolly sound stupid but ive never asked and never played with a roc until now, but what is the difference in dx, rancho, ontario, san marino, kc, etc.....are they all a different type of plastic???? or is it a different mold?

01 CE. And on your question, thats where they are made, Ontario, San Marino, Rancho. They fly different too

Attachments

• cc 002.jpg
    cc 002.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 49
Ching Roc.

The first full-color stamps were sold by Ching. They were Rocs and Aviars. The full-color process flattened the dome of the disc. You really can't make an Aviar flatter, so there was no real buzz about those. The flat-top Rocs were noticeably more overstable than a regular DX Roc, and people love overstable Rocs. Since Ching was selling them, they were called Ching Rocs. Ching has moved on to do other things and does not sell them anymore, but the name has stuck.

Lookin for a flat top Roc?

http://discgolfclub.org/proshop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_15

Interesting, I was just thinking of posting a similar thread. I have been throwing a FLX Buzz for about a year and really like it BUT everyone talks about the Roc and how awesome it is. So, I wanted to try it out for myself and see if I like it. Between the molds which one do you consider the best/most versatile. Current? Classic? Ontario? San Marino? "Something really cool that I don't even know about yet?"

k another question....i know ill prolly sound stupid but ive never asked and never played with a roc until now, but what is the difference in dx, rancho, ontario, san marino, kc, etc.....are they all a different type of plastic???? or is it a different mold?
Roc history 101, professor Three Putt shall be teaching this subject...

The original disc that was called a Roc was a 21.2 cm diameter disc that came out in '87. It was essentially an Aviar XD with a big bead. It was for sale for a short time and discontinued, replaced with a 21.7 cm diameter disc that was also called a Roc. In 1995, the original 21.2 cm disc was re-released under the name "Classic Roc." So the small diameter disc has the word "Roc" in the name, but that is not what we are talking about when we say "Roc."

When we say "Roc" we mean the 21.7 cm diameter disc that came out in '88ish. When this first Roc was tooled, Innova did not have a plant and outsourced all the injection molding. They had a P.O. Box in San Marino, CA, so the disc said "San Marino" in the tooling on the underside of the disc.

This "San Marino" Roc (which was never called that at the time) was a great disc. At the time it was one of the longest discs on the market. It would start out a bit overstable but soon beat into a long, straight disc with a slight predictable fade that didn't usually turn over into a headwind. Just a great disc. Back in the early 90's, they were ubiquitous. Everybody threw one. It was just the best disc around.

In the early 90's Innova established a plant in Ontario, CA and started doing all the injection molding in house. Around '94 the Roc mold was shot. You can't have a lot of control over the conditions a mold is used in when you outsource, and the Roc was so popular that they made a lot of runs of it. That mold became distorted and the discs did not come out right, so a new Roc mold was made. Since the plant was in Ontario, CA at that time, the new Roc said "Ontario" in the tooling.

The Ontario Roc was the disc that ruined the Roc. Stable out of the box, it could not handle the torque that the San Marino could and tended to flip. Throwing one into the wind was close to a religious experience, as it involved a lot of praying. It was really more like a longer Shark than the San Marino Roc.

At the same time that the Ontario mold came out, Innova released some really cruddy cheap plastic. Pretty much all of the disc would warp or deform in some way. When you bought discs at this time, you could tell the serious players becasue they would flip through the whole stack of discs hoping to find an old run in the stack. The combination of the bad Ontario Roc mold and the bad plastic resulted in a lot of people throwing Discraft. Other people horded San Marino Rocs, making it one of the early valuable discs.

Innova soon got back on their A game and improved their plastic. They also closed the Ontario plant and moved to Rancho Cucamonga, CA. In '97 they again changed the Roc mold, but this time they got it right. The new disc was the current "Rancho" Roc, so called becasue it says "Rancho Cucamonga" in the underside tooling.

The Rancho Roc is the most overstable of the three 21.7 cm diameter Rocs. You can torque the Hell out of one and not flip it. It is great into the wind. It has a more pronounced fade than a San Marino, but all in all it is a very dependable, predictable disc. It's still the king of the mid-range discs.

None of the various plastic lines or full-color stamps came around until AFTER the Rancho Roc was in production. As a result, all KC Pro Rocs are made from the Rancho mold. All of the Ching Rocs are made from the Rancho mold. All of the Super Rocs and SE Rocs are made from the Racho mold. All of the USDGC Rocs up until a few years ago were Rancho Rocs. They are all the same mold with different plastics

Now, here is where it gets a bit confusing. The Ontario Roc is a good disc in combination with a San Marino or Rancho Roc, it's just not stable enough to use on it's own. After awhile people started looking for Ontarios to use as a turnover mid, and ebay started burning up with $50 Ontario Rocs. San Marino Rocs had been selling for that much for a long time.

New technology makes it easier to re-create a mold now that it was in '94, so Innova just re-created the Ontario mold in '07 and re-released Ontario Rocs in the CFR program. Then last year they re-created the San Marino mold and re-released it in the CFR program. So now if you really need and Ontario or San Marino you can get one and the extra money goes to a tournament purse, not some disc collectors pocket. They have also run some of the collector USDGC Rocs in the Ontario and San Marino mold.

However, the Rocs that you are going to find in general release-the stock stamped DX Roc and KC Rocs-are all still Rancho Rocs.

Interesting, I was just thinking of posting a similar thread. I have been throwing a FLX Buzz for about a year and really like it BUT everyone talks about the Roc and how awesome it is. So, I wanted to try it out for myself and see if I like it. Between the molds which one do you consider the best/most versatile. Current? Classic? Ontario? San Marino? "Something really cool that I don't even know about yet?"
Seriously? Throw the Buzzz. To me it flies an awful lot like a San Marino Roc. I could try to convert you to the Roc Bandwagon and tell you to try a San Marino, but why?

If you really want to try a Roc, get a regular old DX Rancho Roc. To me they fly the best anyway, and they are cheaper. For me cheaper+flies better=SOLD!

thanks for the link kyflash & thanks for the info three putt.

luckily I live in Austin, and Disc Nation (I'm pretty sure it's the worlds largest DG store) does sometimes have a few flat top rocs.... I've never bought a disc on the web (I can't imagine buying a disc w/out fingering it 1st)... I have a feeling I'll be skipping the foreplay & popping my cherry soon :p

Ontarios are the ****, I know alot of people including myself that love them. Even the old ones are sweet and therefore I dont agree with the bad mold talk. If it was so bad, why did they start making them again?

I am always impressed with the knowledge demonstrated on this site. Thanks for the lesson Three Putt.

Ontarios are the ****, I know alot of people including myself that love them. Even the old ones are sweet and therefore I dont agree with the bad mold talk. If it was so bad, why did they start making them again?

The way I read it was the plastic was cheap/bad. The mold made them turnover, so they stopped making them. Then there was a high demand for a turnover roc and the mold was brought back with grade "A" plastic.

Latest posts