• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finger gets cut from throwing..anything help prevent this for you guys?

Simpfiend1023

Bogey Member
Alright I used the search function as good as I could, but if there is something I missed then by all means prerube this thread. Well obviously as stated above my middle finger always seems to get cut up when I throw mid, fairway, and long putt shots.

I use a fan grip in which my index finger is on the rim, middle finger + ring finger are in the middle of the disc, and then my pinky is placed on the inside rim as well.

The other grip I use is another fan grip in which everything is the same except for my index finger which is on the inside rim as well.

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? Anything I can do to prevent this?

I've already gotten the tip of taping my fingers (via cubby's youtube video), but I feel like it restricts my the bending of my finger for something like a power grip.

Thanks!

You'll eventually develop calluses that will prevent the damage. There may be several iterations of the cuts developing and healing before it finally gets there. In the meantime, use tape only when the cuts develop. Tape takes the edge off the discomfort and allows healing, but it won't allow you to play normally. You'll probably want to disc down at those times, so the restricted movement shouldn't be much of an issue.

You'll eventually develop calluses that will prevent the damage. There may be several iterations of the cuts developing and healing before it finally gets there. In the meantime, use tape only when the cuts develop. Tape takes the edge off the discomfort and allows healing, but it won't allow you to play normally. You'll probably want to disc down at those times, so the restricted movement shouldn't be much of an issue.

Awesome. Thanks for the help Jen!

Super glue. I keep a tube in my bag just in case the need arises, usually from cracked fingers playing in the dry cold, and once I was able to fix a small cut in my rip finger.

i have this problem with new discs. use them for a couple of few rounds and this cutting/stinging problem goes away. and as also already stated, work up those calluses. i have fought through a many little blood blisters on my rip finger.

PDGA allows minor sanding of discs per their reg so you could always lightly sand your rims down a bit using a fine grit sand paper.

I disagree with the statement that you wont be able to play normally with tape. I continue to crack the cuticle on my right index finger in the cold months from doing high powered shots on big winged drivers. I keep a roll of sports tape in my bag to prevent it getting bad quick (After I started spraying blood out my finger tip on big drives I figured it'd be best for everyone involved, hah!). I tear the tape so that it fits just below the first knuckle of my index finger and the tip is still exposed and wrap it around about 1.5 times. I honestly cannot tell any sort of difference in my play. I wouldn't recommend taping two fingers together though.

Also not sure if it applies to you, but a friend who was also a fan gripper would constantly cut his fingers with his fingernails when they werent trimmed. So, keep those babies trimmed. And yes, man up and develop some calluses. I have 4 visible ones from disc golf. 2 in my palm and one on the very tip just below the fingernail on my ring and middle finger (where I derive most of my power on long drives with high speed drivers).

Yes. Tape or Bandaids, light sanding for sharper edges, tinkering with your grip, and playing until your callusses show up!

With the cold weather and dry skin talk, do you guys use any hand lotion? I work outside and in the winter, hand lotion right after a shower is a must. I use whatever has a mineral oil base. (The glycerin stuff doesn't work well.) Some of the worst cracks I've had were on the edge of callouses. Those take forever to heal. Also if your cracks get real bad, there are lotions for chapped udders on cows. I use Bag Balm. It stinks and is greasy but it works well.

Oh while I'm thinking about it, that little ridge callous that develops on the palm side of your last finger joint. It can be sanded down to keep the disc from hanging up on it.

Cool. Thanks for the help everyone! I think I'm going to start working on my calluses this winter(because I can use a band-aid and some tape after my skin rips. Aside from that I can wear a glove over that to keep a separation between the disc and the cut and it will help me be able to keep playing during the recovery of the cut). Worse comes to worst, I'll sand down some of the dx and pro discs I've been using lately.

The fan grip really ripped my middle finger on certain discs. I'm pretty calloused now, but I went away from the main culprit (S line P2) for short approaches and used other discs. Now the P2 is a little more warn down, and I'm more calloused anyway...

In addition to my disc golf set of calluses I have a set for playing music.

One more vote for just building up callouses. I keep lotion on my hands when playing in really cold or dry weather, otherwise just let it get sore then heal. I went through that when I first started playing long days with multiple courses, but now it hasn't bothered me for a few years even on 100+ hole days.

I put a thread up a little while back about blisters, but not cuts. It really does come down to building up callouses, as I developed some gnarly blood blisters on middle of my middle finger from playing so much this summer. It only developed from using the fan grip on approaches and putter drives, so if you have the dexterity to use more of a power grip on putters, give that a whirl.

I had to try a few different kinds of tape before I found some I was comfortable throwing with, but I think everyone should have the option of taping a finger without it affecting their throw too much. You never know when you'll get a cut the day before the big tourney.

I use a 1 finger grip for my power flick and have torn it to shreds earlier this year. I literally could not throw for a few days because it was so bad. After the calluses built up, I have no problem going full bore with my flick. practice till you callus!

I used to throw with a fan grip and needed to tape my middle finger or else I'd develop some nasty blisters. This summer I transitioned to a power grip and this blistering issues went away.

I used some duct tape on some hot spots before they tore or blistered. Fricton was buffered on middle finger on drives. Tape stays on during a session but peals off later.