• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Firebirds Illegal!

discdoh

Birdie Member
If we are going to do this, let's do this. Time for a little equal opportunity...

start a new thread this one is beaten to death.

title it! Firebirds illegal!!!!

FBFarce_zpsf93e31b4.png

Making Firebirds illegal would only happen in a fair and just world. Clearly, we do not live in that place.

Firebirds illegal? Need a new meat-hook?

The Viper regains its place atop the overstable chain!

i am confused as well. what makes them illegal?

They are referring to a recent overview regarding Medium S Wizards, discs have a flexibility rule and since runs vary players have speculated that other models might not pass the flex test, newer Firebirds are thought to be stiff enough to be illegal for PDGA play like the Medium Wizards were.

I bet a lot of discs in various plastics would fail the flex tests.

Direct from the PDGA:
"Discs must...have a flexibility rating no greater than 27 lb. (12.25 kg)...Flexibility - The disc is held on its edge in a vertical position perpendicular to a scale with a precision of at least 2 oz. (56.7 g). The upper rim of the disc is then gradually pressed down within 5 seconds. The flexibility rating is determined at one of two points, depending on how the disc reacts to applied pressure. For discs that buckle, the flexibility rating corresponds to the point when the maximum weight is registered on the scale. For discs that do not buckle, the rating refers to the weight at the point when the inside rim-to-rim distance is at 50 percent of the disc's diameter. The temperature of the disc is to be no higher than 25 degrees Celsius (77 F) when the test is performed. The ratings of three samples are determined, and the median score is used as the final rating. Discs that are unable to be bent to 50% of their diameters fail the flexibility test. Manufacturers are required to send samples of the most rigid discs they want considered for PDGA approval."

This disc takes 35lbs. Illegal!

Direct from the PDGA:
"Discs must...have a flexibility rating no greater than 27 lb. (12.25 kg)...Flexibility - The disc is held on its edge in a vertical position perpendicular to a scale with a precision of at least 2 oz. (56.7 g). The upper rim of the disc is then gradually pressed down within 5 seconds. The flexibility rating is determined at one of two points, depending on how the disc reacts to applied pressure. For discs that buckle, the flexibility rating corresponds to the point when the maximum weight is registered on the scale. For discs that do not buckle, the rating refers to the weight at the point when the inside rim-to-rim distance is at 50 percent of the disc's diameter. The temperature of the disc is to be no higher than 25 degrees Celsius (77 F) when the test is performed. The ratings of three samples are determined, and the median score is used as the final rating. Discs that are unable to be bent to 50% of their diameters fail the flexibility test. Manufacturers are required to send samples of the most rigid discs they want considered for PDGA approval."

so much old kc plastic would be illegal..

All this means to me is I need to stock up on Firebirds and gummy plastic is going to have to make a comeback

I don't think I have ever seen a Z wasp, flick, or nuke that would pass this test. Maybe they won't start pushing this rule hard.

*cough* innova owns the PDGA *cough*

well, duh.. if the PDGA actually tried to remove one of Princess Innova's popular discs, I'm pretty sure Innova would try very hard to remove the PDGA. It doesn't help the sport to piss off your biggest contributor. Hence, why they can tell Gateway their putter is bad. (Dumbest **** ever.) What's Dave going to do?

I don't think I have ever seen a Z wasp, flick, or nuke that would pass this test. Maybe they won't start pushing this rule hard.

I'm doubting my Z Flick could even be bent to 50%.

I don't get it, if this has always been a rule for too funny, how did the gumbputt and blowfly ever get approved? I can understand it taking a long time to test every disc so existing molds could fall through the cracks like the xg's, but the gumbputt was never produced in anything but disgustingly flexible rubber.

Latest posts