• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Firebirds Illegal!

Nothing was ever declared illegal, and they haven't flex tested at tournies. There was no issue, just speculation.

the G9i and Med plastic from Gateway was....which is originally what set this thread off in the first place.

the G9i and Med plastic from Gateway was....which is originally what set this thread off in the first place.

Not sure about that. Found this late in the last thread:
I just got this email back from the owner of gateway:

We simply agreed to taking them out of production while the pdga works on improving the rule for putter flexibility.

Have you ever seen a players drivers checked for flexibility at an event?

David McCormack ( owner Gateway Disc Sports)
I don't think anyone actually cited an actual official failure from the PDGA at any point.

That flex test looks like it will screw up a firm disc pretty badly. Anyone love tacos?

I have an old Aviar that is really stiff and probably would fail the flex test. It's DX plastic I guess... or whatever it was called before that. It flies super straight but I hate that disc :p. The edge of the rim is so hard it is uncomfortable to throw.

I am going to try to bend my Firebird when I get home. Maybe it will take some of the ridic stability out of it :D

I heard that Dunipace picked out a bunch of Wizards to send.

I'd feel bad about adding almost nothing with a necrobump, but I missed this thread, and wanted to give anyone else that also missed it the second chance that I've received.
The version I heard was that Gateway sent the discs to be sold at the IDGC pro shop and they were so stiff that it raised the question. The PDGA pulled some from that batch to be tested.

It's all speculation, though. Every time one of these deals comes up, Innova gets blamed. There was a lot of talk about where the complaints about the Turbo Putt came from; the PDGA said it came from "members" but there was always speculation that the members who complained had ties to Innova. Why Innova would have been worried about a ridiculous disc that had no chance of catching on with disc golfers is anybody's guess. What they would have to gain from Gateway going out of business is also a mystery; Innova probably sells more discs in a month than Gateway does all year.

Latest posts