• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First attempt at dying...

Joshua1972

Bogey Member
Hey guys! Well since being introduced to this sport a few months ago, I have become addicted!!! I have been progressivly improving my collection of discs adding higher end plastics and custom dyes. I have now stepped up to attemping to dye... Here are my 1st 2 examples...
The 1st one I tried is a well worn 174 gram Blue Champion TeeBird... I used Rit Liquid Fabric Dye in Scarlet, design was made with painters masking tape, and the initials were some basic stick on letters I picked up at Hobby Lobby...
discdyepics002.jpg

The second one I tryed is a very lightly played 174 gram Gateway Evolution Pro-Line Blaze in white. Again used the Hobby Lobby Letters and masking tape and also had a couple eagle head decals that I placed and then peeled after the dye...
discdyepics001.jpg

I can see I need to use something other than masking tape for my designs, as it does allow some leakage. I am thinking maybe contact paper or something similar??? Any suggestions??

Thanks
Josh

Whew! When I only read the title I thought you were suicidal. ;) I'm glad you're OK.

Sorry guys...

:DDidn't mean to scare anyone... Should have said first attempt at Disc Dyeing... LOL

Josh

Wow Marv, talk about thinking alike! Notice when our replies were posted.

Nice job on your dying bro! Here I read that title and thought you just could not take another beating from me. I was going to tell you it's just a game bro. ;)

I used contact paper like what you would use to line shelves.

After
2876376065_46472cb707_m.jpg

Before
2877707202_aba61e55ca_m.jpg

Whew! When I only read the title I thought you were suicidal. ;) I'm glad you're OK.

Ha! That's how I read it initially too!

I came on here to suggest guns, rope, poison, a car in the garage, or watching an episode of Rock of Love on VH1.

I assumed you were talking about disc dying but I did think of the other context also. If your 1st attempt is a good one then you probably don't need a second.

Thanks!!!

I used contact paper like what you would use to line shelves.

After

Before
2877707202_aba61e55ca_m.jpg

Contact Paper is what I was thinking as well!
Can't wait to pick up some more disc's to do some more!!!
Josh

How to dye a Disc or at least how I did it.

What to buy
1. Acetone
2. Large Pot
3. Disposable aluminum casserole dish (not needed if you do not mind ruining the Large pot)
4. Rit Dye
5. Role of Contact paper
6. Exacto Knife
7. scrap card board
8. tape
9. Desired image on printer paper

What to do
With a rag or napkin rub the stock logo with Acetone and it will come right off.
Rinse quickly.
Take a nine by nine square of contact paper and tape it to the card board.
Place image on on top of the contact paper and tape it down.
Take exacto knife and cut the outline of the image through the image and through the contact paper.
Remove the cutout contact paper from the cardboard and remove the backing and stick it to the disc.

Take aluminum casserole dish and make sure the disc will fit into it without having to force it in. Bend dish if necessary.
Take large pot and put the aluminum tray into the pot.
Add water inside the tray and between the pot and the tray about 2 inches.
Add about 2/3s of the Rit bottle for a dark color or experiment to desired look.
Boil dye in the water bath then let sit for about 20 mins.

Drop disc face down into dye and let sit for 20 mins.
Rinse well, dry, remove contact paper, then dry again.

*examples are of Star and Pro plastic

Last edited:
Excellent description blang. Thanks for that bro!

wow the first two discs at the top are pretty awesome and the punisher discs are really cool too, i may have to give this a shot
BANG CHAINS

Latest posts