• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Disc(s) ever bought

Lightning P-38
It was a step up from the 165 World Class frisbee at least.
There's a slim chance it's in a box in the attic, but I doubt it.

My first disc was a Champ Sidewinder, and it disappeared yesterday into a massive jungle of poison oak. At least it was lost on the course, and whoever finds it will have a hell of an itch afterwards!

Good ol' Randy Bower. I'm friends with Randy and Juliana from back in the Iowa days. When they split up, Randy was left with boxes and boxes of Juliana's practice discs. He gave them to me, and I have trickled them out to disc golf newbies for the last 10+ years. I still have a few 150-class X-clones with "BOWER" written on the back.

Here are my two.

First discs I ever bought were a Pro-D Cyclone, a Z Wildcat and a soft Magnet. All are long gone, unfortunately. I bought a Z Predator about 3 months later that was my first overstable disc. It's still in the bag, doing work.

About 18 months ago a friend introduced me to the game and I went out to my local Academy and purchased entirely at random. A Polarian LS driver, a Cobra midrange and a DX Aviar putter all traffic cone orange.

Not knowing a single thing about the game and not really asking anyone what I should buy. Looking back I got pretty lucky as none of those were a terrible choices. Now I use those discs to introduce other new people to the game.

Back in '95, I found a little course near my home, and after watching some people throw frisbees, went to the dollar store near the course and bought a frisbee. Terrible choice, but what did I know. Since I was into building plastic models, I was at the local hobby store about 2 weeks later and saw a rack of discs. I asked the worker about them, and he said they were for disc golf. He recommended a Panther, becuase it was a good all-around disc. I don't remember how much I paid for it, and can't recall the shops name (now out-of-business). I played for that summer and put the disc up not to touch it again until 2005. Since then, it has and will be a mainstay in my bag. I use it for short midrange shots where I need a short anny or a soft layup.

I have two of the three discs that I first bought; a blue DX Aviar and a Yellow DX Shark. Apparently I also had some DX driver but I lost it so quickly I can't even remember what type it was.

But yeah I still have both the Aviar and Shark and they are two of my favorite discs. My Shark is so banged up with a bunch of dents but whatever line I put it on, it holds tight. And my Aviar has become my go-to-disc for tight wooded shots. It also flicks like an arrow.

1st disc- Pro-D Comet I bought 15 years ago. No longer sure of the weight but I think maybe around 171. Still in my bag and has never left my bag. I throw it all the time and often putt with it. Crazy, I know....

first disc i ever bought was a star skeeter in white. i really like it for a while, never throw it anymore tho. still have it

first disc i ever got was a pearly monster from my mom cause she tried playing disc and decided it wasnt for her but i might like it

I saw disc golf on a internet video and soon found out that where I live is like disc golf Mecca.

Innova starter pack - DX Valk, Shark and Aviar. Valk is still my favorite driver to throw on the fun scale even (I have upgraded). The Aviar went to a friend this year who wanted to start playing, didn't have discs and was low on funds. I threw those discs over and over at this 5 hole pitch and putt in town until I figured it out. I was hooked the first time I went out though.

Innova starter set Aviar, shark, leopard, all DX. I'm a noob, so i went and bought a star Beast right after that, along subsequently, (all Star) Mako and TL (still love those), and 5 more discs that i can't handle. Played the Leopard today as part of the inevitable discing down and loved it.

First disc I ever bought was a 169 Star Firebird, blue with a red stamp. Still have it. I don't use it anymore so it hangs on my wall. Bought it at Final 9 Disc Golf Shop located on course at Shady Oaks DGC in Orangevale CA from the used bin for 9.00.

First disc I ever bought was a 169 Star Firebird, blue with a red stamp. Still have it. I don't use it anymore so it hangs on my wall. Bought it at Final 9 Disc Golf Shop located on course at Shady Oaks DGC in Orangevale CA from the used bin for 9.00.

Poor guy. You must have gotten to the course and thrown it and gone "WTF I hate this sport"

Poor guy. You must have gotten to the course and thrown it and gone "WTF I hate this sport"

I bought it after my buddy left the course with his discs so I bought the newest disc in the bin with no knowledge of what was what. I didn't get another disc for two months and the whole time, yeah I was saying "Wtf" lol.

I knew what DG was but had no clue about discs. Went to academy sports and picked up 2 dx birdies and 2 cheetas. Not a clue what weight. I kept the cheeta until last week, was flippy as all hell. Threw it expecting it to flip like it always did, but didn't judge the tail wind right and it just stayed flat and strait and is DEEP in the lake. its gonna take forever to beat another one in that well. As for the birdies one was a water bowl, which is now hung on the wall. Will miss my dog. The other is a rolling tray. Lol

At the time I worked at a sporting goods store and I went through the Innova catalog for about an hour trying to figure out what the best 2 discs would be. I got an Aviar and a Groove. The aviar was a good idea!

Latest posts