• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First form check!

Door frame drill question. My original take on the drill was that I was searching for a height and leverage point where I would exert max force on the frame. This gets me pretty low, more like a tug-o-war type situation. I absolutely can't replicate this in a swing as there is no door frame. I've kinda struggled with it. Like, I can find that max force point, but it also requires a bunch of lean and getting my cog way off balance. What I'm seeing here is seems like you are working within the context of a normal swing height and width of stance, and looking for power in that context.

Replying in your thread in a sec...

Last one: even low effort X-step started to change today (clearly need more work on standstills first). I'm not quite nailing the frame grab and leverage in transition but can tell it's the beginning of a completely different move.

Putting all vids (cable, doorframe, standstill, X-step) here for ease:

Ok shutting up now for real lol

Last edited:
Holy **** I can't get enough. I can't remember the last time it felt like my swing changed so drastically so quickly. The changing weight shift seemed to keep getting my finish looking a bit more like seabas22 BH so I pushed it.

Repped doorframe during lunch with more fussing & worked on taking the forward pump into the backswing. It seemed wise to practice starting with the forward pump to build momentum rather than starting with the grab behind me, though I suspect both work if the sync is good.

It feels like my hand/disc weighs 50+ lbs going into the hit with no effort on some of these. There was serious pressure flowing through my index finger that started to smooth out.

Maybe you see garbage, maybe not. Tried to hold onto the first practice swing here & was surpised by the weight:

Last edited:
Pelvis and spine are doing the opposite things. Keep walking your rear foot targetward, so your upper body gets pulled back.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 5.20.49 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 5.20.49 PM copy.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 43
Pelvis and spine are doing the opposite things. Keep walking your rear foot targetward, so your upper body gets pulled back.

attachment.php

:) should feel like my weight is settling even better toward my butt getting me further stretched and supported by doorframe, yeah? Meaty butt drop leads swing?

:) should feel like my weight is settling even better toward my butt getting me further stretched and supported by doorframe, yeah? Meaty butt drop leads swing?

Note how my left hip is leveraged forward of my head. Your head is forward of the left hip so is it pushing your head over, instead of moving your center leading the bow.

Note how my left hip is leveraged forward of my head. Your head is forward of the left hip so is it pushing your head over, instead of moving your center leading the bow.

nice, thank you as always - and an "aha" to go with it. I also just noticed my rear foot didn't want to let the pressure move in toward the instep. I think I might see how that all fits together now. Trying a bit and will post to check again.

Doorframed for a while making many changes. Still stuff to work out but here's where I landed + some throws.

1. Slide your hand down closer to navel height. Should be able to sit and lead more with hips and walk rear foot closer to target.

2. Don't afraid to step too close to target and pull yourself back off balance, play around with foot placement while holding frame.

3. Pick up your front foot off ground/stride some.

Doorframed for a while making many changes. Still stuff to work out but here's where I landed + some throws.

Your front knee looks a bit odd there and you look pretty uncomfortable. It should be a comfortable position that gets pulled taut as you start to lead with your butt/drop weight.

You should get your spine pulled into that position SW posted, I think you're trying to put your body is that position then lead with your butt.

Filmed myself doing door frame drill correct and incorrect, hopefully this helps. The rear foot close to the frame from the behind view is what you were doing earlier and what SW pointed out. Watch how I'm moving and bouncing feeling leverage or not feeling leverage and finding where I feel the most. You can do this with your hand height as well. IMovie cropped off my head and feet unfortunately, but my heel only really touches the ground in the bad examples or when I lead with my hip but then the door frame pulls me back off of my lead heel immediately.

You look stuck and not pulled taut. From watching your cable pull video I don't think you're truly leading with the hips.

Should feel it pulling through your lat on your throwing side quite a bit when bouncing like that.

1. Slide your hand down closer to navel height. Should be able to sit and lead more with hips and walk rear foot closer to target.

2. Don't afraid to step too close to target and pull yourself back off balance, play around with foot placement while holding frame.

3. Pick up your front foot off ground/stride some.

It should be a comfortable position that gets pulled taut as you start to lead with your butt/drop weight...

<3 you guys, thanks for all this again, super helpful.

Next DF attempt, much more dynamic. I focused on letting the frame stretch me back as I dropped my weight toward the target and kept moving around. I changed the foot angles, stride lengths, distance from frame etc. I started to find a nice big stretch through my lat (felt good!). I could start to tell when the plant stride was too close or far when I did it this way though I can tell that needs some work too. Here's one where I was playing with everything and kept adjusting. Still need to keep working.

Throws - I got a little in my head sometimes trying to "grab the frame" but kept loosening up. Tried different weight shifts. Maybe progress:

I also tried this on the cable pull and got more easy power but I ran out of range of motion on the machine. Doorframe's better as a drill anyway :)

Your front knee looks a bit odd there and you look pretty uncomfortable.

Good eye & thanks - it was and the knee woke up achy. Today it felt less like I'm taxing the knee weird but want to keep cleaning this up :)

<3 you guys, thanks for all this again, super helpful.

Next DF attempt, much more dynamic. I focused on letting the frame stretch me back as I dropped my weight toward the target and kept moving around. I changed the foot angles, stride lengths, distance from frame etc. I started to find a nice big stretch through my lat (felt good!). I could start to tell when the plant stride was too close or far when I did it this way though I can tell that needs some work too. Here's one where I was playing with everything and kept adjusting. Still need to keep working.

Throws - I got a little in my head sometimes trying to "grab the frame" but kept loosening up. Tried different weight shifts. Maybe progress:

I also tried this on the cable pull and got more easy power but I ran out of range of motion on the machine. Doorframe's better as a drill anyway :)

Good eye & thanks - it was and the knee woke up achy. Today it felt less like I'm taxing the knee weird but want to keep cleaning this up :)

The movement at 10 seconds the very first one is the closest you were. The rest the stride gets way too long and or your sit too much into it. And get stuck on the rear leg.

If you walked your rear foot more forward you wouldn't be able to sit as much and stride as much.

You're definitely getting stretched out but you're stuck on the rear leg striding that much. It will be impossible to shift your weight with such a long stride.

Look how subtle my movement is, quick and short. Your stride is way too long/slow impossible shift.

This is probably because you haven't found the feeling of leading with your butt yet.

Watch the way I go back and forth and I'm not going back and striding into it, don't stride into it until you feel how to lead with the butt and leverage correctly.

Making progress but I think you're missing the feeling of leading with your butt/trying to make it happen way too much.

The movement at 10 seconds the very first one is the closest you were. The rest the stride gets way too long and or your sit too much into it. And get stuck on the rear leg.

If you walked your rear foot more forward you wouldn't be able to sit as much and stride as much.

You're definitely getting stretched out but you're stuck on the rear leg striding that much. It will be impossible to shift your weight with such a long stride.

Look how subtle my movement is, quick and short. Your stride is way too long/slow impossible shift.

This is probably because you haven't found the feeling of leading with your butt yet.

Watch the way I go back and forth and I'm not going back and striding into it, don't stride into it until you feel how to lead with the butt and leverage correctly.

Making progress but I think you're missing the feeling of leading with your butt/trying to make it happen way too much.

Roger! Honestly I was still having a hard time physically distinguishing when I'm too muscled vs. just relaxing into it with my weight. Big dumb body :-(

So I'm glad you looked :) I could tell I could relax my weight forward with less strain in that 10s range or so. But then I doubted myself and the butt/weight lead came and went and then I lost it as I moved out further.

I'm going to go search roughly in that range you point out around 10s and see if I can get the weight & butt lead to feel more consistent & relaxed & check again :)

Last edited:
Roger! Honestly I was still having a hard time physically distinguishing when I'm too muscled vs. just relaxing into it with my weight. Big dumb body :-(

So I'm glad you looked :) I could tell I could relax my weight forward with less strain in that 10s range or so. But then I doubted myself and the butt/weight lead came and went and then I lost it as I moved out further.

I'm going to go search roughly in that range you point out around 10s and see if I can get the weight & butt lead to feel more consistent & relaxed & check again :)

Just to clarify too, I mean literally the first move from 10 seconds to 11 seconds. If you do that move and walk your rear foot even move target wards and shorten your stride I think you might start feeling it. You look relaxed there and have a slight bounce that pulls you back.

The very next one you sit way too deep into because your rear foot is too close and you're not getting pulled taut.

Just to clarify too, I mean literally the first move from 10 seconds to 11 seconds. If you do that move and walk your rear foot even move target wards and shorten your stride I think you might start feeling it. You look relaxed there and have a slight bounce that pulls you back.

The very next one you sit way too deep into because your rear foot is too close and you're not getting pulled taut.

Ok good, that's what I hoped and this really helps - it's hard to communicate it but I have a little trouble feeling the threshold between when I'm pulling/straining vs. bouncing & relaxing getting stretched against the frame. But now I think I've encountered what the bouncy thing feels like at 10s, gonna try again.

This little guy?!?!!?

To me that looks quite promising. Now just drop your butt behind you towards right side of tee if straight out from door frame is target. You shouldn't be able to go very far and should feel the door frame pull you back up right after your heel touches the ground.

Don't get too crazy as this will put a decent strain on your arm and lat because that is where the force is going since the door frame is winning!

Looks a lot better than everything else so far in my opinion.

Do you feel leverage when you drop your butt? If not keep that same movement but move your feet and hand around till you're really getting pulled taut but I think you're quite close there. Also closing your feet off or opening can help, possibly rotate both legs in that position you're in and see if you feel more or less leverage.

Do you feel leverage when you drop your butt? If not keep that same movement but move your feet and hand around till you're really getting pulled taut but I think you're quite close there. Also closing your feet off or opening can help, possibly rotate both legs in that position you're in and see if you feel more or less leverage.

Yeah and it's definitely different that the other positions. This time it's more like I relax my weight away from the frame and the frame stretches me a bit in the bouncy spot - I'm still in leverage on the left leg, but I'm not straining against it muscularly. I can wiggle the rear foot position around a little bit and find little differences. I feel pulled taut w/ loading in the lat, but not like I'm trying to muscle the frame. If I go too much further, I feel like the leg and/or lat start to go past a relaxed state or something else in my body starts to feel kinda torqued or something. I will play around in this range and with both feet a bit more. I think where the plant leg wants to go can change a little too so I'll tinker a bit per your & SW22's suggestions above.

FWIW this was the throw right afterwards. I can tell the shift is still not quite ideal and I think I still overcooked the backswing past the doorframe finding the butt lead. But it's definitely more ergonomic and more fluid and quick between the feet. For once it's starting to feel more like my weight slinging the disc forward more clearly against the backswing.

last df again for ease of reference.

Happy weekend chaining all, gonna feel it out on the course.

Oh note before I forget - part of what perpetual drill was trying to teach me is how the load flows all the way to the outstep and heel in rear leg and then forward into the swing. I can tell there's something to clean up there, load might be too "insteppy" too early on the rear foot and contributing to overcooked backswing. But I'm optimistic again.

Thanks gang :)

Last edited:
Last video looked like better stance width from frame, than longer vid before. Still might be 10 degrees too backward flared rear foot.

Looks like your rear knee is extending/ed or not bending/flexing into the sit/squat/hip hinge.

Move to the other side of your column or door frame 90 degrees so we get front or rear tee view.