• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying Basket of Death and Destruction Build Thread

davetherocketguy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So now for something completely different.

I play disc golf (badly). I also fly high powered rockets - some of which are so big I need special FAA permission to fly them. Some time ago I was trying to figure out how to combine the hobbies thus was born the Flying Basket of Death and Destruction. Yes, a basket that will fly straight up to around 200-300' up with a rocket motor and then float down on a parachute - if everything goes as planned. I may even allow some dg'ers to throw some plastic at it while its in flight - either up or down - just to see if they can ace it from the flight line.

Key thing to take away from this is my standards for this build is it has to be as light as humanly possible but still be within or as close to the PDGA standards for basket dimensions as possible. Build materials will be wood dowels, balsa, plastic chains and paper fiber tubes. No, I can't just find an old metal one and jam a motor in it. All metal construction is forbidden and seriously dangerous. Not only that but metal is super heavy which would make it super duper expensive to fly and the bigger the motor the further away from the crowd I have to launch it - like 500' or more. Ain't nobody hitting a moving target from that far. Plus, I'd have to use a redonkulously huge parachute - like 10-15' diameter...no thanks.

So to start here are some photos.

1. I've already started construction some time ago but from the photo you'll get the idea of what I've done so far...
2. The second photo is a little issue I have with this design. Haven't settled on whether or not to fix it much less how. If the build comes in at a reasonable weight (>4lbs) I may try to fix that. We'll see.
3. Here it is with the remaining balsa "fins" glued in place. Time to move on to the next thing.

Figured someone here might find this entertaining.

Attachments

• IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 286
Maybe run hi-test fishing line from fin to center?

This is a really cool idea. I love watching rockets, but don't have time nor smarts to make them work. If you added a couple dowels across the cage similar to a regular basket, could that help? I'd guess adding more spars and making a nonagon or decagon would make it too heavy?

Anyway, I sincerely hope you post a vid when you do launch this one

Last edited:
This is a really cool idea. I love watching rockets, but don't have time nor smarts to make them work. If you added a couple dowels across the cage similar to a regular basket, could that help? I'd guess adding more spars and making a nonagon or decagon would make it too heavy?

Anyway, I sincerely hope you post a vid when you do launch this one

You're plenty smart enough. Seriously. If you can grasp the concepts in a sport like disc golf and keep them straight, learn the rules, you can learn the basic concepts of hobby rocketry no problem. The hobby has managed to simplify things a great deal so you can just fly kits with the recommended motors or do crazy a***** stuff like I do. Video? Oh heck yeah...there will be video. Maybe if I can get my hands on the right camera an on-board video will happen like this one I did a number of years ago:

Maybe run hi-test fishing line from fin to center?

That is precisely the kind of solution I've been looking at. I have a ton of Cat5 wire I got for nothing. Strip it down to the little wires and go from each corner of each wedge to make a sort of net I guess. It should work. But again I want to see where the weight comes in at as I get further along with the build.

On the other hand...someone hits that thing from the flight line while its in the air and the disc falls out the bottom I think I'm gonna count it good haha.

-Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a blast taping firecrackers to a disc . I am greatly intrigued by this idea. You have bonus points for the name alone.

When you video it you have to have someone throw a disc in it and hit ignition at the same time. Please make this happen :)

I had a blast taping firecrackers to a disc . I am greatly intrigued by this idea. You have bonus points for the name alone.

When you video it you have to have someone throw a disc in it and hit ignition at the same time. Please make this happen :)

The only issue I see with this is I have to convince my club president to let me have someone throw a disc at it. Rockets are delicate critters really. A lot of them are built just strong enough to withstand the vertical g-loads with minimal weight to maximize performance. Not really designed to take a horizontal hit from a disc so the all the launch pads will have to be clear of rockets so this little plan of mine might be no bueno. Regardless...I'll do my best to make it happen. :hfive:

Reminds me of the days, many years ago in the 60's, when a friend and I used to get into the Estes rockets! I have nothing I can actually suggest to you but to say good luck with your finished product. Should be cool when it's completed! Photos look pretty good. I wonder, a small tail or fin or something for stability while the basket rocket is actually launching off to keep it from going who-knows-where? Just curious on the last part...

Reminds me of the days, many years ago in the 60's, when a friend and I used to get into the Estes rockets! I have nothing I can actually suggest to you but to say good luck with your finished product. Should be cool when it's completed! Photos look pretty good. I wonder, a small tail or fin or something for stability while the basket rocket is actually launching off to keep it from going who-knows-where? Just curious on the last part...

Thanks! And good question

The question you are asking is; will it be stable?

Short answer: Yes, I think it'll fly nice and straight.

Long answer: Stability in rocketry and disc golf have 2 very different meanings. Understable in DG is ok and sometimes preferable. There is no such thing as understable in rocketry. Rockets are either stable or not. If not, things go haywire real fast and it just isn't safe. Range safety officers get kinda mad sometimes with unstable rockets. You don't want them mad 'cause then you don't fly your toys.

In this case I fully expect it to fly like a spool because it is aerodynamically similar to a spool. Spools don't seem like they'd make for good rockets but they are surprisingly stable in spite of their aerodynamic inadequacies:

Not only that but the large area of vertical balsa you see on the pictures in my first post are going to act as fins in a way so those will help with stability as well. If anything, this is going to be a very over-stable rocket...I think. And since I am not 100% sure about stability I'll be doing some test flights first from the far away launch pads lol. If I can get it done the first test will be on 12/8/18.

I give it a 5 star rating even BEFORE the launch.

Me and some friends used to partake in model rockets and we got creative a few times. We attached a Csize engine to a styrofoam hand glider and pointed it about 5 degrees from ground level. The outcome was not at all what we had envisioned.

Kudos for coming up with a fun and original idea. I dunno about Jomez sending someone out for this, but at least shoot/post video of the launch when it happens! :thmbup:

Don't necessarily mean you're a rocket scientist, though... I'm just sayin'. :|

Last edited:
To fix the disc falling out issue, could you just mandate a "super" class only disc. Like a zephyr(I think)? Or would those fall thru too?

Otherwise, easily one of the coolest things I've seen all year!!!! I used to dabble in model rocketry back in the day, and am seriously considering starting back up once my son is old enough to help me out with the builds.

Major props and best of luck!!!

If this does happen, reach out to Jomez or CCDG and try to get this thing on some high quality film!

Whoa there cowboy...let me get some test flights in first.

Kudos for coming up with a fun and original idea. I dunno about Jomez sending someone out for this, but at least shoot/post video of the launch when it happens! :thmbup:

Don't necessarily mean you're a rocket scientist, though... I'm just sayin'. :|

Oh...I am definitely NOT a rocket scientist.

I give it a 5 star rating even BEFORE the launch.

Me and some friends used to partake in model rockets and we got creative a few times. We attached a Csize engine to a styrofoam hand glider and pointed it about 5 degrees from ground level. The outcome was not at all what we had envisioned.

Thanks! And yeah rocket gliders are real touchy. It's not easy to get them right. There are model rocket manufacturers who make rocket glider kits BTW...

To fix the disc falling out issue, could you just mandate a "super" class only disc. Like a zephyr(I think)? Or would those fall thru too?

Otherwise, easily one of the coolest things I've seen all year!!!! I used to dabble in model rocketry back in the day, and am seriously considering starting back up once my son is old enough to help me out with the builds.

Major props and best of luck!!!

Thanks for the compliments! My current thinking at the moment is trying to find some fishing net and hot-gluing it to the bottom spokes.

Launch nine at once and list it here as a temporary course.

Sure. You pay for the motors and I am game. :cool:

So its a snow day here in Michigan and I am taking advantage of that playing hookie from work lol. Got some more work done...First photo...with what I have so far we're at 2lbs 5oz. So my original estimation of 4 lbs is looking good. Second photo...Center tube is 38mm diameter and is sitting pretty square so time to glue it in place.

Attachments

• IMG_0822.jpg
    IMG_0822.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 63
More progress...

First photo...I've been stressing about this a little. This is a narrow tube and I really do NOT want this project coming down too fast so a 36" dia parachute is in order. It's tough to put such a large chute in a small compartment loose enough that it'll come out.
Second photo...So this is what it will look like on the top with the chute packed in - I'll probably stuff it in a little further so the shroud lines are hidden. Plenty of room so my original thought of needing a chute compartment is unneeded.
Third photo...upper spokes cut and glued into place. These are going to hold the plastic chains.

Now it's time to snow blow the drive as the glue sets.

Attachments

• IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
More snow day progress. This thing is coming together quick. As a result I picked up 20' of some premium quality catch anything that is thrown at it plastic chain today. Haha...yeah...anyways it's chain and its the lightest I can find.

First photo...pre-glue "dry fit" of the upper spokes that will carry the chains. It was at this moment I realized this is perhaps the second most absurd thing I have ever built.

Second photo...Added four 1/2" dowels to the outside of the main tube/airframe. These will help reinforce the main tube from bending or creasing should there be any loads in weird directions. More importantly will protect the main 38mm tube from most disc hits.

The MOST absurd thing I have ever had a hand in was a flying porta potty. Yes, a full sized porta john under rocket power...

In that second video you can hear me on the PA. That was 2 years in the making and we were finally launching it and I thought I was going to pass out doing that count down. See how awesome this hobby can be? Makes you want to fly some rockets don't it? ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0831.jpg
    IMG_0831.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 36
I'm guessing the USDGC has already contacted you for a prototype to be used on the clown's mouth next year?...

:D

Latest posts