• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Footwear

Well, I just retired another pair of disc shoes.
wb588x.jpg

They were Globe Fusions, they were super comfy, but barely lasted a year, snagged em back in September of 2014. They DID endure a super swampy Highbridge trip, and many 100+ hole marathon days, but still, pathetic.

So, I decided to go back to a shoe that I know is bombproof.
119us9f.jpg

Adidas Superstar II. I had a pair of these back in the day that lasted five seasons until my dog, who was a puppy at the time, ate the left one. I played a few rounds in these bad boys earlier, and what a world of difference. My old shoes were sloppy in comparison. Can't wait to get them broken in. So what does the rest of DGCR swear by for disc footwear?

Last edited:
MN must be flat. I'd never make it up the hills around here when it's even barely damp. Shame too, because I love Shell Toes. I own close to 20 pairs.

I've tried a lot of shoes from cheap to insanely expensive. Saloman Speedcross3 for me. Still looking for rain shoes.

Haha it is indeed flat here, not a lot of elevation. It does exist on some of our courses, though. I survived Kaposia in my old Globes recently haha. I am accustomed to bald soles, so the fresh Superstars actually feel quite grippy to me.

I use Saloman Fellraisers around here when it's raining and muddy, they're not waterproof to the top, but they have a pretty good molded area that keeps water off unless I step in a deep puddle. I also use Merrell All Out Blaze shoes when its raining or muddy. Most of the mud/rain shoes I use are shoes I use on our long backpacking trips, so they're lighter in weight and comfortable.

Another vote for Solomons. I'm too old and fussy to wear anything less comfortable.

I also have narrow feet, so Keens and Merrells just do not fit.

I've been using merrel moabs for 3 years now, barely into my second pair.

I've been meaning to experiment with something little lighter. The merrells hold up great but they are pretty heavy, so they can get clunky and wear my legs out

Just picked up a pair of Reebok Crossfit ATs. SUPER light and breathable, great tread that still feels solid on concrete (unlike some other "gripped" shoes I've had) and they were on sale for $25! :thmbup:

V70347_01.jpg

V70347_05.jpg

Just picked these from Menard's for $30:
attachment.php

The tag that lists the features on the shoe specifically says "Waterproof Liner."
They pretty much fit and feel as good as my Merrell Moabs...at less than ⅓rd the price. I probably won't wear them until spring, but hard to go wrong at that price.

Also picked these up for less than $20 for winter and muddy spring thaw conditions:
attachment.php

Both pairs of boots seem pretty well constructed. Interested to see how well they work out.

FWIW, my Moabs are a 9.5 wide, and the size 10 hiker fits me nicely, so I'd say it runs pretty close to true to size, perhaps a tad on the smallish size.

The insulated boots definitely run larger... got those in a 9, and they're still a bit roomy.

Attachments

• Hikers.jpg
    Hikers.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 489
  • winter boot.jpg
    winter boot.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 634
Last edited:
I like playing in my Solomon fell raisers but I feel like the tees are really rough on the aggressive treads(that are perfect for every other throw). Mostly I wear Patagonia Fitz sneaks. They are my favorite shoe ever. Look cool, super durable, comfy. Flat soled, but they grip tees unless it's wet. Unfortunately they were discontinued (along with the entire Patagonia footwear line), but I have a brand new pair in my closet. My two worn pairs (1 and 2 years old respectively) are pretty much in the sweet spot, oldest has some wear on the inside of the heel from not untying my shoes when I took them off. I probably won't break out the fresh pair for at least two more years. I'll prolly go for Solomons with less aggressive tread after that.

Those reeboks look like they are trying really hard to be Solomons.(with the color scheme) new balance has been doing that too in the last couple years

So this past season I used these http://obozfootwear.com/mens/low-hiking/sawtooth-low-bdry

They were semi waterproof and somewhat comfortable. The support was good. Getting a shoe like that is an attempt to get something rugged that will last longer. Well 8 months later the shoe itself looks and feels fine when I put it on it feels ok, but the soles are done. I messed my back up by not listening to my body telling me the shoes had no more support left. So for this coming next season I am eyeballing these http://www.amazon.com/SCARPA-Mens-Z..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1P749F24A8YHCRMFWC0Q

When I bought the Oboz I tried on the scarpa Crux's which is more of a true approach/hybrid climbing shoe and I could not believe how comfortable it was. I was going to buy them but they told me the rubber on those was not as durable as normal hiking soles(vibram). So I did not get them. This year I am going scarpa, if you get a chance try some on, they are so comfortable.

Update: The Hikers don't leak like a siv, but don't keep my toes as dry as my Keens do.
But they're cheap, comfy, seem reasonably sturdy, and keep me drier than unlined/non treated hikers.

The Pac boots seem pretty bullet proof, but feel a bit odd at the bottom of my shin... dull ache after few hours of walking. Maybe I just need to get used to a boot that goes up that high and/or break them in.

Just picked these from Menard's for $30:
attachment.php

The tag that lists the features on the shoe specifically says "Waterproof Liner."
They pretty much fit and feel as good as my Merrell Moabs...at less than ⅓rd the price. I probably won't wear them until spring, but hard to go wrong at that price.

Also picked these up for less than $20 for winter and muddy spring thaw conditions:
attachment.php

Both pairs of boots seem pretty well constructed. Interested to see how well they work out.

FWIW, my Moabs are a 9.5 wide, and the size 10 hiker fits me nicely, so I'd say it runs pretty close to true to size, perhaps a tad on the smallish size.

The insulated boots definitely run larger... got those in a 9, and they're still a bit roomy.

Just picked up a pair of Reebok Crossfit ATs. SUPER light and breathable, great tread that still feels solid on concrete (unlike some other "gripped" shoes I've had) and they were on sale for $25! :thmbup:

V70347_01.jpg

V70347_05.jpg

I would love to find something like this but with more toe protection.

k2-_81dd0da6-9577-46f7-b8ec-9b81572fa555.v1.jpg-153b6effd42a462125c7111664b68cfa54552e2b-optim-450x450.jpg

A buddy of mine swears this was the best accidental investment he has made.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Men-s-Low-Profile-Hiking-Boot/40646953
He bought these as a stop gap but says they have held up much better than he would have expected and the price means if you have to replace them, no big deal. Obviously they are not waterproof, but work really well for dry or (according to him) light dew. The one thing he says they could use is a pair of inserts and then would be great. These are not going to last multiple seasons (I doubt personally) but for nice days, this seems like a decent shoe especially for the price.

i use vasque juxt or vibram fivefingers for summer.

i use vasque snowburban for fall/winter/spring or mickey mouse boots if it's really ****ing cold, like today.

the juxt aren't waterproof; the vibrams dry out so fast that i don't care - i'm not wearing socks in them anyway. great water shoes if you have to go in, imo. the VFF get things like sticks caught between the toes and it can rip the seams or the soles away from the fabric - other than that, however, they are extremely durable. the juxt are okay.

snowburban and mickey mouse boots are both waterproof and quite warm. durability, i dunno, but they work.