• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Footwear

Disappointed with the lack of talk about waterproof shoes.

So I should just buy wool socks instead ?

Aldi has a 3 pack of winter outdoor socks this week for $4.99. Not wool but that's what I was planning on getting.

But, Ive never owned wool socks. Let alone a weeks worth.

https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-speci.../ps/p/adventuridge-mens-3-pair-outdoor-socks/

They also have an $18.99 hiking shoe but its only $1 less than Walmarts everyday price for theirs. Id rather buy from Walmart.

skip the Aldi socks and buy 2-3 pair of smart wool socks. they might be pricey, but they can be more important than your shoes and (believe it or not!) you DON'T need to change them every day. they will change your life though.

skip the Aldi socks and buy 2-3 pair of smart wool socks. they might be pricey, but they can be more important than your shoes and (believe it or not!) you DON'T need to change them every day. they will change your life though.

Agree. Or Darn Tough given the lifetime warranty. Either way, merino wool is anti-microbial so you could wear the socks more than once between washings and they won't be funky.

Sorry I can't help on waterproof shoes. I've only ever had two pair and they were hot and didn't breathe, and weren't completely waterproof. I won't attempt them again.

I see that a few people here have recommended Merrell in here. I have a pair of Moabs that I've been wearing for a while now and I couldnt ask for a better shoe. While they arent technically waterproof they keep my feet dry when walking through taller wet grass which is just fine.

I've seen smart wool hyped up in other places before but never tried them before. Might have to pull the trigger on a few pairs.

For anyone interested in trying wool socks.....sierra trading post has smartwool cosmetic seconds for like $8 - $10 A pair instead of $20+.

I see they have many ultralight models, but I am still scared to death to where wool here unless it's January. I might dehydrate from the sweating feets. That, or my new Salomons might catch on fire.

It's not Louisiana, but Minnesota does get warm and humid in the summer. In the 90's with high dew points. I only golf in wool socks, in my Salomons, since I've tried them. Seriously - your feet stay cooler and drier.
And fwiw, I don't have ultralights. I have lights with some cushion in them.

I happened to go to Costco today. Not a member but shop with gift cards. Found a 4 pack for $11.99. Silly me bought them but didn't realize until I got home that they were size medium and I wear Large.

They are not 100% wool but 72% merino wool,27% nylon and 1% spandex.

Came home and found they have 6 packs online for $16.99 with free shipping. 5% surcharge for non-members like me. But 4% sales tax savings.

On the way home, I picked up the Aldi socks because they have them for size 12-14 which will fit better. But no wool.

They are 89%,10% and 1%.

I wont be going back to Costco for a month or so. So I might just buy the 6 pack and pay the stupid surcharge. And then return the mediums when I go back.

I'm not inclined to pay more than $4 a pair.

Was going to keep the Aldi set but maybe not since the 6 pack are so much cheaper on a per pair basis.

A brand called Kentwool makes awesome socks. I first encountered them being marketed to ball golfers, but they are great for everything. They are also a great company with a really long history owned and operated here in the US.

I hate foot wear.
That's pretty much the main reason I buy shoes... so my feet don't wear. :|

I see that a few people here have recommended Merrell in here. I have a pair of Moabs that I've been wearing for a while now and I couldnt ask for a better shoe. While they arent technically waterproof they keep my feet dry when walking through taller wet grass which is just fine.

I wear Moabs all year and at the end of the year, retire them to disc golf. Buy new pair. Repeat. I've been wearing them since 2006. Hiking boot, walking shoe, golfing shoe.

I wear Moabs all year and at the end of the year, retire them to disc golf. Buy new pair. Repeat. I've been wearing them since 2006. Hiking boot, walking shoe, golfing shoe.

I was gifted them a while ago and only wore them on the rare occasion I would be outside doing a lot of walking on dirt/rough terrain but never appreciated how great they are until I started playing in them.

Well, I had to go back to Costco because I bought medium socks instead of large. I assumed they were one size.

So went back to swap them and, sure enough, found something else to buy. A $30 pair of waterproof boots.

I don't want boots, I want shoes. But I cant find any $30 waterproof shoes with good reviews. Walmart has some $25 boots but the Costco are better because they are returnable after 90 days. Not that I bought them to return, I hope they last me 4-5 winters. But I wont wear them year round because I don't want boots. But in winter, boots and wool socks ought to take away some of my excuses to stop playing regularly.

My hope is to lose another 5-15 pounds. My fear is I gain back another 5-10. This will be my first winter. And last years Jeans are 2 sizes too big. I'm thinking sweat pants will be my disc golf pants this winter. With thermals on really cold days.

But, the entire season changing is new to me.

I weighed the Socks. The wool socks weigh more than the aldi socks. But, the aldi socks beat the cheap cotton ones I'm used to.

Wearing out my Moabs quickly on right toe. Has anyone tried wearing a pitchers toe protector or the Tuff Toe epoxy applied to prevent abrasion and quick wear?

Wearing out my Moabs quickly on right toe. Has anyone tried wearing a pitchers toe protector or the Tuff Toe epoxy applied to prevent abrasion and quick wear?

Yes, works awesome. If you are dragging your toe, but the rest of the shoe is holding up, Tuff Toe is totally worth it. If you are wearing out the rest of the shoes equally fast, maybe don't bother. But on my shoes I used it on, the rest of the shoe will be unusable way before the Tuff Toe part.