• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand advice

mcnal1sp

My buddy likes to throw FH but the interior rim of his discs rub his finger pretty badly to where he gets cuts and it affects his throwing. I don't throw that way at all so any advice anyone could throw my way would be appreciated! Thanks!

Have him go out in a field and try every different kinda grip he can come up with until one feels and works well without tearing up his hand.

Need to callus the finger up. Keep playing, but not to the point it breaks skin. Lotion helps while playing when it starts getting dried up, thats typically when it breaks skin.

It puts the lotion on the skin!

Last edited:
just keep him throwing until he builds up his callous. it will hurt for a while, but it's just initiation.

just keep him throwing until he builds up his callous. it will hurt for a while, but it's just initiation.

This was my experience as well. Conditioning takes a little time. I tried applying band-aids, moleskin, etc. and didn't like it--caused slipping.

A temporary fix is to use a disc with a more rounded inner edge. I have a Discraft XS and a Gateway Diablo that slip out of my grip easier, and are not as sharp.

The fact that they slip out easier may be a bad thing for some people, but it doesn't bother me that much.

Stop throwing Innova discs that have huge flashing on them.

I wrap my hand in medical tape if I've been playing a lot and my callous feels like its going to rip out. It can be a bit tricky to get the tape just right, tight enough that it won't come off, loose enough that you still have some feeling and touch.

I also find that the larger winged drivers hurt more, so I stick with speed 9 and under.

I really appreciate the advice! From the look of things, I think he's got four choices: 1) experiment with discs that have a wider rim and may not hurt his finger, 2) utilize some sort of bandage/athletic tape as a preventative measure, 3) try to start using a completely different for than what feels natural (he'll hate that, btw), or 4) suck it up and play

i had this same problem, i just took a very fine grit sandpaper and ground off the flashing on the discs. that helped for a while, then i tried the athletic tape. after a while you just have to learn different grips and learn BH because it will save your finger for sure.

tell *cough* "your friend" to man up and stop having girly hands. Put down the lotions and get some callouses. :thmbup:

in all seriousness,
i'd really take a look a look at the implementation of the 2 finger and/or fan grip. (and maybe overall throwing technique??? check videos here-> http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10080 to verify proper form, hands, etc...)
i'm not sure you are using either properly if you are getting "cuts" and/or blisters... i can understand a few sore spots, but why is it that after (say) 18 holes he's thrown enough to cause serious damage. I am wondering why (say) 30-50 throws is thrashing his hand.....

tape the fingers until they get "tough"
make sure you've trimmed off any extra "manufacting excess" flashing on the disc.

Also,
try different discs.... some discs arent FH (hand) friendly.
I use: Rhyno, (163g) Orc, Wraith and Destroyer (katana is ok too).

Good news! I don't know if anyone's tried using a glove or not, but my buddy and I met up at Freedom Park earlier and played a quick nine. After the first round, his finger had reopened and was bugging like crazy. Spitting out ideas, I offered to let him use one of my old mountain bike gloves in the backseat of my car. He tried it out and had an amazing second round and his finger never bugged him! I appreciate all the pointers and advice you all contributed!

I would try a different grip. I'm not sure what it's called but the grip I use is 2 fingers on the inside of the rim and 2 on the outside. like the "live long and prosper" thing from star trek. I've played as many as 72 holes a day with no problems.

that's an odd grip. i use two fingers on the inside rim and the thumb pinching down on them (mainly on the middle finger which is closer to the rim)