• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Drill

AByrd

Bogey Member
After I reached 60 last year, I made the decision to start working on my forehand game. First, because all golfers need a forehand game. Secondly, it seems to be easier on the body than the backhand. By the way, I'm 5-10, 260. I can't afford to put my knees through a lot of stress.

I've watched tons and tons of technique drills and tournament footage. I've read just about everything on this site and the old DGR Forums. I've become semi-proficient up to 200', but after that, it's a crapshoot.

I found this on YouTube tonight. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it could have potential.

Have any of you forehand throwers ever tried anything like this?

Yeah I definitely like it. Try it with a hammer or wrench in your hand as well, at 1/3-1/2 speed and feel the leverage when it wants to swing. That should help with feeling when to snap through because of the weight, what he's showing with "throwing inside of the ball on the tee" in that clip. Instead you'd be smashing through that ball with the hammer, or the nose of your disc.

You don't have to get super wide and super spiraled over either, just enough to feel athletic/quick rather than anchored and slow.

Lead with the butt/pelvis, for the shift from behind. This helps anchor you and give you mass to swing and leverage from through that tee ball.