• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Rollers

Unfortunately, where I live there are about zero courses that offer good roller opportunities. Everything's hilly and heavily wooded. However, when I play somewhere that's a bit flatter and somewhat more open, I use a Star Firebird or Neutron Shock for forehand rollers. I will say, a couple rollers I use that don't get much recognition are the scooby roller and the thumber roller. I use my putter for those whenever I need to just roll about 40-50 feet and curve hard to one side. They can be real useful for getting around something close when you've got too much stuff up high to throw.

#1 definitely the Condor! It is a beast!

I also use a katana for sharper cuts

Unfortunately, where I live there are about zero courses that offer good roller opportunities. Everything's hilly and heavily wooded. However, when I play somewhere that's a bit flatter and somewhat more open, I use a Star Firebird or Neutron Shock for forehand rollers. I will say, a couple rollers I use that don't get much recognition are the scooby roller and the thumber roller. I use my putter for those whenever I need to just roll about 40-50 feet and curve hard to one side. They can be real useful for getting around something close when you've got too much stuff up high to throw.

Yeah Nick I'll tell ya what man I'm in that same boat. First my wife left me but then the flashbacks came. It really was a simpler time and we're just lucky to be a part of it

I use them mainly off the tee and occasionally to get out of trouble. I usually use beat up champ bosses, destroyers and a beat up star xcal. There are a few holes I can only birdie with this shot because I can get them out further than an air shot. I have had a couple of forehand rollers go out to just shy of 500. I put them on the ground at this angle / and have them S out on the ground...usually if there is a left to right wind (wind on the flight plate) they will stand up longer and go further.

One of the ways I practice these as a get out of trouble shot is when playing casual round I will flick roll a disc or to from the pin to the next tee to get it down. It has helped me a ton with my form on these.

I'm super curious about the Ape. I played with a dude in Seattle that forced it over BH landing it very close and it rolled 400 plus on a rope and fell over.

If I can get the ape to roll at the correct angle and power, I can get it to roll on a flat surface about 450ft. On I-5 (DeLa hole 13) the dream shot is to power that puppy down the fairway and have it finish left leaving me a 45-50 foot putt. I've done it before a few times but have never hit the putt.

The guy I have seen with the best FH roller off the tee uses a XXX. With a decently flat top it resists standing all the way up until it really looses steam. Like Koda said the blunt edge helps.

I am working on this shot, but only use it for get out of trouble shots currently. Usually a Mercy or a XXX.

Yeah Nick I'll tell ya what man I'm in that same boat. First my wife left me but then the flashbacks came. It really was a simpler time and we're just lucky to be a part of it

HUH? WTF?

I have yet to develop a roller so pardon my ignorance. How far in the air are these longer rollers going before they hit the ground?

I have yet to develop a roller so pardon my ignorance. How far in the air are these longer rollers going before they hit the ground?

On flat mowed grass I get mine out about 50-75ft before it hits the ground. I can get my FH rollers consistently 350-400ft. I got one about 600ft once on a ball/disc golf course. It all depends on what kind of ground your working with.
Out here in Colorado, the terrain doesn't call for rollers too much.

Just to be clear we are talking about flick rollers. They normally hit the ground sooner than backhand rollers and people typically use very stable discs that are resistant to turning over once they stand up.

I have used the Star Max but not champ Max. Is it massively more stable? I do like the wide edge.

Champ Max is crazy overstable - been rolling the same one for 5 years and it's still a beast to throw. I've found that the OS drivers(Max, Firebird & Banshee) work best because I'm more consistent getting them down clean. I could see a champ Ape working but never used one myself.

One of the ways I practice these as a get out of trouble shot is when playing casual round I will flick roll a disc or to from the pin to the next tee to get it down. It has helped me a ton with my form on these.
This is a great idea. I'm going to have to start doing that.

Forehand rollers tend to not carry as far before touching down. The 400'+ FH rollers I have seen land about 100-150' up the fairway, while the longest backhand rollers I have thrown (500+) carry close to 250' before touching down.

Most of my FH rollers are for holes less than 300' with trees and terrain that works well.

Straight roller that finishes left Z Wasp

Roller that needs an angle before turning back left, Gazelle

Roller that I need to go right, putter

I use fh rollers as a driving method since I throw Lhfh and rhbh.

H1, xxx. Xxx is like having 4 wheel drive. It hops over stuff and just keeps rolling because of how flat the outer rim is.

That said, I roll my rocs, my aviars, tb and tesla, xxx and my faf giant. They all have their uses.

What plastic do you have that roller XXX in?

Latest posts