• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehanders...whats your distance driver?

money 21 said:
dgfanatic7 said:
butter said:
started playing this year for the first time in years, playing all FH drives and playing 18holes about 3-4times a week. I've been working on getting rid of my flutter a lot lately. I could put it out 300' every time accurately in a number of lines but i'd get flutter once the disc would get 100 ft out, flutter for 50ft, then fly fine the rest. the other day i changed my grip from the typical one finger on the rim and one towards the center to the "FH power grip" where your both fingers are next to each other against the rim. Just from changing that, I'm maxing at around 375' instead of 325' and with absolutely no flutter every time. accuracy is down a little, but w/ a little practice it should be back to where it was.

now to get the 100-175ft FH approach down w my mids, i turn it over almost everytime :(

yeah its hard to fh approach a mid, no matter what stability, i even turn over hornets, but i cant turn over my zone, its so bizzare, havent tried a drone though
i currently use the zone as well. the demon is another great fh approach disc.

Gator! Longest tenured disc in my bag and I can use the thing for any type of forehand shot. I can even stretch it out sometimes for fun. One of my favorite discs ever.

I share the sentiment of Mike C. Beast is great straight disc BH and FH. Low (4' apex) line drive 290' plus a minor skip last Tuesday in my first outdoor FH field practice session was my best. Didn't have any fast discs with me, so i no clue how far i could throw FH. I normally don't, because i've been worried about my arm injuries getting aggravated. It ain't a problem any more yay! Unfortunately my back hurt for two days afterward and my ankle has at times been giving me agony. I had 3 minutes freedom from pain tomorrow morning and then it hit again in my ankle. Grrr. I'd like to test, how far i could throw FH with faster discs, but it seems it will be at least until next season, that i can use a run up and throw mostly with the body FH in full force drives. This is too bad, because i loved field testing it, because it's something i've never done and it worked ok. For a first session. I'd like to see how good i could get with it with reps.

Mike C said:
All the shorter holes I'll throw 3 or 4 BH putter drives, then do the same for FH.
I am insanely jealous that you can do this. Throwing multiple FH drives on multiple holes would keep me off the course for a week!

Mike C said:
With forehands in particular it seems people don't often think to say, take a wide stance and throw a touch 100' forehand anhyzer approach when you've got a weird spot to throw from in the woods.
One of the long-time Seneca players gave me that excellent advice a while ago. Stretch forehand anhyzers with a Comet or Ion have saved me quite a few strokes.

Mike C said:
It seems like a lot of players have a great focus on BH and learning to disc down, shape lines and control slow discs, but for some reason when it comes to FH none of this form or discing down stuff applies anymore and just throw dump hyzers with overstable plastic all day and you're pro.
A year ago, I could forehand S CDs up to 300' and Star Teebirds up to 270'. I would FH everything in the bag - Valkyries, Leopards, Comets, whatever. Then I aggravated an old shoulder injury and stopped throwing FH for a while. I am slowly adding FH back into my game, mostly those "dump hyzer" approaches with Ions and Rocs, although Rocs can do some amazing pure FH hyzers.

My FH still has some OAT, and it is still shorter than my BH. Consequently, I usually choose a FH disc one notch faster or one notch more stable compared with an equivalent BH throw. For example, I would probably FH a Roc to finish right for a shot where I would BH an Ion to finish left.

I hope to clean up and stretch out my FH over the winter, but it is a slow process when the number of practice throws is limited.

Mike C said:
I think some people really underestimate the overall utility of certain shots. With forehands in particular it seems people don't often think to say, take a wide stance and throw a touch 100' forehand anhyzer approach when you've got a weird spot to throw from in the woods. It seems like a lot of players have a great focus on BH and learning to disc down, shape lines and control slow discs, but for some reason when it comes to FH none of this form or discing down stuff applies anymore and just throw dump hyzers with overstable plastic all day and you're pro. I mean just read through this thread. What DGR reader would train his sub-300' BH throw with a Firebird? He'd get laughed off the board. But FH that's cool.
I think this attitude towards forehand comes from it being used mostly as a trick shot/the prevalence of frisbeescience (disc golf version of broscience, Its a term I'm trying to coin :wink: ) when people talk about forehands. There isn't really any conclusive evidence (that I know of) that forehand spins less, yet that is almost a widely accepted fact. So people throw stable discs and other people say its okay.

I myself don't know how people get distance on those things. It feels like starting disc golf over again where every disc would go about 250', putters, mids, everything.

Mike C said:
Yeah these shots are a lot of fun. I've been using standstill putter flick approaches a lot recently in places where a BH would work fine, but I've found in the 60-150' range FH ups feel super accurate.

I've been using this shot way more over the past year. At first I was using a beat up rhyno I kept in the bag for mostly just this shot but now I am way more comfortable with flicking my aviars and have been just using those. It is a super useful shot and is way easier than most people think.

I've been messing around at shorter courses and wooded courses by bringing out a bag with 6-8 Ions and an Axis or two. All the shorter holes I'll throw 3 or 4 BH putter drives, then do the same for FH. It's improved my FH form dramatically and now I feel confident shaping lines with any disc in my bag, which is much different than just being able to flick anything to make it go fairly straight.

I think some people really underestimate the overall utility of certain shots. With forehands in particular it seems people don't often think to say, take a wide stance and throw a touch 100' forehand anhyzer approach when you've got a weird spot to throw from in the woods. It seems like a lot of players have a great focus on BH and learning to disc down, shape lines and control slow discs, but for some reason when it comes to FH none of this form or discing down stuff applies anymore and just throw dump hyzers with overstable plastic all day and you're pro. I mean just read through this thread. What DGR reader would train his sub-300' BH throw with a Firebird? He'd get laughed off the board. But FH that's cool.

I've been working on throwing forehand drives on shorter holes also recently and it has really improved my form. I haven't been able to get my putters out past about 200' or so consistently but my mid flicks have really improved and I can throw them up to 250'.

I don't think people realize how easy it is to flick a mid or putter with just a bit of practice. People seem to have a mental block when thinking about flicking anything less than a super stable driver or mid. it's weird.

I have this mental block. Although when I was discrafting it up I flicked a Zone for a number of upshots and it worked great!

exactly, i can forehand a zone as hard as i can and it never turns over, i messed around with a control grip for the wasp i have and it turned over but came back, got it to about 250 ft so im experimenting more with this grip, it can be pretty useful in the right situation

..I like the c-pd2 for max distance fh, it's really sweet once beaten in. I used to use the boss, but it can't handle the snap the way the pd2 does.

..I also love the King for fh anhyzers shots. It's easy distance.

..I use a champ max, pd2, or dx whippet for all my upshots depending on the flight path. Staright pd2, max for utility, and whippet for high floating shots.

found my dream mid range for fh, the gateway x out warrior, more driver like than the buzz, flat as all get out and lower profile than the buzzz as well, it will also help me with my backhand work, an excellent midrange easily overlooked :)

dgfanatic7 said:
found my dream mid range for fh, the gateway x out warrior, more driver like than the buzz, flat as all get out and lower profile than the buzzz as well, it will also help me with my backhand work, an excellent midrange easily overlooked :)

I could see that being a really comfortable FH mid. Warriors are nice, they just don't didn't glide quite as well as other similar discs last time I tried them. But for a FH approach disc that could be a good thing in some situations.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Nuke and Pro Boss for my distance FHs. The Pro Destroyer has done me pretty good as well. I'm going to have to decide soon as I don't need anymore molds in my bag.

Sean40474 said:
I'm having a hard time deciding between the Nuke and Pro Boss for my distance FHs. The Pro Destroyer has done me pretty good as well. I'm going to have to decide soon as I don't need anymore molds in my bag.

Close your eyes and compare the feel of the Nuke and Boss in your hand. Do you think that that much difference is going to mess your game up?

Discs are like girlfriends. Limit them when you have to.

Mark Ellis said:
Sean40474 said:

Close your eyes and compare the feel of the Nuke and Boss in your hand. Do you think that that much difference is going to mess your game up?

haha love that comparison mark

Mark Ellis said:
Sean40474 said:

Lol, I just woke up and I'm not quite awake. I read that as "Like them when you have to."

I hear you though, I know it won't make a difference, it should be an easy decision. I like how the Pro Boss beats in, but it can be unpredictable once you hit something hard enough. The ESP Nukes I've had as of late have been a little different in stability. I just need to beat the Nuke in a little and it'll be money.

i would perfer a Z nuke over a esp, the esp get pretty squirelly when you beat them in enough, but im actually perfering a champ boss over a z nuke, it cuts through the wind nicely and i still get the same distance as i would a nuke

Too bad the cryztal memorial nukes aren't regular production, mine has always flown great and felt wonderful to me. Much more stable than the FR Z Nukes I threw.

With the exception of putting, all i am able to throw is FH due to a torn labrum in my throwing shoulder. So I have been forced to learn how to throw a FH properly and ive found SUPER FLAT DISCS work the best for me. Ive launched 400 footers (seriously) with these 3 discs:

172g Elite Z Crush (if you don't snap enough, it will hyzer HARD and quick after release. If you snap enough and quickly, straight and pretty)

172g CE TeeRex (too much snap it will never hyzer, it will go straight for ever and skip like a stone. Great distance driver. If you can get a slight Anhyzer, it will S curve into a BEAUTIFUL drive)

168g Quest AT Inferno (great S curve FH driver for me. And, a very accurate FH upshot or approach shot.)

Proper Form is everything with FH, not just for consistency but also for injury prevention. Ive learned this the hard way.

I have found with dome-ier discs (beast, valk) , i can't get anywhere near the distance or the accuracy so i stick with flat, HARD plastic.

Good luck out there! hit some chains

I've too noticed that how flat or domey the disc is really affects me more when throwing FH. BH it's not really an issue at all, but for FH flat beats domey any day, the feel is just so much nicer.

Frank Delicious said:
My new answer to this question is a 152 blizzard destroyer.
this

ive been fh'ing my 150 bliz and have been doing it with ease. it doesnt skip as much but still nice to have a longer fh without oating it and having it turn and burn.