• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehanders...whats your distance driver?

dgfanatic7 said:
butter said:
started playing this year for the first time in years, playing all FH drives and playing 18holes about 3-4times a week. I've been working on getting rid of my flutter a lot lately. I could put it out 300' every time accurately in a number of lines but i'd get flutter once the disc would get 100 ft out, flutter for 50ft, then fly fine the rest. the other day i changed my grip from the typical one finger on the rim and one towards the center to the "FH power grip" where your both fingers are next to each other against the rim. Just from changing that, I'm maxing at around 375' instead of 325' and with absolutely no flutter every time. accuracy is down a little, but w/ a little practice it should be back to where it was.

now to get the 100-175ft FH approach down w my mids, i turn it over almost everytime :(

yeah its hard to fh approach a mid, no matter what stability, i even turn over hornets, but i cant turn over my zone, its so bizzare, havent tried a drone though
i currently use the zone as well. the demon is another great fh approach disc.

butter said:
started playing this year for the first time in years, playing all FH drives and playing 18holes about 3-4times a week. I've been working on getting rid of my flutter a lot lately. I could put it out 300' every time accurately in a number of lines but i'd get flutter once the disc would get 100 ft out, flutter for 50ft, then fly fine the rest. the other day i changed my grip from the typical one finger on the rim and one towards the center to the "FH power grip" where your both fingers are next to each other against the rim. Just from changing that, I'm maxing at around 375' instead of 325' and with absolutely no flutter every time. accuracy is down a little, but w/ a little practice it should be back to where it was.

now to get the 100-175ft FH approach down w my mids, i turn it over almost everytime :(

For that try not to move the arm more than 2" and flick with the wrist fast. If it still turns over reducing to 1" of arm motion will help some.

dgfanatic7 said:
yeah its hard to fh approach a mid, no matter what stability, i even turn over hornets, but i cant turn over my zone, its so bizzare, havent tried a drone though
I dont really agree with that, my forehand sucks but I can flick an aviar 150' on a pure hyzer line and it wont even think of flipping. if people can flick ultimate lids, we should be able to flick a mid. for approaches I use all wrist and hip opening, my arm motion is nearly passive.

The Hornet ain't the strongest disc to fight FH OAT. Gator is way better and more forgiving. If you are certain, that your wrist does not roll over, the issue can be the bottom of the disc scraping the top of the index finger. Aligning the fingers to be less horizontal and more diagonally rising will raise the bottom of the disc above the top of the index finger helping to eliminate scraping as a source of flipping.

Triflusal said:
dgfanatic7 said:
I dont really agree with that, my forehand sucks but I can flick an aviar 150' on a pure hyzer line and it wont even think of flipping. if people can flick ultimate lids, we should be able to flick a mid. for approaches I use all wrist and hip opening, my arm motion is nearly passive.

+1

People tend to have a lot more OAT on their FH throws than they think, especially when they are trying to throw for power.

Triflusal said:
dgfanatic7 said:

i find flicking 150' on a pure hyzer is significantly easier than a flat shot w no/small fade at the end. i have no trouble flicking a roc 100'-200' on a hyzer line, its the flat shots that are difficult

butter said:
i find flicking 150' on a pure hyzer is significantly easier than a flat shot w no/small fade at the end. i have no trouble flicking a roc 100'-200' on a hyzer line, its the flat shots that are difficult
Meaning you've got form issues. It's usually either OAT or a severe lack of spin, or both.

I mostly only forehand when I have to turn right, and then I turn to a DX Banshee for drives and approaches. I don't get as much distance out of it as I'd like on the drives, but it's easy button.

jubuttib said:
butter said:
Meaning you've got form issues. It's usually either OAT or a severe lack of spin, or both.

prob OAT, :(

butter said:
Triflusal said:
dgfanatic7 said:

uhh unless you are forehand dominant/throwing an escape shot, why would you want to throw a flat no fade flick versus just throwing a backhand?

FH dominant, working on backhands, almost anything under 125' ill backhand

Triflusal said:
uhh unless you are forehand dominant/throwing an escape shot, why would you want to throw a flat no fade flick versus just throwing a backhand?
Do you count situations where the line is slightly obscured in a BH stance but opens up wide in a FH stance escape shots?

I throw flat, no fade flicks when the line sets up better to my eye forehand. The good thing about having both throws is you can do stuff like that.

jubuttib said:
Triflusal said:
Do you count situations where the line is slightly obscured in a BH stance but opens up wide in a FH stance escape shots?
sure why not

the gateway slayer has some potential here i was crushing one in the field today.

butter said:

I've recently discovered the Spider for a shorter range FH disc.. For me its been the best disc I've ever thrown FH that was not a driver.

169-171 star destroyers 275-325'

I'll also throw a spirit for a flex shot for even more ridiculous distance, or if it's crazy headwindy.

kern9787 said:
+1

People tend to have a lot more OAT on their FH throws than they think, especially when they are trying to throw for power.

+2

Frank Delicious said:
I throw flat, no fade flicks when the line sets up better to my eye forehand. The good thing about having both throws is you can do stuff like that.

Yeah these shots are a lot of fun. I've been using standstill putter flick approaches a lot recently in places where a BH would work fine, but I've found in the 60-150' range FH ups feel super accurate.

I've been messing around at shorter courses and wooded courses by bringing out a bag with 6-8 Ions and an Axis or two. All the shorter holes I'll throw 3 or 4 BH putter drives, then do the same for FH. It's improved my FH form dramatically and now I feel confident shaping lines with any disc in my bag, which is much different than just being able to flick anything to make it go fairly straight.

I think some people really underestimate the overall utility of certain shots. With forehands in particular it seems people don't often think to say, take a wide stance and throw a touch 100' forehand anhyzer approach when you've got a weird spot to throw from in the woods. It seems like a lot of players have a great focus on BH and learning to disc down, shape lines and control slow discs, but for some reason when it comes to FH none of this form or discing down stuff applies anymore and just throw dump hyzers with overstable plastic all day and you're pro. I mean just read through this thread. What DGR reader would train his sub-300' BH throw with a Firebird? He'd get laughed off the board. But FH that's cool.