• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehanders...whats your distance driver?

I throw predominately FH and OH. Firebirds, Monsters for overhands and DD2s, PD2s, many Bosses FH. I have noticed there aren't many people on here praising or even talking about Bosses, and there has to be some of you guys out there bombing FHs. What are you throwing for max distance and on what types of lines?

And for the record, I hyzer flip DD2s. Throw hyzer flips to flex shots to spikes with many Bosses. And the PD2 is more of a straight/hyzer line, mostly for when its windy.

I use the same drivers for both BH & FH. I think I've had the best luck with the Force and the AvengeR.

i used to throw the firebird/monster/max or whatever the overstable disc flavor of the month was. i wanted to get a bit more d and gave the king a shot and it's working well. the vip (opto) is a bit more hss than the tournament (gold line). i can get it out past 350 consistently and have broken 400 a few times with it. throw it nice and flat and it will inch left (rhfh) and then finish right.

When my form is good: DX Valk or DX Beast, or maybe a 150 Boss or 150 Vulcan.
Most of the time: Heavier Boss

I'm not that good with FH (Topping out around 375') but my longest disc has been a 169g 1.1 QOLF.

star destroyer, super domey teebird, or a super beat esp nuke. 325ish pretty consistently

i use a boss as more of a utility disc, i have no where near the arm to throw it well. if i need a crazy S, huge right turn or need something to skip, i use a boss. i think im going to switch to a firebird next spring though

Depends on the distance, but if I am going all out I usually pick up a beat 1st run Destroyer or a fresh super domey SDS or ESDS Destroyer.

My 170 Tournament King thrown hard and flat on a low line turns over for a nice s-line but not into a headwind. My seasoned Z Nuke can take a lot of arm, some wind, and my bad form on a flatish throw under 20' of height for 330' with a big fade on an all out good throw. I think I could flex the Nuke for a little more distance but my elbow screams WHY. I suggest getting a beat in lightish Pro Wraith for good D and a lot more control when its not windy.

I'm throwing Orange 172g Q Qusars farther then I was throwing 167g Stablilized Star Bosses. 400ft plus for both but the Boss is broken in and the Quasars are still new.

Pred for spike Hyzers, Force for D and long Hyzers, Boss or Destroyers for bombs and turnover bombs, Eagle X for dead straight placement shots and gentle hyzers and the Avenger SS for hyzers that flip anny and hold anny. I threw the avenger ss today sidearm on a steep hyzer, it flipped straight and went 325-350 on a dead frozen rope. It was sick and I am excited to see if I can perfect this line.

For maximum distance: Nukes, Nukes and more Nukes. Nothing else comes close in my hands.

A Nuke and a Z Nuke are actually different molds (though very similar). I find Z Nukes to be more overstable and ESP Nukes to glide farther. So a Z Nuke is more controllable and better fighting wind but an ESP Nuke is the pure distance champion.

For distance I normally throw on an "S" line, so released on a slight anhyzer angle which flattens out then finishes on a hyzer. I have a beat up ESP Nuke which I hyzer flip for distance (released on a hyzer angle which flips up and glides straight or anhyzers depending on how much it turns).

Any big rimmed, far gliding disc will be touchy, which is why they glide so far (the faster anything goes the harder it is to control. If you are unsure of this principle try parallel parking a car at high speed). The more overstable the driver the less touchy it will be. I have found the key to controlling a Nuke is to be careful with the nose angle on release (the nose is the leading edge of the disc as it flies). So if the nose is pointed too high or low or off angled on release it affects both distance and direction. A very tight grip will help with a flat and clean release, keeping the proper nose angle.

If I have to drive into a headwind it becomes a strategy decision whether I choose distance or control. For distance a Nuke. For control a Crush or Force. For maximum control (but giving up any hope of distance a Z Talon or a Nuke OS). I also find that driving forehand into a headwind works better for me if dial back on power and concentrate on releasing dead nuts flat and smooth. I tell myself "Don't Be Greedy, Don't Be Greedy, Don't Be Greedy." On a good day I listen to my own advice.

Btw, Don't Be Greedy is my typical mantra for playing in strong winds.

''For distance I normally throw on an "S" line, so released on a slight anhyzer angle which flattens out then finishes on a hyzer.''

I get 30' more D like this compared to flipped flat.

Seasoned Pro Wraiths are perfect for me. Still a little short of 400ft (straight golf line), but I'm getting there. I hope...

keltik said:
I use the same drivers for both BH & FH. I think I've had the best luck with the Force and the AvengeR.

I generally do as well, however I do also carry a 171 star destroyer specifically for max distance FH shots.

i drive all forehand unless its a short hole, then i use my putter backhand, i use preds, wraiths, or crushes depending on the length and look of the hole, im experimenting with pds, and use a 150g z flick for short long holes, also use xcals on occassion

I'll throw the same discs forehand or backhand. Predator, Wraith, OLF, PD, Quasar, Roc, Vector, Leopard. Controlled forehand D is about 350' and I can hit that with a most of my drivers, if I try to push it out farther than that... things can get ugly... :lol:

I started out only throwing FH. For some reason i don't forehand and backhand the same molds or discs. I always used a 170 Star destroyer for distance until i found a freak stable echo* Katana. This thing bombs super far. I can throw the Katana on a hyzer and out distance the star D on a flex line. I use glow FBs and 1st run xcals for short forehands. oh and a 10x teebird for the str8 short FHs. and of course my gummy spider for anything under 250'

Latest posts