• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Friend Flying into Charlotte needs Course Advice.

So here's the latest info. The guys are getting there around 9ish a.m. May 17th (Friday). They will have the remainder of the day and all day the 18th (Saturday) to play as much as they can. Here are the courses that are being considered:
Hornet's Nest
Renny
Robert L.
Nevin
Bradford
possibly Brackett's Bluff.
So, my question to the locals would be:
1.) Have I missed a course that should be a "must-play"?
2.) What order should they be played taking into consideration the time frames, the traffic, and the crowded factors?
(Renny and Nevin seem to be considered the "hardest" so take for granted they will be played on different days)
Thanks!!!! .......................jerry

I wonder if navigation is any better now that they've eliminated the overlapping layouts?

There are still overlapping layouts, and we managed to get confused. But we were rushing; I'm told we missed some obvious signs that would have sent us in the right direction. So we played the black (or "gray" layout, as they're calling it now), with 3 gold holes we stumbled into in place of 1 or 2 black holes we missed.

If you decide against Bracketts I recomend Eastway as one of the more fun courses..The Nest,Nevin,Bracketts and Bradford are all in northern Charlotte...R.L.Smith and Renny are more south Charlotte.---HAVE FUN and expect to be challenged.PEACE.

Where are you staying? Assuming staying uptown or relatively easy to navigate from/to:

Day 1 (Start near airport and travel south): RL Smith (1.5 hours), Renny (2.5 hours), Angry Beaver (2.0 hours) and/or Winget (1.5 hours)

Day 2 (Travel further North as you go) : Nevin (2 hours), Hornets Nest (1.5 hours), Bradford (1.5 hours) and/or Bracketts (2.0 hours)

These sort of threads crack me up. I think the title should be "We're excited to head to Charlotte and hope you can share our excitement!" ....and I do share your excitement! Should be a lot of fun. All possible feedback contained in this thread can much more easily and more completely be found in the reviews....except for advise about how crowded the courses (and roads) can get in what time of day and on what days.

My advise from having made this sort of "play as much golf as humanly possible" trip to various areas: Print maps of the courses and of the city and organize them well (even if you have a smart phone). It makes the experience SO much more fun not to feel lost all the time.

These sort of threads crack me up. I think the title should be "We're excited to head to Charlotte and hope you can share our excitement!" ....and I do share your excitement! Should be a lot of fun. All possible feedback contained in this thread can much more easily and more completely be found in the reviews....except for advise about how crowded the courses (and roads) can get in what time of day and on what days.

My advise from having made this sort of "play as much golf as humanly possible" trip to various areas: Print maps of the courses and of the city and organize them well (even if you have a smart phone). It makes the experience SO much more fun not to feel lost all the time.

Thanks for the tips Dave. This actually is different from the usual "I'm gonna be in Charlotte" threads. While everyone is very excited about going (I just found out that I am able to get off work for this!!) It was very clear in the op that I wanted to get the "locals" opinions. A lot of the reviews that are available can be from people that came through and played one time under circumstances different than the ones described now. Traffic and best course route are the main reasons I ask for the locals opinion. It's not always as easy as "just google map it". Some parts of every town are a nightmare and some aren't as bad. I have already had lots of info come in from a couple locals on just the traffic situations that will exist. This in itself is information that isn't easily available. Also since some of these courses are very hard it sounds like, I wanted a person who "regularly" plays them to give me advice on which ones to play which day so as not to "overdo" it. It also is hard through a lot of the reviews to tell what "skill level" the person doing the review is at. That's why I went the extra step and gave everybody that info to help them understand when they are recommending different courses. There will be a course route set for each day once we have heard everything we need to hear from the locals and make our course selection, thanks for that tip.

Last edited:
These sort of threads crack me up.

But all in all if you got a good chuckle out of it, that's cool, you're welcome. :hfive: :D Thanks again Dave and all the guys who have went the extra mile to pm me or post their tips and recommendations. You guys in the Charlotte area are very blessed to have so many courses right at your fingertips...................jb

If you decide against Bracketts I recomend Eastway as one of the more fun courses..The Nest,Nevin,Bracketts and Bradford are all in northern Charlotte...R.L.Smith and Renny are more south Charlotte.---HAVE FUN and expect to be challenged.PEACE.

Where are you staying? Assuming staying uptown or relatively easy to navigate from/to:

Day 1 (Start near airport and travel south): RL Smith (1.5 hours), Renny (2.5 hours), Angry Beaver (2.0 hours) and/or Winget (1.5 hours)

Day 2 (Travel further North as you go) : Nevin (2 hours), Hornets Nest (1.5 hours), Bradford (1.5 hours) and/or Bracketts (2.0 hours)

Thanks guys, these two look to be solid options. We will be staying very near the Airport, not sure exactly which hotel yet but near.

Beware driving north towards Bradford later in the day. Around 330-4pm I-77 starts to become a parking lot as you get close to hwy 73 exit

I think starting north at brackett's/bradford and returning to Nevin/Hornet's is the better option

Bamm, did you check out that thread I linked, Charlotte: Definitive Poll for First Visit Courses? Really good info from locals with a good quantification of the opinions on which courses should be given priority. Bracketts is left off, unfortunately.

Yes Sir and I thank you for that. I had actually already checked that and a couple other threads out before I started this one. Just wanted to get a little more info from the locals on traffic and stuff like that.

As far as the order of play that we have do you guys see any issues with the courses being crowded? I have checked and as far as I know there aren't any tourney's scheduled for those days, not sure on league play though. As always, thanks.........jb

I'm not sure if we can get 4 courses in on the first day since we will be getting a little bit later start but if we do the guys have talked about just staying at Angry Beaver and playing Eager Beaver.

I'm not sure if we can get 4 courses in on the first day since we will be getting a little bit later start but if we do the guys have talked about just staying at Angry Beaver and playing Eager Beaver.

Glow round? Do Charlotte parks frown on glow without prior notice?

We probably won't run glow, especially being new to all the courses. I do think we will be able to play at a comfortable pace and get the 4th course in (Eager Beaver) since we won't have to drive to it.

Guys, thanks for all the help. This past weekend was a complete blast! We picked up my buddy from the airport at 8:30 Friday morning and thanks to the schedule that you guy's gave me, the whole weekend flowed silky smooth. We hit RL Smith first and knew the weekend was gonna be good. Renny was next and it kicked my butt but it was great. Then we hit Angry and eager beaver. Hit up the Hyatt Place and slept like a baby. Next morning we started out at the Hornet's nest and fell in love, great course. Then we hit Bradford and then Bailey and finished with another round at the Hornet's Nest. Thanks guys, this was the best disc golf trip ever. Thanks......jb

Latest posts