• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
Most n00bs would just think "oh its really fast so i'll be able to bomb it like 500 ft!!!" then they go to the course and throw a 150 foot n00b hyzer.

This is a post of the year nomination.

*adds n00b hyzer to his vocabulary*

The thing about the flight charts, especially the Innova ones, is that they don't actually tell you that the only way the speed 12 disc is going to produce that line is if you get it to speed 12 (whatever that is). Hence me buying a Teerex as one of my first discs.

I think we've all made that mistake. I remember when I used to turn over every disc, and thought it was because I just had a ****load of throwing power and certain discs couldn't handle how hard I threw them, so I bought a Firebird and proceeded to use it as my go to driver for the 250-300' range, hahah. That sure taught me a lot about good throwing form.

Practice

I just purchased a 172g Champion Groove last week and here is what I noticed:

This disc is perfect for hyzer flips or anhyzer flex shots. The key is speed. It's a speed 13 disc, so average players won't be able to throw it well (and might not even know what a hyzer flip is). If you're intermediate, you'll likely hate this disc and find it squirrely because even I noticed that when my speed is a little low and/or I fail to hit it, it can be unpredictable. When it's thrown with proper form, it glides a long way and has a very nice S to it when released flat. The S gets exaggerated when you have an anhyzer release and you must be careful not to put too much anhyzer or it'll turn and burn (but this is true of many discs). The glide is so high that it really shines in hyzer flip scenarios. It even gets some skip on the end. For weaker-armed throwers, avoid this disc, it will likely find the trash bin or get lost after you repeatedly spray it everywhere and make ridiculous adjustments to try and get it to fly right. From what I've seen in lower weights, this disc can be very troublesome for any type of thrower, so picking up one in the 170s is a good decision. No matter what you do, work with this disc in the field for several shots before you bring it on the course. It requires some getting used to because of its wide rim particularly for those with smaller hands.

Also, as a note, I wouldn't recommend using this on really tight shots because it does need some room to work like most fast maximum distance drivers. For that I'd say go buy a Tee-Bird.

I just purchased a 172g Champion Groove last week and here is what I noticed:

This disc is perfect for hyzer flips or anhyzer flex shots. The key is speed. It's a speed 13 disc, so average players won't be able to throw it well (and might not even know what a hyzer flip is). If you're intermediate, you'll likely hate this disc and find it squirrely because even I noticed that when my speed is a little low and/or I fail to hit it, it can be unpredictable. When it's thrown with proper form, it glides a long way and has a very nice S to it when released flat. The S gets exaggerated when you have an anhyzer release and you must be careful not to put too much anhyzer or it'll turn and burn (but this is true of many discs). The glide is so high that it really shines in hyzer flip scenarios. It even gets some skip on the end. For weaker-armed throwers, avoid this disc, it will likely find the trash bin or get lost after you repeatedly spray it everywhere and make ridiculous adjustments to try and get it to fly right. From what I've seen in lower weights, this disc can be very troublesome for any type of thrower, so picking up one in the 170s is a good decision. No matter what you do, work with this disc in the field for several shots before you bring it on the course. It requires some getting used to because of its wide rim particularly for those with smaller hands.

Also, as a note, I wouldn't recommend using this on really tight shots because it does need some room to work like most fast maximum distance drivers. For that I'd say go buy a Tee-Bird.

^ This. My experience with Grooves (in the 170-175g range) mirrors this exactly. They are deadly accurate discs when you know what they do. The predictability is perfect for FH "hyzer spikes."

Not a disc for everybody, but if you can control it, it is great.

I have the greatest Groove known to man. I'll have to get a pic up of it.

picture0025w.jpg

Tada! The Epic Fail Groove. I found this Groove and tried to return it but I got no call back, so I dyed the epitome of fail on the most failing disc of recent history. (More dyes posted in the dyeing forum).

My way

I love that dye. Groove-the Epic fail of discgolf. I have to dye a picture Austin Powers omit just to get an eBay sucker to buy it.

The Groove

I have seen a ton of bad reviews on The Groove. I am primarily a sidearm / forehand player....at least for distance off the tee. Can anyone lend some insight on The Groove as a viable option for a sidearmer trying to gain needed distance?

I am currently throwing a 175 pro line beast and/or a 175 CE Firebird.

Look forward to your responses.

step 1:

throw away the groove

step 2:

get a pearly orc or starfire for your FH shots

edit: don' throw the groove away if it's the EFG

Don't listen to these bozos the Groove is great. But not for distance. :|

if you throw it flat, it'll get a nice little s-curve in the flight. the starfire you can put a little anny on and it'll almost always fade back to the right. i FH'd all my drives until this season, so i've tried damn near all the "secret FH" drivers. i like the pearly orcs and starfires. gotta be pearly though. they're flat as a pancake and they just cruise through the air.

i threw one this morning about 4 feet off the ground, thing went like 225' then skipped about 5 feet high, then skipped again and almost got my first double-skip ace. :cool: booter might have some extra pearly orcs :)

I personally like the Groove, but not for forehand throws. It's kind of squirrely and generally just turns into a meathook. It can be quite effective for a backhand throw particularly downwind, but you'd have to anhyzer flex it. All of the forehand throws I have attempted with it in the field and on the course have been unpredictable.

Latest posts