• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway mystic / karma

Ok, so this is my first thread AND first post. I'm getting more into mids lately, and was thinking about ordering some evo karmas/mystics. Sale at gds right now. I'm pretty remote in canada and can't fondle them before i buy. I do have a FLAT mystic in s line and love the feel, just getting used to the easy pull and buttery glide. Any thoughts?

Welcome.

I'll start out by saying I definitely prefer the Element to the Mystic or Karma. The Element fits nicely in the hand, feels great in the Evo plastic and can hold a variety of lines. I see it as a longer, slightly less stable Buzzz. It's a stellar straight mid.

If we're focusing just on the Mystic and Karma, though, I like the Mystic better. Don't know why, but the Karma and I have never gotten along. I always pick up those two discs for field testing and hope something has changed for them to earn a spot in the bag (I love the feel of the plastic and grip), but they never have.

i used to like the Scout, but don't throw it anymore. You can normally ask the guys at gateway for a thought on what you want and they normally are pretty good, you just have to put it in order. I.E. would you rather have it flat, or blue.

You can normally ask the guys at gateway for a thought on what you want and they normally are pretty good, you just have to put it in order. I.E. would you rather have it flat, or blue.

Truth. The guys there are usually more than happy to go rummaging through the shelves to find the disc you're looking for. Feel free to be specific about weights, sizes, etc. and they'll help you out if they can.

Got a Karma recently, only a S plastic one in a players pack, but I love this mid range. Definitely would like to check out the E plastic ones. The one I got is really flat and hits a great line, flies on a Buzzz line with a Roc fade, it also fits comfortable in the hand for forehand shots as well and does a good thumb roller, nice versatile disc.

i actually think the element might be a good choice for me, but i was gonna try 2 gateway mids. the element would be smack in the middle stability-wise? could try element / warrior combo, but i'd like to stay a little more understable. hence the mystic / karma.

Oh, I don't know... I think the Mystic and Element are pretty comparable in stability. Just like the Karma and Warrior are rather similar in stability too.

Oh, I don't know... I think the Mystic and Element are pretty comparable in stability. Just like the Karma and Warrior are rather similar in stability too.

Decided to confirm my own thoughts from an outside source...
Looks like Inbounds agrees with me.

I prefer the feel of the Element myself, but Gateway has the profiles included on their poster. It's around the flight ratings in black.

If you look at that, you can see that the Mystic is a bit blunter while the Element has a profile that is similar to a lot of other popular midranges.

The Element, Mystic, and Karma, all feel pretty much identical in the hand.

I really don't agree with that. I think the Element and Karma feel similar. Not the Mystic... something is different there, I'm sure of it.

I guess what feels the same to me is the rounded inside of the rim, rather than the way most discs form a point where the flight plate meets the rim. That's what I really like about the feel of them.

Most stable to least stable (in my experience and with talking to Gateway employees) Warrior, Karma, Element, Mystic. So, if you're looking for 2 mids I would suggest a "sure grip" Karma (a little less stable than HPP) and a Mystic. I've never thrown a scout but I think its in between a Karma and Element?

If you're looking at trying out two mid ranges I would go with the Element and the Scout, they are very different flight paths from each other but they are staying on the understable side like you are wanting. I have a Karma Element and Scout, and I love the Element and Scout, they work perfectly together, and I am thinking about taking the Karma out of the bag. The Scout flies a lot like a buzzz with a little bit more stability and a slightly stronger fade in my opinion, and it feels like a buzzz with a smoothed out rim. Then the Element flies less stable, kind of like a buzzz ss, I carry 2 in the bag at all times, one beat one great for long anyhyzers or turnover shots, and then a newer one for hyzer flips and some turnovers.

My home course did a Gateway order for a tournament last year and are selling the leftovers in the shop. I have been looking for a nice understable mid and decided to give one a shot. I was hoping for an Element but they only had the Mystic and Karma.

My first impressions were that the Sure Grip plastic is really nice. It breaks in quick if you need a turnover disc like the Mystic or Element. The other things I noticed is the diameter is very large. Larger than your standard mid molds (I haven't checked my facts on this). The rim, however, seems noticeably shallow. Shallower than a Buzzz/Roc/Shark ect. Some people may like it, some may not. I'm not crazy about it.

Once I threw it I was VERY impressed with it's speed and glide. If this were made by Discraft they'd probably consider it a Fairway/Control Driver (i.e. Stratus, Glide, ect.). Now it's a bit more seasoned and will completely flip up, turn the direction the disc is spinning, and only fight out very late on a downhill shot. It's similar to throwing a Magic but on a longer scale.

Ultimately, I'd like to try the Element and ESP Meteor until I find a mold that I completely click with and have no "yeah, but"s about. I'd also like to say I'm a huge supporter of Gateway. They are a superb company with tremendous customer service.

Last edited:
I've experimented with the Mystic and Karma, but the Element is still king for me. I carry both Sure Grip and E HPP plastic an love them both. The Mystic was just recently retooled to be more understable, but I just got two yellow ones that are way too slick for me in the newest HPP run. The Element just feels the best in my hand, and that's huge for me.

Element is deeper than the Mystic but is still relatively shallow compared to a Buzzz. The Element is definitely more comfortable in the hand. I've been wanting to pick one up at Marshall Street but haven't made it down to Leicester recently.

All Day, are Evolution and HPP synonymous? Or is HPP more like Champion and Evolution HPP more like Star?

Evolution is the (high performance polymer), so yeah, same thing. Nice and grippy but still very scuff/tree resistant. Sure Grip is great too, and better for wet rounds.