• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting older

i ruptured a disc carrying a bucket of water (something i did/do all the time) the day after i turned 40. i had really expected the aging process to be less abrupt.

nothing reinforces aging as much for me as declining vision though... i can convince myself, however erroneously that my other aches and pains may improve...eyes on the other hand...

Im 48, 2 weeks ago I picked up a small bench I made [improperly Im sure] droped me to the floor with a strained back. But with getting older my throws are shorter but more accurate. Give and take.

I'm only 25 and have already been through 2 knee surgeries and have arthritis.

Can't wait to see how this goes 12 years from now.

Man with all this whining we're doing you would think we all live in senior citizen homes already LMAO

I am not going to preach, but I will just say what I am doing:

I am 38, and I used to have the aches and pains, till I seriously started working out, and taking my vitamins, and not eating crap anymore like donuts, and sweets.

I work hard also, I drive a truck, and unload that truck every night with ten stops dropping off pallets of auto parts, which are not light, with a manual pallet jack. One store has a small door, so I have to break down the whole pallet and walk everything in, piece, by piece.

I walk 2-3 miles a day, 3-5 times a week, and I hit the Bow-flex 3 times a week. I feel like I am 22 again, and I don't have many pains. My knee flairs up about once a month from an old basketball injury, but other than that, I feel great. I have also went down one pants size.

This sounds like a plan. I'll get right on it....

ok, maybe later, after a nap.

I quit smoking back in July and started biking and running regularly again. Because of which I'm in the best shape I've been in since high school. One thing I have noticed about getting older (I'm 33 now) is I cant take time off and expect to jump right back on the horse with no consequences. When the snow hit I didn't take any time to run or do any other cardio for a couple of weeks. Well I finally went for a run and the next day I could barely stand up my legs hurt so bad! So now along with fully warming up before a round or practice I also have to remind my self to ease into things and that the days of going all out, right out of the gates are behind me now.

This thread is making me feel good about my 64 years.

Go as hard as you can for as long as you can, and spit in the grim reaper's eye on the way out.

I'm 60 yrs. old.

Last weekend, I played in a 3 round tourney with all the youngsters as the ol' farts division was full.

Did great the first round but the lunch break didn't do my back any good. I tried to warm up for the second round but my lower back wasn't buying into the plan.

By the middle of the round, I knew I was in trouble but I kept playing. After the round, I went straight home to the jacuzzi and I felt a little better.

Later that evening, I went out with some friends and ran into an ex-girlfriend and well, things happened that REALLY didn't help the back problem. Not that I'm griping or anything (LOL).

Next morning, I had to roll off the bed and pull myself up on a chair to stand up. To say the least, I didn't make the third round. I did make it out later for the awards ceremony to help support the club.

When I was younger, I used an extreme exercise program to increase strength and endurance. Now, forget about gaining strength and endurance, I exercise just to maintain what strength I can hang on to.

As a good friend of mine is fond of quoting, "The older we get, we have to find different ways to do the same activity we did when we were younger."

One day, you young pups will find out how true that is and as the saying goes "I'd rather burn out than fade away."

Woodpecker

This thread is making me feel good about my 64 years.

Go as hard as you can for as long as you can, and spit in the grim reaper's eye on the way out.

Now this guy knows what he's talking about. :thmbup:

I have multiple problems myself and try not to let them stop me. For the first time ever I had to change my lifestyle due to an injury and it killed me (still does as I'm still recovering from the surgery). However I was out on the course the same week my doc told me I was to be on 2 more months of restrictions. I was just smart and went to a nice 150' max hole course and played an easy round. I was sore as hell for the next few days but it was worth getting back out on the course after 7+ months away from the game.

Latest posts