• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gift Advice

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine has their birthday coming up. I'd really like to get them a set of discs but I'm not sure if there is personal preference or good and bad brands etc.

Would you mind advising me of the following?

Should I buy him the disc set in the attached (I just kinda guessed quality, weights, etc - if you have advice I'll be happy to change it up) or just give him a gift voucher?

Cheers

Attachments

• discs.png
    discs.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 28
The discs you picked out are pretty solid, but I suggest you go with a gift card. We disc golf nerds can get very particular about which brands and models of discs that we throw, so if your friend is into disc golf he/she probably has preferences. If there's a brick and mortar disc golf store in your area, get a gift card for that store. Here's a store directory.

If there's no brick and mortar in your area, there are several excellent online retailers that specialize in disc golf, including but not limited to Marshall Street, Disc Golf Center, KWs, and Gotta Go Gotta Throw.

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine has their birthday coming up. I'd really like to get them a set of discs but I'm not sure if there is personal preference or good and bad brands etc.

Would you mind advising me of the following?

Should I buy him the disc set in the attached (I just kinda guessed quality, weights, etc - if you have advice I'll be happy to change it up) or just give him a gift voucher?

Cheers

As has already been mentioned, disc golfers, like any other hobbyist, have different wants/needs in discs and other gear, and the best gift is always something the recipient can use/wants. A local disc golf store will be able to help them figure that out. Giving them a gift card provides them with the best ability to meet their own needs.

The #1 question is how experienced are they and do they already have a large number of discs? Or are they maybe someone just starting out and they maybe only have a starter pack that they bought at Walmart? Depending on the answer to that question, and if you find gift cards a little impersonal, there could be other routes to go.

For instance, they may not need discs, but could potentially use some other piece of gear for disc golf. If they have, say, a favorite pro disc golfer that you know of, and they like tsotchkes, there are things like disc golf pins. It's possible they are part of local Facebook group for disc golfers in their area, and someone in that group might know the exact thing they want.

If they are just starting out, again, the local disc shop is their best friend. But, if not, it's also possible that knowing a little bit about them might allow for selecting some discs that are slightly better for beginners than the standard starter pack.