• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

girlfriend finally played game

War Eagle

Banned
been begging her for months. She loved it. I had to get stiches, but thats beside the point. I let her use a few of my disk. She shot +4. I shot -5. PS I mostly only tried on my drives. Tried to help her a lot. Here is what I am about to purchase is this a good move or bad move.
Cheetah Disc Golf, Discs, Innova DX, Standard, 145, Yellow
Gazelle Disc Golf, Discs, Innova DX, Standard, 146, White
Stingray Disc Golf, Discs, Innova DX, Standard, 150, Orange 1
Element Disc Golf, Discs, Gateway S-Series, Standard, 150, Gray

been begging her for months. She loved it. I had to get stiches, but thats beside the point. I let her use a few of my disk. She shot +4. I shot -5. PS I mostly only tried on my drives. Tried to help her a lot. Here is what I am about to purchase is this a good move or bad move.

Thats great. Its nice when you play together. My wife will walk the course with me, but I can't get her to play.

I don't know if I agree with the colors :p

Gratz on getting your girl to play too bad about the stiches, but then again chicks dig scars

I'd forgo the Stingray and get her a putter instead, something in the 165-170 range, as I don't see much need for 150 class putters. Other than that cool.

already purchased a putter. I have some spare ones that I don't use that would be good for her. I already purchased the items anyway.

Good luck, my girl has played alot in the past and has walked with me in tourneys for years. I hope yours styas with it. Mine has game but just doesnt play anymore after I got her a bag and lots of plastic. Oh well. Hats off to you

I agree, stay away from all the 150 discs unless you live somewhere where there is no wind at all. If you are worried that weight is to much for her go for higher 167's and higher. It will be easier to get used to heavier discs with time, but not if she starts at 150. That might be alot to overcome easily.

I for one think the stingray is a good choice, depending on how strong she is. If she is not that strong, it's a disc many new people can throw fairly straight.

I also agree with getting her a putter and I would make sure it is 174/175 weight. Heavy putters just work better for most people; even for my 11 year old does well with them.

I agree, stay away from all the 150 discs unless you live somewhere where there is no wind at all. If you are worried that weight is to much for her go for higher 167's and higher. It will be easier to get used to heavier discs with time, but not if she starts at 150. That might be alot to overcome easily.

I for one think the stingray is a good choice, depending on how strong she is. If she is not that strong, it's a disc many new people can throw fairly straight.

I also agree with getting her a putter and I would make sure it is 174/175 weight. Heavy putters just work better for most people; even for my 11 year old does well with them.

We get wind literally almost never. She only weighs like 120. She through my 148 chetah great untill it got lost on hole 11.

My old lady has a Champ 150 Teebird tht goes further then anything she has...so I stongly disagree with 150class. Just get something Champion. I have a Champion Roc that I have in my bag and have let her throw that before and same thing! What Im saying is 150 Champion plastic is sweet even in the wind, Dont knock it till you try it. Putters, yes stay heavy.

I think you made some great choices on the disc for her. Having them all 150 class isn't really needed. The Stingray at about 164-169 would be fine (a putter in those weights would be great as well). The other choices are perfect. The reason I say the Sting can be heavier, some of the light 1s get flippy

I've gotten several 150-class discs for my GF, and the disc she throws best is still a 168g DX Roc that is beat in (from 1997)... Putters in the mid/high-160s are probably best.

Cheetah and Gazelle are very similar. As are the Stingray and Element in those weights. I'd also seriously consider the DX Leopard -- probably a better overall disc than the cheetah. But I think you are right in avoiding higher-power-requirement discs. Everything you've mentioned will go decently well for her. Hope she gets hooked.

My wife plays and she is about the same weight. She goes with a 170 Sabre E, a 171 Assassin S, a 172 Cheetah DX, and a 172 Pro-D Challenger putter. She only wants to play for fun, but she does seem to have fun. Throws the hell out the Assassin, straight as an arrow. Took mine away from me. Lower weights seem to wobble for her. 168-172 seems to work.

We get wind literally almost never. She only weighs like 120. She through my 148 chetah great untill it got lost on hole 11.

Thats funny my brother lost my 176 cheetah in the river this weekend. he came out here from califirnia and ndecided ti give it a whirl and did great untill that point. But he got me a star wriath to make up for it.

My wife plays just as much as I do now. She throws a 160g Valk and loves it. She also has a 160g Roadrunner that she just recently started using.

My wife started about 3 months ago with just a leopard and an aviar. She now has a bag full of plastic (although she prefers the 150 class) and out throws me occasionally. I just can't get her to the heavier stuff. Good luck on getting your SO hooked.

I started with discs in the 160-170 range and couldn't get them past, like, 120'. Hubby then picked up some 150s for me and I'm now throwing 150-180' consistently (without a run-up), and up to 200' with a run-up. Even on windy days I stay with the 150 class but just go more overstable (Destroyer/Flick). I have a 169 Star Destroyer but I still can't get it to go farther than my 150 DX even in a strong headwind. For tailwinds I throw a 158 Monarch.

Just sayin....

My gf played on our 2nd date. She is getting better but you know how women are.....I can't tell her ****!! We bought her a set a cple of months ago and she's hooked. You must take her to the disc golf store nearest to you and let her pick out what she wants with a little guidance from you.

The discs my girl picked out, i advised her on the ones that would fly the best for her:

123g gateway ultralite. She was throwin it well at first, then it landed on dog ****. Now she won't even touch it!
151g stingray. This is her goto disc.
167g breeze. she can drive the farthest with this.
150g valkyrie. she can't quite throw it yet but she loves this disc.
167g buzzz. she uses this second most.

I gave her a starter set with some other mids and putters. She has grown an apreciation for the game and is happy to go every week or two. I'm glad you and your woman get to play together, it's important to share your hobbies.

Good luck bro.

You go Volk!! I love seeing women get into the sport. Keep it up. I got your post on my "Flip City" thread. My Gf and I will be at Flip May 3, if you and your hubby have the time it would be great to play a round. I'll send you a friend request.