• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice on bag makeup

Feel like this depends on the mold and also your proximity to a used disc shop. If you pick common molds(rocs, buzzz, firebird, teebird, Eagle,etc) you can usually find a nice seasoned one at a play it again sports or something similar

My play it again never has any used stuff, and if they do it's not generally rocs or eagles, which is what I like to cycle. I have backups, but I lost my PERFECT flippy Roc and haven't gotten another to do the same things yet, but a Svea I just got is really damn close to that Roc in flight. I also lucked into a stash of nicely beat in 11x eagle Ls a while ago, so I'm good on those, but when those run out I'll probably seek another option.

My play it again never has any used stuff, and if they do it's not generally rocs or eagles, which is what I like to cycle. I have backups, but I lost my PERFECT flippy Roc and haven't gotten another to do the same things yet, but a Svea I just got is really damn close to that Roc in flight. I also lucked into a stash of nicely beat in 11x eagle Ls a while ago, so I'm good on those, but when those run out I'll probably seek another option.
Interesting...maybe I'm lucky and have an awesome piag...every time I go I find a perfectly beat roc and a couple of seasoned dx eagles. Store is in north Austin though and disc golf has just blown up recently, tons of new players. So it makes sense that they a trading in their roc that's "too flippy" for a zone of something

Interesting...maybe I'm lucky and have an awesome piag...every time I go I find a perfectly beat roc and a couple of seasoned dx eagles. Store is in north Austin though and disc golf has just blown up recently, tons of new players. So it makes sense that they a trading in their roc that's "too flippy" for a zone of something

I'm in Houston, and the only Play It Again Sports are a decent ways outside the city. There is also apparently one really nice disc golf shop, but that's also way North. My approach thus far has been scouring Ebay for used discs, but that can be a little hit or miss.

I like cycling, but it's a bitch if you lose your beat turnover disc. I'm moving away from it personally to some extent.

As to making sure lines are covered, you may hear that developing a forehand can cover your turnover shots, and that's partially true. I do firmly believe in developing a strong forehand game, but it's partly because a forehand turnover is a different line than a backhand with an overstable disc, and sometimes that's the play.

You're right that I should develop a forehand, but it just feels so unnatural for me, especially since I play disc golf lefty but am naturally right-handed and played baseball that way. I have a lot of experience with lefty forehands in ultimate frisbee, but it's a fairly different motion (much more about wrist than with disc golf). Which types of discs do you recommend as easiest to learn forehands? Understable or overstable? Deep or shallow rim?

You're right that I should develop a forehand, but it just feels so unnatural for me, especially since I play disc golf lefty but am naturally right-handed and played baseball that way. I have a lot of experience with lefty forehands in ultimate frisbee, but it's a fairly different motion (much more about wrist than with disc golf). Which types of discs do you recommend as easiest to learn forehands? Understable or overstable? Deep or shallow rim?

I struggled with rolling over my wrist pretty bad for a while, then started practicing with a neutral putter (classic aviar) and a hula hoop out in the yard. Put the hula hoop out and just tried throwing hyzers into it like a target. Once I could put 10 right at the hula hoop from about 100' then I moved back and kept doing it. Then an understable/neutral mid, then drivers.

At the practice basket of my local course there is a couple rows of trees that make a pretty good tunnel about 100' long and 15' wide. I started just trying to lace the tunnel with understable discs before every round for 10 minutes or so, and that helped quite a bit with wrist motion and clean releases. Got to where I can hyzer flip a pretty understable putter right down the middle, then mids, then drivers.

You could take that mako and just try throwing spike hyzers with it, then try throwing straight to fade, then hyzerflip in a similar manner. Smooth, easy throws, with a clean motion feel like a lot less power than what they are.

I struggled with rolling over my wrist pretty bad for a while, then started practicing with a neutral putter (classic aviar) and a hula hoop out in the yard. Put the hula hoop out and just tried throwing hyzers into it like a target. Once I could put 10 right at the hula hoop from about 100' then I moved back and kept doing it. Then an understable/neutral mid, then drivers.

At the practice basket of my local course there is a couple rows of trees that make a pretty good tunnel about 100' long and 15' wide. I started just trying to lace the tunnel with understable discs before every round for 10 minutes or so, and that helped quite a bit with wrist motion and clean releases. Got to where I can hyzer flip a pretty understable putter right down the middle, then mids, then drivers.

You could take that mako and just try throwing spike hyzers with it, then try throwing straight to fade, then hyzerflip in a similar manner. Smooth, easy throws, with a clean motion feel like a lot less power than what they are.

This is great advice. Also, having this shot in the bag when you are scrambling is so nice. The step out forehand flick and a forehand roller have bailed me out of so many shanks into the woods.

This sounds like a great idea. I think I'll do what you said and start with a neutral putter (Aviar) and mid-range (Mako3) and start with shorter distances to focus on form before trying to add power.

I tried out my 172g Star Shryke vs. 175g Star Wraith yesterday, and they flew almost identically in terms of stability (both are slightly beat-in, but not a ton). I would throw them on a very slight anhyzer and they would turn end up flat for most of the flight, then finish hyzer. On almost every hole that I threw both, they were in a straight line, but the Wraith was consistently 15-30 feet longer despite being a speed 11 compared to 13. I'm guessing this is maybe due to the Shryke being very flat and the Wraith slightly domey to give more glide. I don't think it's lack of arm speed, but perhaps it is. Either way, I'll be keeping the Wraith in the bag and saving the Shryke for possibly the future.

This weekend, I'll be comparing a Big Z Undertaker vs. Titanium Swirl Stalker (Paige Pierce 2020 Ledgestone edition), and also to the Star TL that I'm going to be getting rid of.

Well... I ended up losing the Star Mako3, so that makes my decision easier to move the Shark into the neutral slot. I found the Big Z Undertaker and Ti Stalker were about the same, so I just kept the Undertaker for now.

My (single digit discs) bag now looks like:

Drivers (Distance & Fairway):
1. Innova Star Wraith 175g (slightly domey - straight, max distance about 375, trying to work my way up to 400+)
2. Discraft Big Z Undertaker 175g (straight, more controlled)
3. Innova DX Beast 169g (very beat-in, utility disc for turnover shots & rollers)

Mid-Ranges:
4. Innova Champion Roc3 180g (overstable)
5. Innova Star Shark 179g (straight/neutral)
6. Discraft Archer 175g (understable)

Putters:
7. Innova Champion Aviar 173g (old, gummy, straight/understable for approaches and putting)
8. Discraft Z Zone 174g (overstable for approaches and wind)

Adding soon:
9. Innova Tour Series Aviar 175g (likely putting only)

Now I just really need to work on my technique and skills, mainly improving max distance, anhyzer turnover shots, and putting outside of 25-30 feet

Well, then... so much for keeping it under 10 discs... I ended up purchasing and testing up to 25 discs at once before trimming down to a solid 14 or so that I'm comfortable with. I think this is a good number for me moving forward. Guess I'll have to sell the rest now.

Any advice/feedback would be much appreciated.

Distance Drivers:
1. Star Wraith (KC 12x, a bit domey): main neutral/stable
2. DX Wraith (slightly lighter, 170g): understable. More distance with hyzer flips, but less controlled
3. Champion Wraith: flatter, slightly overstable

Fairway Drivers:
4. Big Z Undertaker: slightly overstable (expected this to be more neutral, but actually a bit overstable)
5. Ti Mantis (Ace Race 2013 Proto): almost dead straight, very little turn or fade (Ace Race proto was more neutral than understable production Mantis)

Mid-Ranges:
6. Champion Roc3: slightly overstable, not much more than Shark but handles headwinds better
7. Star Shark (PFN): neutral/straight
8. MJ Tour Series Z Comet: slightly understable, flat release for small controlled turnover
9. Z Archer: very understable, hyzer flip to turnover (basically a reverse flex), low-power flat turnovers

Putters:
10. Rubber Blend Luna (2x): only putting
11. Z Zone: utility/scrambling, very overstable mid-range flex shots
12. Neutron Envy: slightly overstable, approaches and mashing when don't feel like throwing mid-ranges
13. Neutron Anode: neutral/slightly understable for turnovers or straight low-power approaches. Sometimes long-range putts (over 40 ft) so won't hyzer out as much as the Luna. Rounded inner rim feels a bit weird, considering switching out for Neutron Proxy.

Incoming/Testing:
Big Z Zombee (neutral low speed fairway for easy distance, almost like a longer mid-range)

Well... I ended up losing the Star Mako3, so that makes my decision easier to move the Shark into the neutral slot. I found the Big Z Undertaker and Ti Stalker were about the same, so I just kept the Undertaker for now.

My (single digit discs) bag now looks like:

Drivers (Distance & Fairway):
1. Innova Star Wraith 175g (slightly domey - straight, max distance about 375, trying to work my way up to 400+)
2. Discraft Big Z Undertaker 175g (straight, more controlled)
3. Innova DX Beast 169g (very beat-in, utility disc for turnover shots & rollers)

Mid-Ranges:
4. Innova Champion Roc3 180g (overstable)
5. Innova Star Shark 179g (straight/neutral)
6. Discraft Archer 175g (understable)

Putters:
7. Innova Champion Aviar 173g (old, gummy, straight/understable for approaches and putting)
8. Discraft Z Zone 174g (overstable for approaches and wind)

Adding soon:
9. Innova Tour Series Aviar 175g (likely putting only)

Now I just really need to work on my technique and skills, mainly improving max distance, anhyzer turnover shots, and putting outside of 25-30 feet

Just curious - what is your percentage inside 25-30 feet?

Just curious - what is your percentage inside 25-30 feet?

I haven't formally tracked it, but there is definitely a lot of room for improvement. I think at that time, I had been really confident inside 25 feet but super frustrated because I didn't have proper technique to get enough power on longer putts. I legit had 0% make percentage outside of circle 1 for like a solid 10 rounds.

I've since improved my form, which is encouraging since I at least have a chance of making putts in the 30-50 foot range now.

My 15-25 foot percentage has been worse recently, so that's been my main focus now.

I haven't formally tracked it, but there is definitely a lot of room for improvement. I think at that time, I had been really confident inside 25 feet but super frustrated because I didn't have proper technique to get enough power on longer putts. I legit had 0% make percentage outside of circle 1 for like a solid 10 rounds.

I've since improved my form, which is encouraging since I at least have a chance of making putts in the 30-50 foot range now.

My 15-25 foot percentage has been worse recently, so that's been my main focus now.

Nice, good call on the 15-25 focus. I was just curious because a lot of new players spend way too much time working on 40-50 foot putts. I'd recommend looking up the Mark Ellis putting confidence clinic. It's all about building confidence in that 3-6 meter range. I putt for about 15 minutes every single night, just starting about 10 feet from the basket and working my way back to 20, then back in. Nothing has lowered my scores more than getting really good at 10-20 foot putts. I can't tell you how many times I've beaten players that can throw 100 feet further than me just because I don't miss circle 1 putts and they do.

TL, DR - Circle 2 putting percentage is probably the least important stat when trying to lower scores as an AM. C1 % and driving accuracy are far more important

Nice, good call on the 15-25 focus. I was just curious because a lot of new players spend way too much time working on 40-50 foot putts. I'd recommend looking up the Mark Ellis putting confidence clinic. It's all about building confidence in that 3-6 meter range. I putt for about 15 minutes every single night, just starting about 10 feet from the basket and working my way back to 20, then back in. Nothing has lowered my scores more than getting really good at 10-20 foot putts. I can't tell you how many times I've beaten players that can throw 100 feet further than me just because I don't miss circle 1 putts and they do.

TL, DR - Circle 2 putting percentage is probably the least important stat when trying to lower scores as an AM. C1 % and driving accuracy are far more important

I think I initially just had some beginner's luck where I felt like I never missed inside of 20 feet. It's since normalized, and I've even missed some 12 footers.

Just from a mental standpoint, it was so demoralizing before to know I had 0% chance of making a putt outside Circle 1. At least now I know I have some chance and can give it a decent run, but that makes sense to focus primarily on inside Circle 1. Additionally, I previously never seemed to park shots, so I just get making pars after missing 30-35 footers. Again, super frustrating.

I know driving distance and C2 putting are not as important as the fundamentals, but they are the two areas holding me back from putting up really low scores. My approaches under 200 feet and driving accuracy (assuming not a super tight tunnel) are probably the strongest part of my game, but that's almost for sure due to my 10 years of Ultimate experience, not my 3 months of disc golf experience. It also leads to some really boring golf though. I basically only ever score between -3 and +1 on my local courses, whereas other people I know will range from -8 to +5. Also, if I get to a course where the par 3s are consistently over 350 feet (my max drives go about 350-375), my birdies go way down, and I just end up making only pars and bogeys (when I make inevitably make some errors)

Not to mention that the best way to start making 40-45 footers is to be confident making 20-25 footers.

I think I initially just had some beginner's luck where I felt like I never missed inside of 20 feet. It's since normalized, and I've even missed some 12 footers.

Just from a mental standpoint, it was so demoralizing before to know I had 0% chance of making a putt outside Circle 1. At least now I know I have some chance and can give it a decent run, but that makes sense to focus primarily on inside Circle 1. Additionally, I previously never seemed to park shots, so I just get making pars after missing 30-35 footers. Again, super frustrating.

I know driving distance and C2 putting are not as important as the fundamentals, but they are the two areas holding me back from putting up really low scores. My approaches under 200 feet and driving accuracy (assuming not a super tight tunnel) are probably the strongest part of my game, but that's almost for sure due to my 10 years of Ultimate experience, not my 3 months of disc golf experience. It also leads to some really boring golf though. I basically only ever score between -3 and +1 on my local courses, whereas other people I know will range from -8 to +5. Also, if I get to a course where the par 3s are consistently over 350 feet (my max drives go about 350-375), my birdies go way down, and I just end up making only pars and bogeys (when I make inevitably make some errors)

Yep, the mental game of golf is super cool. Golf is not a perfect game is worth a read.

Also, if your looking for an example of a really solid bag...take a look at the user ODBR in the bag.

Yep, the mental game of golf is super cool. Golf is not a perfect game is worth a read.

Also, if your looking for an example of a really solid bag...take a look at the user ODBR in the bag.

Haha yeah, I've actually read a bunch of Bob Rotella's books since I used to play (regular) golf competitively.

Looks like he sticks to just a limited number of molds for consistency and cycles them? I would do that, but trying to avoid having to spent more money on discs. I do like having 3 different Wraiths for my distance drivers. That at least keeps some familiarity among the discs that are hardest to throw.

Latest posts