• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good DG Shoes

my merrells are on their second full winter and i wear them for more then golfing... i did get the higher end ones with the vibram sole and the gore-tex... i know people have had issues with them but i cant speak highly enough about em...

on my second pair of gore tex moabs. theyve been great for me (though socal conditions and courses are hardly a rugged test). i do wear through their insoles in about a month on my pivot toe though.:\

me merrils fell apart after 2 1/2 months, and they were the top end goretex ones

using Garmont now....

I would love to find a pair of shoes that will actually put up with the twisting stress DG puts on them.....they all seem to fall apart

I went from merrils (2-3 months) to garmonts (3-4 months) to vasque (started in March, only switched to boots b/c of snow & ice last week). http://www.rei.com/product/757633

I will use the vasques again in the spring, hopefully they will make it through another year of disc golf.

I went from merrils (2-3 months) to garmonts (3-4 months) to vasque (started in March, only switched to boots b/c of snow & ice last week). http://www.rei.com/product/757633

I will use the vasques again in the spring, hopefully they will make it through another year of disc golf.

I may go back to Vasque if the Garmonts fail......thankfully MEC has a crazy return policy

I just got a pair of Hi-tek hiking shoes from Sports authority. Can't complain, still going strong after 2 seasons. $30, and I play almost every day.
I had a pair of those. They did last a long time but they were kinda heavy! I liked them for the hiking parts of our local mountain course (Richmond Hill) but they were too heavy & clumsy for the disc golf X-step, etc. I started looking for lighter weight shoes soon after & have not gone back.

Inexpensive New Balance tennis shoes work best for me.

New Balance for wide feet. Tennis shoes for a good pivot (I hate how nubby shoes grab and transmit torque to my knee). Inexpensive or on sale because throwing forehand tears up the toes long before anything else wears out.

Just invested in some Merrill Moab Gore-Texs for winter discing. I used to just wear heavy snow boots or suffer in my tennis shoes, but I finally decided dry, warm feet were well worth shelling out a few clams. Just got them today, will test this weekend.

I really need to find winter shoes I can disc in. This will by my first winter trying to disc and I've got nothing to wear period. I dont even own snow boots.

I don't think i'll go out if we get more than 6 inches down at one time though.

I've literally wore out a pair of Merrells by hiking and can't say enough about them. As long as I own boots, I'll have Merrells. Interested in a pair of low-tops for the summer, because my full boots are just too much.

Oddly enough, I've been playing in mid-top Air Force 1's. I feel like basketball shoes are great because they are meant to be athletic with movement, but can really take a beating.

Have used my Merrill Moab lows, non-Goretex, for over a year for everything, and I did have to recently have the left shoe sole reglued. RHBH shoe drag. Hope they last a while longer because I like the shoes. I did order a second pair, same size, and the new shoes have a straighter toe edge. My old ones are more pointed and thus more comfortable. So, I'm saying I won't order any more. I'll only buy them where I can try them on at Dick's or elsewhere.

I have very mixed feelings for my Merrill Moab Ventilators. Overall, they have been comfy shoes and all, but the durability just wasn't what I was expecting. I picked them up this summer and will be surprised if they make it through the full winter season. The Vibram soles got owned by concrete teepads and I am a partial toe-dragger which is showing on the left shoe. Still good shoes, just not as much of a difference over the Saucony running shoes I was using before. I am now hoping to get one year out of a pair of shoes I paid over $80 for. :(

Shoes with high sidewalls and good lateral support like tennis shoes (actual shoes made to play tennis in) or certain skate shoes are good. I'm using some Adidas skate-style shoes with high sidewalls at the moment. I've thrashed a couple pairs of Etnies and would not recommend them. Running shoes are probably the worst though.

I am also using a pair of Adidas skate shoes. They were originally just an old pair of sneakers that I didn't mind destroying so I started using them for disc golf. They have started to wear through after about 1.5 years of regular use and 1.5 years of use on the course, so I do need a new pair. They are terrible for traction in wet conditions, but I can easily hike a rugged trail in them if it is dry.

I had considered getting nubbier shoes to help with climbing on rough, muddy courses, but the sentiment expressed in this thread has convinced me to stick to skaters. I'm just gonna buy a new pair and cycle my current everyday skaters to my new DG shoes.

Last edited:
I had considered getting nubbier shoes to help with climbing on rough, muddy courses, but the sentiment expressed in this thread has convinced me to stick to skaters. I'm just gonna buy a new pair and cycle my current everyday skaters to my new DG shoes.

This is the way I will probably go in the future. I might pickup a cheaper pair of hiking shoes for use on wet days, but I need something considerably more durable for everyday golf.

I've heard good things about the new balance hiking boots. I hope you can remember to update us again after the winter season to see if they really stood up to the test of time.

I'm well into year 2 with my first pair of NB 1201s -- liked 'em well enough I bought a second pair when NB put 'em on clearance on their web store, so that I'd have 'em when I needed 'em. The original pair is still in great shape; granted I don't play every day, but from March to October this year I always played at least once a week, and for a lot of the year more often than that. Love the support, love the way they just sneer at rocks and roots and loose acorns and all the other stuff out there on my home course. I've had 'em in water up to the tops several times without a drop getting inside, and played 5 hours in driving wind, rain, and cold last November after which the only dry part of my body was my feet. And they're not much heavier than a typical tennis shoe; I expected my feet to get too hot in them in the summer time, but that's never been a problem. Best $100 (well, $200, now that I have a second pair) I've spent in a long time.

Understand Trail Shield

The #1 defense to concrete wear&tear

read about TRAIL SHIELD by Montrail

"The Mountain Masochist Trail Running Shoe by Montrail is a rugged, durable, running shoe made for the gnarliest trails you can run on. Focusing on traction as its main component, the Mountain Masochist can keep you upright in mud, loose rock or sandy steep hills. Constructed with a Gryptonite outsole and multi directional lugs you can grab onto anything when navigating tough terrain.The actual shoe is a dream to run in, with its Trail Shield protection that keeps rocks and roots from bruising the bottoms of your feet and its Vapor Response EVA that gives you immediate response on your rebound - reducing shock. A gusseted tongue construction keeps out dirt and moisture reducing any irritation that might form, and a light and breathable hydrophobic mesh upper keeps your feet cool".

Yeah, expensive, but worth every penny.:thmbup:

I rock the low cut/minimalist when it comes to shoes.. I love to play in my keen newports during warm weather because they are breathable and light on the feet.

In the wet winter months, I have been playing in some waterproof slipon tevas - but have worn those out... I am considering the Keen Targhee IIs, any experience with those shoes folks??

Re: Keen mid Targhee II's, I used them on my last rounds and the boots are super comfy, decent support and you can walk all day in them. They also keep your feet warm and dry. The only issue I have is that they are a little slippery on rubber tee-pads, I prefer my Keen Shellrock Wp for the slicker pads. I too, am a huge fan of the Keen return policy. I have had 2 shoes start to fail and was given full retail price credit for new shoes from their website. That is how I moved up to the Taghee's. With my lastest credit I bought a pair of Oregon PCT, I should have them around Christmas time. I am hoping that they will wear longer and be more suitable for hiking. I don't think I'll play disc in the Oregon's unless it involves a lot of climbing, maybe a ski resort disc course or two.

I generally wear adidas but have been on the search for the best dg shoe. Something low cut (long socks and high tops with shorts always looked goofy to me) but most importantly, waterproof. I wake up quite early to play rounds and the morning dew ruins my round because all I can focus on is "I wish I had dry feet!"

I'll be testing these out. Just got them today. Columbia Hiking and they look semi waterproof. The "no-lace" zipper to cover up the laces sold me and the fact that they ride below the ankle.

F10_BM1423_225_f

Latest posts