• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good overstable putter

dyepb_16

I'm looking for an overstable putter to throw off the tee. Right now if I throw a putter off the tee it's either my pro-d magnet or my crosshair and both are way to floppy. So what have you guys found to be some nice overstable putters for driving. If it helps at all I usually throw a nuke off the tee pad for any kind of normal drive.

I've read a lot of people hand pick discs and look for a less domey disks when they want more overstable, but I don't know what would be more or less domey for each disk. Thanks for any input I've only been playing for a few months so I'm still learning a bunch.

Super overstable - Zone
Overstable - Banger GT, Rhyno, VP, Wizard
Slightly overstable - Ridge

Those are the ones I'm more familiar with, at least. There are a whooooole lot more.

I throw a CryZtal Challenger off of the tee. It will go 300 on pretty much any line I want as long as I throw it properly. I love the amazing consistent flight that it provides. Definitely one of the most consistent discs I have ever thrown. The one I throw has a little bit of a shoulder to it, but then is super flat on top.

From most to least stable, my putters (I drive with all of them) are:
ESP Zone
Pro-D Zone
SP Reef
D Reef
Soft APX

Esp is crazy stable, D Zone is stable with a strong finish. SP Reef is stable with a straight finish, D Reef and Soft APX are a tick understable.

KC Pro Aviar and DX Big Bead Aviars can be fairly overstable when new.

I throw those, along with an esp Zone which is crazy overstable. I hesitate to call the Zone a putter as it feels faster because of how stable it is; it will go straight for a bit if you power up, but always fades hard.

Wizard, Challenger, or Avair.
Choices of champs and many, many others for a reason.
Base plastic will do just fine. If it gets really beat it would likey only help your putting.

First of all, being new I applaud you wanting to throw putters off the tee. It will be a little frustrating at first distance wise but you will learn alot and get more out of your other shots.
Putters I throw off the tee (or have) in order of overstable to less stable

Zone
Stiffer Wizards
Westside Swan

I put the aviars away in the winter and use a Sinus AP ... it's crazy overstable. slow, but really overstable.

I assume if you want a putter to throw off the tee you want one that will fly on more lines than a hyzer shot, which takes discs like the Zone/Pig/Rhyno/VP off the table. IMO those are specialty discs for wind, predictable hyzers, utility/trick approaches and FH throws...Useful, but still not what I would consider true putters.

I was on the quest for the ultimate driving putter for years until MVP came on the scene. Their putters are the best for driving that our young sport has ever seen, and I've thrown just about everything. They fly on similar lines as other true putters but glide farther and are more wind resistant. The Ion is your best bet for overstability. With decent form they will not turn over, yet will still hold your angle of release and glide without stalling a fading hard. The plastic is durable as anything out there, which is important if you want your putter to keep it's stability (which is important with a driving putter).

I assume if you want a putter to throw off the tee you want one that will fly on more lines than a hyzer shot, which takes discs like the Zone/Pig/Rhyno/VP off the table. IMO those are specialty discs for wind, predictable hyzers, utility/trick approaches and FH throws...Useful, but still not what I would consider true putters.

I was on the quest for the ultimate driving putter for years until MVP came on the scene. Their putters are the best for driving that our young sport has ever seen, and I've thrown just about everything. They fly on similar lines as other true putters but glide farther and are more wind resistant. The Ion is your best bet for overstability. With decent form they will not turn over, yet will still hold your angle of release and glide without stalling a fading hard. The plastic is durable as anything out there, which is important if you want your putter to keep it's stability (which is important with a driving putter).

I agree with all he said except I can also shape lines with a VP.

For overstable driving putter: Ion or VP. Both will perform great. The Ion will last a long time and the VP will pretty much last forever.

As correct as you are, I feel like a stake was just driven through my love of Rhynos. And I assume MVP > those putters listed b/c they have less glide and more fade than the more versatile MVP options in your opinion?

OP : Do you really want an overstable putter (something that will fade hard at the end of it's flight) or just a putter that you can drive at full power (with proper form, not perfect, but decent) ? It's two very different thing to me and reading what you said in your first post, I tend to believe you are looking at a good driving putter.
If it is indeed the case, I think you would really love a soft or medium Wizard. The gateway Wizard is an amazing disc off the tee. I'm by no mean a pro or a long distance thrower and I can throw my Wizard 250 off the tee on a straight line with a nice and little predictable fade at the end.

For what it gives you, the Wizard has an amazing price/performance ratio. Just get a few x-outs in different firmness at Marshall Street Disc Golf and enjoy.

I agree with all he said except I can also shape lines with a VP.

For overstable driving putter: Ion or VP. Both will perform great. The Ion will last a long time and the VP will pretty much last forever.

Yeah the choice between an Ion and VP/Ridge comes down to two different approach philosophies. One says that you want a putter with the least glide possible so you can always throw it kind of hard and it won't float past the basket. This philosophy allows for predictability and is the more conservative of the two, but it allows for less precision. The other philosophy states that you want a putter with good glide so that you can finesse it to the basket without having to throw it as hard, allowing more precision but requiring more skill/concentration by thrower to avoid blowing by and risking a 3 putt.

FWIW I kind of ascribed to the first philosophy during the learning years of my playing career and have slowly moved closer to the second philosophy as I developed more touch/finesse.

I throw both a g9i Wizard (one of Gateway's unique medium blends)and the champ rhyno off the tee. The g9i wizard is just balls straight for me with an itty bitty fade at the end. The champ rhyno likes to be thrown with more snap to keep that straight line and fades hard at the end. The rhyno has like zero glide, though. You almost have to muscle it on a low line to get the same distance as the wizard. Both of these discs are super durable, but the champ rhyno will last forever. I would highly recommend both discs.

I would ask about your Magnet first. Is it too floppy or flippy? If it's flippy, is it because of its state of wear or because of your form? Magnets, when thrown well, will fly very straight and very far with little effort.

As a general suggestion, I would mirror discspeed and say stay away from the super overstable utility putters. I would say any of these would suit you well:
Wizard
Ion
VP
Ridge
BB Aviar
Challenger
Focus
Banger GT

Any of those will suit your needs without issue. The one disc that I would recommend off the tee more than all of those is one I've just started working with. It's not as overstable as any of those, but it's been great off the tee for me...the Latitude 64 Pure. I haven't tried it in anything but TM2(EZE) plastic, but it's consistently outdriven my Wizards and Ions (haven't given Ions a real fair shake, but they weren't any longer than my Wizards).