• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good straddle putter?

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Apparently, I'm way more consistent straddle putting than traditional one foot in front of the other style. On a whim I bought a pro D banger gt b/c I thought the groove was nifty and might be a nice point and shoot disc for straddle putting. I've made some nice putts so far and I'm gonna stick with it for a while but I was wondering if any of yall had putter preferences for straddle putting?

I love my Wizard for straddle putting. It has dents in the top from being beat in. my thumb fits perfect in the dents. Not to be cocky but people say I'm a great putter, from about 50 feet and in I am about 85% make percent. My driving needs work though. I experement too much with to many drivers. Thats why me and my partner are always close to the top in our doubles league he is a great driver and I'm a good putter.

from about 50 feet and in I am about 85% make percent.

I'm skeptical; you would be one of the best players in the world unless you literally could not drive at all and had to basically putt off the tee-pad. If you are that good congratulations, that is amazing.

As for the original posters question, I use my regular putter for straddle putts, an Aviar-X, and I only straddle if I am forced to because of an obstacle. But, seeing as how you are looking for a change and something specifically for straddle putts I would think the best choice would be something super straight like an Aviar Putt and Approach or XD since straddle putts typically don't have quite the power behind them that staggered stance putts do.

I'm almost the same way....prefer NOT to straddle putt, but sometimes have to because of positioning. But, looking back, I seem to make most of them. Maybe because of the stance being "ackward", I tend to focus better on the form, and release. As far as changing putters, no, I tend to stay with what I always throw, unless the wind is howling.

Barry shultz is probably the best straddle putter in the tour and I believe he uses aviar's as well...when I straddle I use my aviar...straightest thing I have that I can put enough flick on that will stay straight..

You stopped playing with your voodoo??? Wow, I thought i'd never see the day. One of my friends straddle putts all the time like your saying, and he loves some magnets. I would think it would differ person to person though. Did you try using your voodoo while straddling?

I dont really think what putter matters. If it feels right to you, learn its line and use that.

Unless of course it is a Banger-GT Soft X; then its gauranteed win. :)

I like my XD for straddle putting. Even though I don't usually straddle putt, it is absolutely necessary to learn how. Learning how to effectively straddle putt has saved me countless strokes where the traditional putting stance would have been impossible or a really bad choice

I've been wanting to try the Banger GT, but haven't gotten one yet.
I generally straddle putt, and my faves, in order are
Pro Pig
SSS Warlock
R-Pro Aviar
Glow Magic

I just love that little piggie!! I may stock up on a few of them while I can still get this plastic...

yup i use my XD for all putts, even though i have a aviar p&a in the bag i just don't prefer to use it. eventually i want to pick up a gateway ss wizard.

Barry shultz is probably the best straddle putter in the tour and I believe he uses aviar's as well...when I straddle I use my aviar...straightest thing I have that I can put enough flick on that will stay straight..

Barry doesn't have anything on me! lol

I don't straddle much now but when Barry came to TX a few years back I schooled him in straddle putting every round we played event though he got me by a few in the end. PLus he misses lots of shorties.

I tend to straddle putt as much as I possibily can and have experimented with many putters. The most recent putter that I picked up is a Dart and that thing has been my favorite so far. Just as other have said the aviar works well too; but I am making at least 30% more putts with the Dart, it has a nice rim that allows a smooth release and not being able to put much power behind a straddle putt it has great glide as well.

I usually vacillate between a Wizard and a Discraft Putt'r for straddle putts. I like the latter for shorter putts.

You stopped playing with your voodoo??? Wow, I thought i'd never see the day. One of my friends straddle putts all the time like your saying, and he loves some magnets. I would think it would differ person to person though. Did you try using your voodoo while straddling?

Firstly, it's Warlocks, not Voodoos. I haven't really noticed much more success b/w my SS Warlock or the Banger GT yet so Ol' Warlock is still very much in effect. Secondly, I think God has been telling me to straddle putt by smiting my disc to lie behind any obstacle possibly b/w it and the basket. It's fate.

Although no putting conversation is complete without mentioning the greatest, most consistent putter of all time...all hail the Polecat!

Latest posts