• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grants for course on non profit kids camp

SteezeOG

Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi
I just got home from a meeting I had with the director of a camp just outside of Emporia KS. It's a privately owned piece of land that is open to the public and in a not for profit tax free entity. They have basically no money to put towards this course but it's gone from a pet project of mine to an obsession after today when I got the ok to get started on planning.

My vision is a nine hole course with 18 total teepads. A set that ranges in the 150-225 ft distance range so it can be used for ace races and beginners and kids who attend the camp. The longer set would be in the 225-350 ft range. Overall a short course but somewhat challenging from both because this his an heavily wooded piece of land with good elevation changes. At least in Kansas terms. It's basically something that can be unique to Emporia because we don't have a short tight tunnel hilly course. They do have nine baskets already from the previous owner but they are junk and have all plastic chains. I told him we can't use those I just won't do that. It has to be high quality used or new baskets if we're going to get donations to play and get a buzz going that this is worth the short drive out of town for local players and visiting players to the GBO and other tournaments. I just can't let this not happen the land is too good for a course and I used to go to scout day camp out there I want to give back to it somehow.

They already have over 100 utility poles we can use to edge the teepads with and 90% certain at this point we'll make wood chip tee pads. I'm going for a natural woods look but with function. I enjoy playing on wood chip tee pads over paving stones and rubber mats and a lot more than dirt. Concrete permanent pads are not an option.

Eric McCabe has expressed interest in designing it and I'm more than happy to turn that duty over to him. I would be stupid not to. His name alone will draw players and legitimize the course. I'm confident I could do a good job designing it but why even bother when a world champion who has designed courses before is offering? It's not about pride at all I just want to get this place a course.

I'm considering running a trilogy challenge now to hopefully raise some money or selling fundraiser stamped limited discs. Several fundraiser tournaments as well as just putting up my own money for 9 baskets and begging for labor help.

TL;DR

How can I find grants or any type of help in raising funds to make this happen? Does the pdga or edge program offer that? I'm going to be asking DD for a lot of help if they can and I'm going to start looking into the pdga and edge program myself but I figured I would ask here too since someone probably has experience doing this.

Your best bet is probably the local club, and fundraising events. Perhaps a local or someone can advance funds for the initial purchase. I don't know of any grants that would be available.

Grants? well, if that avenue were to be traveled, I bet it would be coming from the camp side as an established nonprofit entity. That being said, grant money is always a chancy strategy. Think you have promise, then poof it vanishes with a plot twist.

I kinda like that disc golf seems self reliant as much as it is. I've been working with forest open space/trails/mtn bike organizations on a master planning group (trying to get DG on "the plan") and it astounds me to learn how much of everything they do is based on spending someone elses money that they didn't raise themselves. The Grants this... the Grants that, we got this, but lost this...
*The Mtn bike groups do seem to do a good share of fundraising and sweatwork.

The other feeling I get from these groups is that grant aquisition is like commercial real estate. A commercial real estate wannabe likely takes many deals before they get any good or success out of it. So... those that sniff out grant money are competing in a hotly contested arena with real seasoned professionals.

But - if you know what you want for the course - that helps you set a target funds number. Great! Now start working towards it the old fashioned way, a dollar at a time, or bunches. Yupp, fundraiser events, charity funsies, whatever. You dont have to do it all in one splash, just get it moving. Get partners involved (DD) and by all means, set up a website, or an open facebook group, and maybe make one of those big fundraising thermometer things where people see where you are in relation to the goal and bring it with you to every disc golf event you go to. Set up a card table, a foam core display board and ask. You might get there sooner than you think. *They might start giving you money to make you stop bringing the table and display to all the events!

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses so far. The grants was a long shot but they will try hopefully through their other programs and the government to maybe get something. We're basically going to hopefully have a table we can set up at the block party this year at the GBO if that is allowed and ask for donations from players. I know that's unlikely to raise much but if everyone who is buying beer can drink one less and toss in a few bucks that's all I'd like to see. If they are back for the tournament this time next year hopefully there is a new course close to town they can go play while they are in town.

I'm kind of heading the local club initiative so I'll be doing a few fundraiser tournaments, maybe a trilogy challenge, and asking local businesses or clubs if they want to donate or advertise on tee signs if we go that route. The camp director wanted flashy tee signs like they have in town I was thinking wood made natural painted number only type things that are free except for labor but he does have a point. Legit tee signs with distance, maps, and a sponsor do look ok and potentially bring in money for the cost.

As far as a person to just bankroll the whole cost of baskets and other costs....well again that would be me. I'll do it if I have to but I'd prefer to raise it. My concern with spending several thousand out of pocket is that it's private land and if they go under what promise do I have that I get my baskets back? None really unless I pay my lawyer to draft up a contract. I'd rather not do that but if it's that or no course I will. I've reached out to DD we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
I would always suggest trying for grants but never to rely them. I know of a Non-Profit camp around here that received a grant that covered 9 baskets which was a great start.

Self funding a course on someone else's private land is a risky business. There has to be some real trust there plus I would really want something in writing from the land owners that says that I am the rightful owner of said baskets.

I

How can I find grants or any type of help in raising funds to make this happen? Does the pdga or edge program offer that? I'm going to be asking DD for a lot of help if they can and I'm going to start looking into the pdga and edge program myself but I figured I would ask here too since someone probably has experience doing this.

If you have one a local government center should have lots of info on the different grants available from a city, county and state level for different groups/persons from scholarships to non-profits.

Over the recent years many private companies also are "fighting childhood obesity" by giving funds towards "Get Active" projects. There is lots of free $ out there if you work to get it but basically just need a form request letter with a entity who is qualified to accept the funds and their background info as well as purpose. Provide multiple avenues for donations, grants and even sponsorship. Mail, follow up calls, then visit to the requesting grantee and hope to collect some checks!

Good Luck'

If you have one a local government center should have lots of info on the different grants available from a city, county and state level for different groups/persons from scholarships to non-profits.

Over the recent years many private companies also are "fighting childhood obesity" by giving funds towards "Get Active" projects. There is lots of free $ out there if you work to get it but basically just need a form request letter with a entity who is qualified to accept the funds and their background info as well as purpose. Provide multiple avenues for donations, grants and even sponsorship. Mail, follow up calls, then visit to the requesting grantee and hope to collect some checks!

Good Luck'

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what the city has available or how much they can help with it being private land but open to the public. I know both them and the school district will sometimes donate equipment they are no longer needing.

The director of the camp is supposed to be checking on any national grants that he might be able to qualify for with getting kids active. I sincerely hope he does that but I'm also going to ask all the clubs for help too. Like optimist, sertoma, eagles, vfw, lions, etc. There are a ton of those types of clubs in town I just don't plan on much from each if any. Every bit helps though.

Hello,
I'm a high school teacher from Texas and I'm looking for fundraising programs and ideas for our golf camp (it will be active again in spring 2021, but it's better to start fundraising beforehand). Is anyone here from the Grand Slam Golf Academy? I'm also consifering First Tee (located in St. Augustine, FL) as a supporting organization. Any experience with it?

EDGE is a good place to start - reach out to Jay Redding, they have a grant program themselves, as well as leads to related grants in your area, if anything they can get you pointed in the right direction.

Get in touch with your local Chamber of Commerce. They'll have a good handle on what's available, what's coming down the pike, what entities (both governmental and private sector) have $$$$ to support local initiatives that may not be public knowledge, and who the contact persons for those entities are.

Hello,
I'm a high school teacher from Texas and I'm looking for fundraising programs and ideas for our golf camp (it will be active again in spring 2021, but it's better to start fundraising beforehand). Is anyone here from the Grand Slam Golf Academy? I'm also consifering First Tee (located in St. Augustine, FL) as a supporting organization. Any experience with it?

I would encourage you to reach out to your local disc golf clubs. Ours helped out a local charter school, in getting a course in the ground. We had a couple fund raising tournament to help get some funding for baskets, pads and signs. Before COVID, we had intended to run a few clinics for the kids, as well.

This looks like a good place to start.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/124806320993549/

Last edited:
100 utility poles, you say? After the tee pads are in place, have some fun with the extra poles!

Attachments

• UGH hdr WL 20200905_182936.jpg
    UGH hdr WL 20200905_182936.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts