• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip B15 vs A14

walde

Birdie Member
I've never carried a ton of discs and have been using a double NutSac or a backpack with the NutSac stuffed inside if I need to carry other stuff (and sometimes extra discs) with me which is the case most of the time. While this works pretty well for the most part, I've been looking at Grip bags for a few years already. As the bags are pretty expensive I always thought I'd get one second hand, the quality of the bags seems good so I'm not too worried about wear.
I've tried an A14 and it was really comfortable to carry. I would also have everything in better order with a proper bag as opposed to the backpack + NutSac combo and I would have easier access to everything and could bag a couple of extra discs.

Now, I'm finally looking to buy one and I'm wondering about the differences between the B15 and A14 models. The amount of discs that can be fit in a C model bag might be enough for me but it's essential for me have space for storing a hoodie/light jacket so it doesn't really make the cut.
I've been trying to find some comparisons between the new B15 and A14 Grip bags but only found some bits here and there. Essentially the bags are very similar but it seems that the B15 is slightly smaller. The redesigned side compartments seem a tad smaller and the discs compartment seems a bit slimmer. Can anyone tell how big are the differences?
I'd prefer a slightly smaller disc capacity than what the A14 offers but I guess it wouldn't be a huge issue. Also, I could get an A14 for less money than the B15 but if the features of the B15 fit my preferences better I'd consider paying some extra.
If anyone has both bags, it would be cool to see a side by side comparison picture!

Thanks for any help!

The A Model holds 5 more discs and has bigger pockets. You can stuff a light jacket in the B Model. Start with a smaller bag and work up if needed. Carrying too much stuff is annoying.

Grip

I currently have a C15. I carry 14 in the main compartment. I then use the putter pocket and extra storage pocket for snacks, baseball, retriever, and jacket. C15 works for me since I don't throw many discs as I am a mold minimalist. Hope this helps.

The Ax series has expandable side pockets making it easy to stuff multiple shirts/hoodies/towels/etc,where as the B series side pockets don't expand.

Resurrection! I'm not sure if you guys are mixing up the original A-series and the current AX-series?
Some time after starting this thread I got a good deal on an A14 so that's what I got currently. However, my suspicion about the bag being a bit too big for my needs has proven to be correct. It is a really nice bag but I don't really need to haul as many discs that the bag is capable of carrying and I have found myself not using the bag very much.

I'm now considering buying a Shift, hoping it would be a better fit for my needs and a lighter bag overall.

Resurrection! I'm not sure if you guys are mixing up the original A-series and the current AX-series?
Some time after starting this thread I got a good deal on an A14 so that's what I got currently. However, my suspicion about the bag being a bit too big for my needs has proven to be correct. It is a really nice bag but I don't really need to haul as many discs that the bag is capable of carrying and I have found myself not using the bag very much.

I'm now considering buying a Shift, hoping it would be a better fit for my needs and a lighter bag overall.

Why not just buy one of the disc dividers that comes in various bags to put in the A14 and more easily carry less discs? I mean it is your money, but spend $10 on the divider and save the rest for a great pair of shoes or something.

i have the b series bag and it fits my needs perfectly, and a little more so. i have 17 in the main, 3 putters in the quiver, and 2 util.s in the valuables pocket. im a disc golfer and my valuables on the course consist of more discs ;). best bag ive owned for my needs. bag is light (compared to my old over-loaded carolina) and im never wanting for more "room/discs/chit i dont need), side pockets have towels, food, phone, smokes, gloves(right now any-who)an extra layer if needed. works for me for casual and tourney play.

I currently have a C15. I carry 14 in the main compartment. I then use the putter pocket and extra storage pocket for snacks, baseball, retriever, and jacket. C15 works for me since I don't throw many discs as I am a mold minimalist. Hope this helps.

Is there any way you can tell me how much a C15 weighs when its completely empty? Ive been looking everywhere for this info and cant find it anywhere. Please and Thank You!

Why not just buy one of the disc dividers that comes in various bags to put in the A14 and more easily carry less discs? I mean it is your money, but spend $10 on the divider and save the rest for a great pair of shoes or something.

That's a valid question. To be honest, I don't even know what kind of dividers there are and if I could find one that would fit and work well. However, I do prefer not to carry a whole lot of discs with me and for that I feel like the bag is a little too big and bulky. Sure, it has a pretty good capacity of storing other stuff in there but for the size of the bag, it's not exceptional. It is a great bag, don't get me wrong. It is very well constructed, comfortable to carry (fully loaded it gets a bit heavy, though, but that's to be expected), functional, and it looks pretty good. Just a little too big for my overall needs so that I have mostly been using it on weekends when I go play for the whole day with friends and I want extra space for some food, beverages, an extra layer and maybe some extra discs if I don't know the course well.
If I decide to get a Shift, I would obviously sell my Grip and use the money for getting a new bag. I would gladly buy it second hand but those are far and few between around here so I would most likely have to buy a new one.

I know I can be quite picky, and I was even contemplating about getting a big disc golf bag in the first place. I was, however, interested in Grip bags and once I had the chance to get one second hand for a good price, I thought I wouldn't lose much by trying it out and selling it if I didn't like it. Who knows, I might not like the Shift as much as I think I would but I might have to find out.

grip c15 weight

Is there any way you can tell me how much a C15 weighs when its completely empty? Ive been looking everywhere for this info and cant find it anywhere. Please and Thank You!

Grip fbook page messaged me back and it weighs a tad over 3lbs. hope that helps.

That's a valid question. To be honest, I don't even know what kind of dividers there are and if I could find one that would fit and work well. However, I do prefer not to carry a whole lot of discs with me and for that I feel like the bag is a little too big and bulky. Sure, it has a pretty good capacity of storing other stuff in there but for the size of the bag, it's not exceptional. It is a great bag, don't get me wrong. It is very well constructed, comfortable to carry (fully loaded it gets a bit heavy, though, but that's to be expected), functional, and it looks pretty good. Just a little too big for my overall needs so that I have mostly been using it on weekends when I go play for the whole day with friends and I want extra space for some food, beverages, an extra layer and maybe some extra discs if I don't know the course well.
If I decide to get a Shift, I would obviously sell my Grip and use the money for getting a new bag. I would gladly buy it second hand but those are far and few between around here so I would most likely have to buy a new one.

I know I can be quite picky, and I was even contemplating about getting a big disc golf bag in the first place. I was, however, interested in Grip bags and once I had the chance to get one second hand for a good price, I thought I wouldn't lose much by trying it out and selling it if I didn't like it. Who knows, I might not like the Shift as much as I think I would but I might have to find out.

Believe me, I know how you feel. I have a Zuca cart and love it, but don't always want to deal with that much when going to the course. I got a great deal on a FlakX and am happy with it for when I don't want to take the cart or courses that the cart is not practical. But I still find myself looking at other bags and thinking, I bet I would like that better.

My guess is you can flip the Grip bag for close to what you paid for it or even a little more since they seem to hold their value better than others. So if that is the case, I guess my argument on saving money is not really a valid one.

Anyway, go get that bag you want and enjoy it.

Weight differences empty are irrelevant. Like you can't notice much between my grip bag that holds 13 discs and the one that holds 16 empty. Full, big difference.

My lil grip bag is my favorite. I built a custom frame for it. It holds 12 discs with the frame.
The frame was a big one for me as the smaller grip bag has side angles because it doesn't have side bags.

A light jacket is still possible you just have to get creative on how you attach it to the bag.

Having a frame in the smaller bag i would consider necessary if your ocd. Otherwise the discs slide around too much.

As a cabinetmaker, I built a few to get this one right. My small grip bag is now perfect or dam close compared to all the other bags I have tried over the years.

Attachments

• disc bags 001.jpg
    disc bags 001.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 68
  • disc bags 002.jpg
    disc bags 002.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 58
  • disc bags 005.jpg
    disc bags 005.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 57
Weight differences empty are irrelevant. Like you can't notice much between my grip bag that holds 13 discs and the one that holds 16 empty. Full, big difference.

My lil grip bag is my favorite. I built a custom frame for it. It holds 12 discs with the frame.
The frame was a big one for me as the smaller grip bag has side angles because it doesn't have side bags.

A light jacket is still possible you just have to get creative on how you attach it to the bag.

Having a frame in the smaller bag i would consider necessary if your ocd. Otherwise the discs slide around too much.

As a cabinetmaker, I built a few to get this one right. My small grip bag is now perfect or dam close compared to all the other bags I have tried over the years.

YES! That Blue Grip C15 is exactly what i want! Or, the copper one preferably. Are they not out yet? Why cant i find them?

Also, im a cabinet guy myself. :hfive:

Last edited:

Any tips on how to find a new C15? All the sites i can find right now are on backorder or or out of options. :doh:

Latest posts