• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip EQ large bag

CE plastic doesn't fly $100 better than champ.
A $1800 paintball gun doesn't shoot $1100 better than a $700 gun
A $400 hockey stick doesn't get you any more goals than a $50 one
etc.

You're paying some extra dough to have something unique. The only difference between disc golf and every other sport that has premium options is that we're tremendously frugal by comparison...with bags...for some reason.

I'd just get a black or black/grey myself. No one's forcing anyone to buy the bag so I don't really get what you mean by "dumped on you". I'm sure the mahal's a great bag, there are a lot of great bags on the market right now which is fantastic.

If I was still in the market for a bag I'd definitely still be considering a grip. I've never seen a mahal in person and I'd love to check one out, but from the pictures, i just don't like the look of it. I'm sure there are great things about it as well, but from my first hand experience with the grip, I love it. The putter pocket and the pocket below it, with the key clip, etc. are two of my favorite features of the bag. I don't find that I'm lacking any space at all with the existing pockets and it just looks a hell of a lot better than the mahal, IMO. But hey, I don't care what people carry their plastic around in, I'm just happy to see so much specific DG stuff out there on the market. It's great to see so many options!

Ive seen the mahal in person, and it looks better than the pics online. It actually looks normal. But the guy that was carrying it is a big guy, tall and built like a line backer.

CE plastic doesn't fly $100 better than champ.
A $1800 paintball gun doesn't shoot $1100 better than a $700 gun
A $400 hockey stick doesn't get you any more goals than a $50 one
etc.

You're paying some extra dough to have something unique. The only difference between disc golf and every other sport that has premium options is that we're tremendously frugal by comparison...with bags...for some reason.

I think this is because many if not most players get involved in DG with a couple of discs, maybe 3, and think its all they will ever need to play. Courses are free for the most part, and they view it as a cheap hobby.

So then they get into it, and want more discs, and a bag to carry them, all the while still having that mind set that DG should be a cheap hobby.

when you think about how many hours you play and you'll get out of a $200 bag, it still is a super cheap hobby, but not everyone thinks alike.

The only difference between disc golf and every other sport that has premium options is that we're tremendously frugal by comparison...with bags...for some reason.

it amazes me how many disc golfers feel offended if a disc golf company comes out with something that a broke college kid or unemployed guy living in his mothers basement cant afford.

it amazes me how many disc golfers feel offended if a disc golf company comes out with something that a broke college kid or unemployed guy living in his mothers basement cant afford.

The average disc golfer is a college kid or unemployed. Haha
Hate that about this sport and probably the biggest reason we get such a bad rap.....oh yeah and the smelly damn hippies too. :D

Sorry I'm a broke college kid who has such a strong passion for the sport...:doh:

But really, I was willing to pay $200 for the bag, maybe $250 for the sig editions, but an extra $60 just for color and an extra $100 for the sig just seems outrageous. I'm not going to spend $300 on the sig edition, but now I don't think that I can settle with a plain black or black and grey one since I've seen the black and red model...

I think I'll get a custom bag from No Excuses Disc Golf...

I'm an employed accountant who is a strong car enthusiast and I really want a M3.

Dam you BMW, its all your fault I cant have one and now I just don't want to buy a regular 3 series...

Sorry I'm a broke college kid who has such a strong passion for the sport...:doh:

But really, I was willing to pay $200 for the bag, maybe $250 for the sig editions, but an extra $60 just for color and an extra $100 for the sig just seems outrageous. I'm not going to spend $300 on the sig edition, but now I don't think that I can settle with a plain black or black and grey one since I've seen the black and red model...

I think I'll get a custom bag from No Excuses Disc Golf...

The average disc golfer is a college kid or unemployed. Haha
Hate that about this sport and probably the biggest reason we get such a bad rap.....oh yeah and the smelly damn hippies too. :D

Damn hippies

I'm an employed accountant who is a strong car enthusiast and I really want a M3.

Dam you BMW, its all your fault I cant have one and now I just don't want to buy a regular 3 series...

this example is perfect for the point I was leading to. They have a target market and not everyone is in it.

I can't be the only one that sees that irony that people who are actually willing to buy the overpriced bag are freaking out about the 'logic' behind the price increase based on colors etc.

First of all, I said that in jest, and being a senior business administration major with a marketing emphasis, I understand having a target market. However, if you have a specific target market, then that is who they should be marketing to. Grip Equipment's marketing strategy does not specifically target the "upper class" disc golfer. Showing a person in plaid shorts and a t shirt with an arm and leg covered in tattoos holding your bag on the front page of your website is more likely going to appeal to a more youthful audience who does not wear a shirt and tie to work than those that do.

I'm being a whiny baby by saying that I don't want the bag if I can't have the signature edition and I know that. But in my opinion, it's a poor strategy and it's disrespectful to your customers by conducting business the way Grip Equipment has.

I understand that

I can't be the only one that sees that irony that people who are actually willing to buy the overpriced bag are freaking out about the 'logic' behind the price increase based on colors etc.

If you think about the cost of a quality disc golf bag, $200 isn't unreasonable. A Revo Carolina with quads is about $165 last I checked. A dual pack around $175 now? But a $60-$100 price increase because of color is a tad bit ridiculous...

In my opinion, a $200 disc golf bag is ridiculous, so to me it's ironic that people are freaking out about whether that is a warranted price increase and not whether the original price is warranted or not. I'm not knocking anyone for getting the bag or knocking their price, I just find it interesting. Move some zippers around and a $40 backpack becomes a $200 disc golf backpack, add some blue to it and it's a $300 disc golf backpack. It's all kind of surreal to me. They are cool bags though, I'd love to have one.

Disc golfers are already used to paying higher prices for quality bags. Before Grip, Revolution was probably the premiere disc golf bag along with the Mahal and maybe Gorilla Boy. Revolution's prices are actually $155 for the Carolina or $185 for the dual pack. It's only $10 or $15 more for the digi or multicam styles but no price difference for a color. That's where those that are interested in the Grip bag are having the problem. It just seems that to inflate prices so high for something that at most costs $10-$15 per bag (and I feel like that's way on the high side) is outrageous. I understand that you can get an Innova, Fade, etc bag for a lot less than any of the higher end bags, but you're also paying for quality and longevity. It's a sudden change in the business style that disc golfers are used to, and while we may not like it, we might have to get used to it.

I'm not trying to hate on J@ for the product he's producing, because it seems that a lot of people are satisfied with the product. It just seems to me like he took the wrong approach to starting and building his business and that's where people are getting upset.

First of all, I said that in jest, and being a senior business administration major with a marketing emphasis, I understand having a target market. However, if you have a specific target market, then that is who they should be marketing to. Grip Equipment's marketing strategy does not specifically target the "upper class" disc golfer. Showing a person in plaid shorts and a t shirt with an arm and leg covered in tattoos holding your bag on the front page of your website is more likely going to appeal to a more youthful audience who does not wear a shirt and tie to work than those that do.

I'm being a whiny baby by saying that I don't want the bag if I can't have the signature edition and I know that. But in my opinion, it's a poor strategy and it's disrespectful to your customers by conducting business the way Grip Equipment has.

I understand that

if this is all true than you should know that the market will dictate the price. If the colored bags are really priced too high, they wont sell, and the price will come down.

The fact that the originals were selling for above $200 just shows that those bags may have actually been under priced.

The bags are totally worth it, and the signature editions are a limit to only 15 made, so you just pay for something limited edition

I didn't realize there were only 15 made of each...that limited of availability does kind of change my thoughts on that price. But if you look at the Grip website, you'll notice that all of the standard and Nate Doss sig bags are sold out, however the colors remain along with Val sig bags. Granted they've only been available for a few minutes so we'll see how long they last...

Daaaaaang the Nate Doss bags went fast! I got a Christmas bonus today at work and was actually considering splurging, especially when I got home and there was stock still (and I realized there were only 15 available to the public) ... and now there's not. Makes my decision an easy one thankfully!

... might go for a black one though (amazing how much cheaper $200 seems compared to $300). Saw on facebook that they're supposed to get a black/two-tone shipment in next week.

Is buying an awesome bag any different than paying up to $100 for an oop disc? I've been watching for a se rhyno and people keep paying over $100 bucks used, and new they were $11.

Is buying an awesome bag any different than paying up to $100 for an oop disc? I've been watching for a se rhyno and people keep paying over $100 bucks used, and new they were $11.

Do you buy the disc to throw it? Because I don't see a problem with that...but spending $100 for something to hang on your wall seems like a waste of $100 dollars to me...Plastic was meant to be thrown!

Latest posts