• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip EQ large bag

Got mine last Friday and here are my impressions.

Pros:
Very durable bag, built extremely well and seems extra tough, great stitching.
Bag sits higher on my back and decreases the stress on my lower back.
Rain cover is sweet.
Plenty of storage for up to about 23 discs.
Great design and got compliments about how good it looked at the last tourney I played.
Rubber "Feet" on bottom are genius.
Love the front pocket as it holds my Iphone, wallet and keys perfectly.

Cons:
My bag was missing the top right button for the rain cover, still fits snuggly, but still annoying.
Buttons on lower part of bag for "Rain Cover" slightly dig into my back, mildly uncomfortable, not to bad.
Opening to retrieve discs is to small when a putter resides in the front pocket, making it difficult to get discs in and out. They need to fix this in the next iteration.
Top Pocket's opening is a tad small as well, making it hard to put two putters in it.

Overall this bag is great and my complaints are only mild. I played 4 rounds this weekend with it and my back has never felt better. The tourney I played in was full of cedars I had to tromp through and the bag looks no worse for wear. J@ did a great job and should be commended, im thoroughly impressed.

The current "preorder" price through Dynamic Discs is $185 shipped. That comes with a water bottle and lanyard from DD.

I got mine today from DD. I did get DD stickers and a lanyard, but I did not get a water bottle. Oh well, I bought the bag for its features, not for a free water bottle.

I love the bag. All the positive features have already been mentioned in the thread so I will spare more detail. Just want to say this is +1 for Grip Eq. bag lover.

^^^^how long it take to get? I dont really need one but once i get my taxes done im not sure if i will be able to resist

Mine came in 4 days, but that was due to a delay because of weather. DD shipped them really fast. I've yet to play a round in mine so I will hold off on the review till after this weekend when I play our Icebowl. That should give me a pretty good indicator on how this bag will do.

As far as features it's pretty awesome. I've been playing for 10 years and this is easily the lightest feeling bag I have ever strapped on.

^^^^how long it take to get? I dont really need one but once i get my taxes done im not sure if i will be able to resist

It took 7 days (from Kansas to Arizona), but that was also with a weather delay. They got them out quickly. I have it in time for my first tourney of 2011.

EDIT*** 7 days from payment, I dont think DD actually had them until Wednesday of last week, so 6 days for the turn around.

I just got mine today in AZ from Dynamic Discs as well. I only got in a quick round of 9 holes after work but the bag seems amazing so far. Ill get to field test it a lot the next couple days with the days off of work. If the forecast for the next two days wasnt 20-25 mph wind all around I'd take it out to a bunch of different courses.

I just got mine today in AZ from Dynamic Discs as well. I only got in a quick round of 9 holes after work but the bag seems amazing so far. Ill get to field test it a lot the next couple days with the days off of work. If the forecast for the next two days wasnt 20-25 mph wind all around I'd take it out to a bunch of different courses.

Did DD send you a water bottle? I was told we were getting one, but missed out.

Anyone else need to expand/stretch out the quiver putter pocket? I have trouble pulling one out when it is not even on my back. Not to mention getting two in there and trying to pull one out when it is on. I have 2 discs sitting in the opening right now and I will leave them over night hoping to get it a little wider.

This is also the joint where I noticed the stitching is not completed to the top inside of the quiver pocket. Anyone else have two small "unfinished" holes in the top inside of the quiver pocket?

Hey Q,
Are you playing the Thrills this weekend? I just ordered one of these but want to see one first hand.

Hey Q,
Are you playing the Thrills this weekend? I just ordered one of these but want to see one first hand.

David,
I will be there. I might not even have to carry my own bag since I may have convinced the wife to caddy (for at least one day). When you find me, I will let you take it for a spin and check it out. See you up there.
Q

Areas Needing Improvement

Anyone else need to expand/stretch out the quiver putter pocket? I have trouble pulling one out when it is not even on my back. Not to mention getting two in there and trying to pull one out when it is on.

My bag does not have the unfinished holes you've found.

However, I too am finding the quiver pocket unusable, specifically for Gateway SSS plastic which is super grippy. The disc grips to the pocket and pulls the pocket inside out each time I pull it out. It practically takes two hands to get the disc out. This doesn't happen with dx, champ, or Gateway S putters, obviously, as I wouldn't label any of those plastics as being grippy. It is also semi-difficult to get MVP Ions in and out of the quiver pocket due to their semi-rubber outer ring. Regardless of type of plastic, there seems to be no perfect depth for putters in the quiver pocket: it's either too far in, too far out, and when you get it just right, it's not bound to stay/remain in that position whilst walking.

So my complaint boils down to: the SSS plastic is doing its job, thus rendering the quiver useless as designed (quick drop-ins), though still (semi) effective for storage. Just something to consider when buying the bag for any other users of grippy putters.

Also, as another member previously mentioned, the pocket with the Grip logo located in front of the main disc storage area is rendered useless during play, as discs cannot be easily retrieved / returned to the main storage area without removing any disc you may be storing in this front pocket with the logo.

I'm not trying to be nit-picky about the bag. I've used it during a few rounds now and am wondering if anyone else feels the same way. Everything else about the bag is great thus far, though I feel the two areas explained above can be improved upon in future models.

Im finding similarly that its tricky pulling out my SS putters but not too bad. Im assuming it will only get easier from here though as the bag wears in. The quiver pocket isnt seeming to present any problems for me in the depth. Either its way too deep, which is great for just storing the discs. Or its just the perfect depth for a putter. I havent figured it out well enough I guess to even get the disc sticking out far enough where it would consider falling out. I only got in one quick 9 hole round, but am loving it so far.

I got mine today from DD. I did get DD stickers and a lanyard, but I did not get a water bottle. Oh well, I bought the bag for its features, not for a free water bottle.

I love the bag. All the positive features have already been mentioned in the thread so I will spare more detail. Just want to say this is +1 for Grip Eq. bag lover.

The bag you got is from the original pre-order. DD ordered some extra and sold them. The $185 that I paid is a pre-order for the next run, and should be released at the end of February or the first of March.

The bag you got is from the original pre-order. DD ordered some extra and sold them. The $185 that I paid is a pre-order for the next run, and should be released at the end of February or the first of March.
when I emailed them last week, they sent me a paypal invoice for $190. was your $185 through paypal?

Coming from someone that has been putting with Organic Magics (very grippy/soft) I see the issue with the quiver pocket. If I use it only for one putter, it works just fine. Honestly, that is how it should work, the idea is really for tap outs where you walk up and drop your putter in without having to remove the backpack. However, the people that tested these packs all year last year (mainly Doss/Jenkins) use stiff KC Aviars/Challengers (not sure on Doss) so this probably was not caught. I stuck two of my Medium Wizards in there and they slide in and out without a hitch, just the grippy putters will have to ride solo I believe.

yea i agree. i carry my omegas in there and theyre super tacky. my own little fix for the pocket pulling out was on the inside where the pocket is reachable , i stuck 2 heavy duty velcro pads on both corners while the quiver was buttoned up. then put in a putter and it didnt come out at all. however, it didnt stay long because of the cold so i may try to add some fabric adhesive to the velcro spots

I'm sure this question has been asked already..but I can't seem to find the straight answer. Can you easily fit 2 putters in the top quiver or not?

I'm sure this question has been asked already..but I can't seem to find the straight answer. Can you easily fit 2 putters in the top quiver or not?

I can put three-four discs in there when the quiver is deep. When the quiver is shorter I only put one in there for easy access, using gateway SS plastic its too tacky to easily pull out with more than one.

Latest posts