• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ground up

justinf67

Par Member
So, after Hub posted a good video, I have been obsessed with watching ball golf instructional videos detailing using the ground to push off of to create hip turn and clearance and posting on the front leg. Really opened my eyes on how to use the hips for power generation. But, I'm a slow learner and ive probably seen it demonstrated, but, what's a good disc golf video, or videos that deal with this. Thanks

Hitting a baseball is more like the disc golf throw than hitting a golf ball in my opinion. After teaching baseball and now disc golf for years and years, there is one thing that helps most people get more hip action in their throw - squishing the bug. Releasing the back heel from the ground, rotating the back knee while moving it toward the front knee, and releasing the hips to turn the torso whipping the shoulders/arm/forearm/hand/disc creates power. Here's one video - it's long winded, but the real good stuff starts around 6 minutes in.

https://youtu.be/EVusVgzZy6s

Does that help Justin?

Last edited:
Ball golf mechanics are more similar than hitting a baseball although they are quite similar to each other, but both are different from a disc golf throw because disc golf only uses one arm to swing and in a BH it's the lead arm. In a disc golf BH you want the rear side to clear and get out of the way behind the front side, you don't want it to rotate around and into the way of the swing path like you would to bring your rear arm through a baseball swing. Also if you finish like a baseball player you are going to throw sky high because your spine is tilted back rather than forward.

GDNmWEu.png

twoO771.png

Squishing the Bug or focusing on rear foot rotation is a spin out of leverage/torque. If you focus on balance and planting on the front side properly the rear side kind of works its way out. You can not rotate your swivel chair(hip) very efficiently by rotating the foot in the same direction as the chair, you can roll the foot to the inside though and then use plantar flexion which drives the rear heel forward/evert and the rear shin/knee angles forward/not spin(knees don't rotate!) which rotates the chair/hip very efficiently. Rotation of the rear foot only happens after your weight has left the rear side and is more incidental from the release of the ground torque(anti-spin). Watch Will S's rear foot below, it drives the heel/weight forward and rotates around only after the toes leave the ground, and the foot goes forward in the counter direction of the pelvis turn/swing.

There's a whole list of drills:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119328

The difference between lateral shift and rotation is always confusing.

The way I started understanding is focusing only on lateral movement. If you drive the rear leg loaded into the plant leg, and focus on countering the rear leg behind you, the front hip clears and the pelvis rotates naturally. I don't even think about rear hip rotation, just drive the loaded leg forward and clear it backward, and the rotation happens pretty much on it's own. I figured this out less than two weeks ago, and am consistently getting my putters past 300' now. Doing this has really helped me feel the weight of my lower body going into the disc.