• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Guys draggin carts along...

There is an older gent that carts his discs around, but he also has a vast array of accessories that he has in there. He's decent, but it seems like he never plays the full course and just walks to the holes that are open and plays them out of order.

next step. the electric pull carts that only require remotes and no actual pulling. with off-road tires, of course.

10 discs @ 172g (average) = 1720g or 3.79 lbs
15 discs @ 172g (average) = 2580g or 5.68 lbs
-------------------------------------------------------
+ weight of empty backpack 3lbs.

6.79-8lbs.

most guys i see add so much crap to and in their packs they actually carry more weight in extraneous crap than in actual disc and pack weight.

water -
1 gallon - 8lbs
1 can/bottle of beer - 1.5 lbs
1 battery "D" cell - 180g
Radio - 1.5lbs
etc....

i carry (max) 12 discs and a backpack... i feel no pain, or any adverse affects from carrying an extra 7lbs.

when you go on a 2 hour hike, do you bring as much crap as you do when you disc golf?

I've always laughed, as the "work" (energy required) to move such a pack and all the extraneous weight far exceeds double (or triple) the work required to carry a barebones setup.

Think about it... the guy with the full 15-20lbs rig does 3-4 times the amount of work with each step than i do. If you need back braces to help distribute the load, maybe the load is too heavy?

I agree djj. I'm one of those guys that would prefer to carry less but like to be prepared too. As you pointed out no matter what you carry you are increasing the workload on your body which means a higher energy burn. Which in essence can affect your game whether you are willing to admit it or not.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything like that on this subject I'm just trying to understand why some people (not anyone in particular) think that something that can ease the wear and tear on your body is so silly or stupid. This is still a relatively new sport and as it grows you are going to see newer innovations all the time. If you don't see these innovations the game will not grow and could possibly disappear. Also these innovations can make the game more available to a wider range of players which benefits us all with more money and more people promoting the sport to help it grow.

Of course, if you've had back surgery and are unable to carry your bag, then that's a mitigating factor that excludes you from this judgment. I was referring to otherwise healthy, able-bodied golfers who ride in or pull a cart.

The only reason I mentioned my back injury is because it was the most horrible pain I have ever felt in my life and would not wish that on my worst enemy. Any weight added to your back during a round of disc golf (depending on your age and health for the most part) could lead to a similar injury. Especially with the types of motions it takes to throw. A cart can help to limit these injuries by decreasing the wear and tear on your back which will help insure you can enjoy this game for many years to come. I do value your opinion but it looks like we may just have to agree to disagree on this point lol.

I don't know what this conversation was originally supposed to be about when the OP started it, but we are now off in LA-LA land. You know what reduces the workload on you and saves you energy? Staying home in bed. So, you've made the decision to use your precious energy to get out of bed, get your butt, and go play anyway despite this tremendous drain upon your mental and physical facilities... good for you!

225629_fat_guy_in_car.jpg

Discgolf is, as we all know, a highly strenuous activity requiring loads of heavy lifting, long periods of high intensity exertion. Those little plastic discs may not look like much but after a while they really start taking their toll on you. I'd have to say that in some areas, playing a full round of discgolf may even rival the amount of effort put in by old ladies going for a walk.

profimedia-0043736019.jpg

I for one am very grateful for the invention of the discgolf cart. I'd say that a discgolf cart and quitting smoking are now equivalents with each adding at least 10 years each to our life spans. I for one am planning on buying an endless supply to put into the garage so I can live forever.

very-old-man.jpg

And for the record, the reason why you're getting so much crap from everyone is because you are trying to rationalize dragging a big a$$ cart behind you to carry half of your personal possessions with you on the discgolf course. We all play, most of us play a lot, and some of us play a whole lot. Most of us are able to do so without dragging a cart around with us. It's offensive when you try and portray it as if you are the only one that plays a lot, and you are the only one that has been injured playing the game. You are not the only one. But don't get it twisted. The cart is the joke, not you. It's not personal.

Last edited:
And for the record, the reason why you're getting so much crap from everyone is because you are trying to rationalize dragging a big a$$ cart behind you to carry half of your personal possessions with you on the discgolf course.

I carry my discs, another persons discs (my father's), three loose extras each, water, towel, stuff that would normally be in my pockets and maybe a hat and jacket depending on the weather conditions. So... pretty much the stuff that I and my dad were already carrying. The most I would add is a cooler with extra water or a couple sodas in it.

We all play, most of us play a lot, and some of us play a whole lot. Most of us are able to do so without dragging a cart around with us.

I don't play a lot. All day once a week and whenever I can get out the rest of the week. I just like not carrying pounds of stuff on my shoulders when I play. If you don't have a cart, good for you. I did it for years, tried a cart and ended up liking it better. Good for me.

It's offensive when you try and portray it as if you are the only one that plays a lot, and you are the only one that has been injured playing the game. You are not the only one. But don't get it twisted. The cart is the joke, not you. It's not personal.

I've never suffered an injury on the course, save for one pulled hand muscle. And that was from overpowering a drive and not my bag.

The cart isn't a joke. It's a choice.

Is it your choice? No. Is it mine? Yes.

Why all the hostility because I don't play the game the same way you do?

You only have to read the comments posted the last 2 days to know exactly who I was referring to and why I made the comments with the sarcastic tone. I'm glad you and your dad play. I take my 2 sons with me sometimes too, but I choose to just carry less discs when i'm carrying for more than just myself. That is my personal choice.

ya but if the cart was cool and not a joke you be on that band wagon to,just like all the disc you bought because some one else had it or because the guy at the shop said it goes soooo far man.the cart is a tool like your towel.but is course dictated,not for every course,AND NOT FOR EVERY PLAYER.if you are over 40yrs,and have a cart,no one should give you crap,youve earned it,reguardless how you play,and if younger guys give you crap,do you really care what some 20yrs old thinks.the cart should be innovas next marketing product,with their name plasterd all over the thing...you guys know if disccraft and innova had their own carts,you would be out to get one..barry schultz,snapper peirson,and other pros use carts,or have someone carry their crap,you know you would love someone to carry your crap around the course...so to sum up the carts a tool of the game use it or not,ive seen more extension poles and slingshots on the course,thats funny

For the record, I was joking when I took a shot at you guys. In all seriousness, whatever gets people on the course to play....

FWIW, I am 34 years old, broke my back when I was 27, have a tank of a bag(Spike Hyzer) loaded with 12-15 discs, a six pack of tall boys, and various other crap. Yes, it's heavy.

No, It's not too heavy.

For me.

I think it's hilarious that people think this is such a lazy idea. What does it matter? Do you consider ball golfers any less of a golfer if using a cart over walking? You still have to push or pull your carts over whatever terrain you are going through you just don't have the weight on your back. Carts make more sense to me then carrying your bag just because you can remain "fresher" throughout the round which gives you an advantage and more refreshments lol.

@Slowroll. This was my original post and I was not directing that to you. It was just coincidence that my post came after yours. The post that you had above mine was a joke and I fully understand that. The statement I made above was a generalized statement to the people that did seriously criticize others for using carts. This topic has come up before and every time there are people that claim that carts are for the "lazy" or "out of shape" which is not entirely true. I see a true benefit to using a cart as long as the course terrain doesn't make it more cumbersome.

Also I never claimed to play more DG than anyone or claim I have more experience than anyone. My stats will show that I'm no where near most of the players on these forums in regards to play time or skill level. My injury was not disc golf related which I never said it was. I stated that I had a back injury that I hope no one ever has to go through and I never stated that I am the only one to ever get injured on the course because obviously that would not be true. I am just speaking from experience that you do not want a back injury and if there is a product that could help limit the chance of an injury happening, why not use it?

All I'm just trying to do is find the reasoning for criticizing someone for using an item that helps them play DG a little better or allows them to have a little more fun (carrying radios or coolers for more brews)? We all do this with other items to increase our skill whether it be buying a new disc, a birdie bag, or a practice basket. IMO this is just another step in the evolution of the sport.

Jabanger, I understand your frustration.
I'm 26 and use a (bad azz) cart when usable. I find it shaves about two strokes on average. I don't usually use it for anything besides my normal setup- so no cooler, stero, or extra crate o discs.

The thing is, its never the people that matter judgeing- meaning its always some crapppy am player hatin. When I started, only good players carried big bags with quads- now every internet pro has a pro rig. Does that mean we should hate on them and let them know of a self imposed qualifier for carring a large bag- probally not, but I won't hesitate to ridicule every aspect of their life (in and outside of dg)if they feel thay qualify to pass judgement on me.

It looks like a lifesaver in the fairways. I just play a lot of wooden courses, and couldn't see using a cart. Besides that, I only carry 7 discs anyway. The Nutsac would look silly on a cart.

Having played with a guy who fought his cart around a very wooded course for 18 holes and having carried my full fade tourney bag for a day of like 60 holes, I can say with all confidence that I would have been no more or less sore if I'd have had his cart. If you have a double shoulder straps and a full bag, it's still pretty damn light. It just seems like overkill to me.

I've seen some guys with golf pull carts set up for disc golf!

Huh?

The did not look handicapped, none of them were old, some where a bit overweight...

Why a pull cart?

Do you need that much stuff to have fun?

None of them were good at it, they looked like they were having fun but huh?

Pull cart?

I posted the question slash rhetorical comment.

Carts are a choice, I'm poking fun at people who use a cart.

It does not make you a bad person because you drag a cart along, it just makes you look like you have a lot of stuff that you think is important to disc golf.

I've enjoyed reading some of the responses and the haters that explain people who may not like something are haters, hater, hate et al.

WTF?

Who cares?

You drag a cart along?

Big deal, I think your choice is funny.

I snicker at carts, it is funny to me. Gotta bad back and you want to bring on some Gin and Tonic? Cool, you just went from me snickering at me to being pretty cool.

I don't have a problem poking fun at someone, I don't mind someone poking fun at me.

Poor for(u)m for those that take it seriously.

No big deal.

Forgive me if I repeat, I have not the patience to read this entire thread.

I am 37. Not old, but not a pup either. I get out for oneness with nature and EXERCISE. I have always found it funny to hear folks complaining of how "draining" a course is. Especially kids. My idea of a kick ass weekend is 3-4 courses each day, totaling 6-8 rounds. If the course is rough and demanding...all the better. It keeps you in shape and on your game. If disc golf is too physically strenuous perhaps you should check out pinochle or chess.

Oh, and as far as my fav courses go...a cart
seems to me to be more of a hinderance than an assistance.

Heres my $10 investment I found at Ollies bargain outlet:
discgolfdiscs040.jpg

I can hook my bag onto it if I want.
discgolfdiscs043.jpg

I can easily fit 20+discs in it.
discgolfdiscs041.jpg

Collapsable!
discgolfdiscs042.jpg

Im going to put beefier/off road tires on it as well as a putter and mini pocket and cup holder when I get the chance.

Forgive me if I repeat, I have not the patience to read this entire thread.

I am 37. Not old, but not a pup either. I get out for oneness with nature and EXERCISE. I have always found it funny to hear folks complaining of how "draining" a course is. Especially kids. My idea of a kick ass weekend is 3-4 courses each day, totaling 6-8 rounds. If the course is rough and demanding...all the better. It keeps you in shape and on your game. If disc golf is too physically strenuous perhaps you should check out pinochle or chess.

Oh, and as far as my fav courses go...a cart
seems to me to be more of a hinderance than an assistance.

My game improves when I use it, I don't have a sore shoulder and I feel overall better after two rounds than a did the week before I used the cart.

And it's not a hindrance on any course I've been to with it. Then again, I live in flat Florida. I suspect that a course in the mountains would require a shoulder bag.