• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Harp vs Zone

Harp or Zone

• Harp

Votes: 107 34.5%
  • Zone

Votes: 171 55.2%
  • Both

Votes: 32 10.3%

• Total voters
The BT Hard Harps I have been throwing are NOT in the same category as my Z Zones. But they can fill the same role, with a few differences.

Zones are more OS and skippier, I am learning. Than baseline Harps anyway. Do think I could really see carrying both, but I am stubborn about limiting molds.

My Tournament Plastic Harp sounds a lot like your description of Zones. My TP Harp is very OS, curves well around trees, and skips more. My BT Hard Harps are not quite as OS, don't skip as much. And when they season in (and more quickly than the TP Harp will), they'll not be so OS but will still be a great wind-fighter.

I could see myself bagging both a TP Harp and a seasoned-in BT Hard Harp; ergo, I can see someone bagging both a Zone and a seasoned-in Harp...

My Tournament Plastic Harp sounds a lot like your description of Zones. My TP Harp is very OS, curves well around trees, and skips more. My BT Hard Harps are not quite as OS, don't skip as much. And when they season in (and more quickly than the TP Harp will), they'll not be so OS but will still be a great wind-fighter.

I could see myself bagging both a TP Harp and a seasoned-in BT Hard Harp; ergo, I can see someone bagging both a Zone and a seasoned-in Harp...

I can SEE people doing all kinds of unnecessary things and carrying more discs and molds than they need. Usually to the detriment of their games. Two Harps or two Zones makes way more sense.

I've carried two Zones a lot. But I really like baseline plastics for my putters and mids (except a Champ Rancho Roc at the top end). And I feel like you can make EITHER the Zone or the Harp cover the same types of shots.

Less is more. Get better at disc golf, not disc buying.

I can SEE people doing all kinds of unnecessary things and carrying more discs and molds than they need. Usually to the detriment of their games. Two Harps or two Zones makes way more sense.

I've carried two Zones a lot. But I really like baseline plastics for my putters and mids (except a Champ Rancho Roc at the top end). And I feel like you can make EITHER the Zone or the Harp cover the same types of shots.

Less is more. Get better at disc golf, not disc buying.

I hear ya. But it comes down to the individual player's choice, and whatever works and is more fun for them...

I went with the Jokeri because it has better glide, but unfortunately, they are also a little harder to find in stores.

Another good choice, I like choices. In relation to the OP - Harp is a little deeper, with less LSS than Zone, but still a good tool for what it does and perhaps a better putter if it comes to that. Zone is the short range OS anything tool that set the bar but also itself is no longer the most OS for its speed.

FWIW, if I was economizing, I'd take the Zone, but since I don't have to worry about that, I like the A1 and Envy combo. A1 is beef. Thrown flat it will not only fade left, but turn down. On a good rip, it lands like a lawn dart more than a disc. To get it to skip, I need to flip it over so it lands flat while fading.

I flicked a friend's super floppy soft harp, along with the star-equivalent the other day. I noticed that when comparing the harp to the zone physically, the things that jump out are the addition of a bead, the concave lower wing, and the slightly deeper and more narrow wing.

I was not a big fan of flicking the floppy harp, but I have to admit that it did do its job- hit and stick, like within a cm or two of where it landed. The star equivalent (tournament plastic?) I preferred.

I think the magic of the zone for me is almost 100% the shape - and it's so simple. Wide, shallow putter rim, probably 3 to 3.5 speed, perfectly straight lower wing, blunt shoulder, and unbeaded. Absolutely perfect for short FH shots.

Nothing wrong with the harp, but it just seems less special/specialized.

I feel like the premium Harp is identical to Zones. It's just that so many people throw baseline Harps, and Z/ESP Zones that they are quite different (Harp straighter, less skip). If you compare Jawbreaker Zone with base Harps, or Z/ESP Zones to TP/VIP Harps then it's the same flight IME. Maybe slight variations, but we're talking speed 3 OS discs...not going to be that different!

So really it's mostly a feel/shape thing. I prefer the feel of the Zone slightly but I could substitute a Harp and not complain at all.

Blast from the past - what do you guys think of a BT Harp vs a JB Zone?

Thinking of tossing a combo of premium plus baseline in the bag and allowing the baseline to season into a stable shooter - think either TP Harp + BT or ESP Zone + JB...

Are BT Harps a little longer than JB Zones when seasoned a bit and given some height to glide out? Or is the opposite the case?

I Have used both of these a lot back and forth over the years. Consensus: Zones are more HSS and LSS and are a little flatter and feel better for a Forehand (for me) - Premium Plastics are nice and readily available - ::: Harps have better baseline plastic options, they seem to be better for backhand throws because they have a touch more glide and not as hard of a fade so they can be thrown on straight lines with a solid fade without having to flex them.

Overall BOTH are good. Sometimes I will carry One of Each, sometimes just 1 - lately I've been using a Z Zone and I really like it because its just So OS that I can trust it - I am not great at Forehands so the only time I use it is an extreme situation

I started with harps and I like them, a BT Hard and a TP. I am now a zoner, I like how shallow it is, which was my main determining factor, as I, like I assume most of you, are throwing them forehand.

I agree that harps have better baseline plastic, I'd love a bt soft zone. Until then, I will use a jawbreaker and a (currently) esp glow zone. I like all of the premium plastic zones, and would say the esps are a little glidier than the rest (crystal z, TI, big Z etc.).

Fact of the matter is, now with Jawbreaker on the market, they are practically interchangeable. I figure maybe the Harp could be more midrangish than the Zone, but it could turn out the opposite way.

This cold season and maybe into next year I'm thinking about bagging a couple daggers (putting putter and upshots) plus a unified "approach" lineup, consisting of tweener putters. Something like:

Star Mirage
Proxy and Envy or just a proton atom
Zones or Harps

Then from there roll with slow fairways consisting mainly of leopards. The trick is, which of the Zone or Harp can do a better S/OS mid impression?

I don't bag either. I'm happy with my Camian. I like Zones better than Harps though. The Zone is beadless, has a flat/puddle top and is shallow. Plus it comes in a quite a few different plastics. That's exactly what I look for in mids/putters that I throw sidearm.

I have thrown noth extensively over the years. Here is what I have found:

Everyone is correct in that the zone is flatter more HSS ans LSS.

Zone feels better FH
Harp feels better BH

Zone is best for short OS throws

I prefer the Harp in baseline plastics for upshots, as it is more workable. The jawbreaker zone has a similar flight and great FH feel but is faster, so I found it harder to range.

Overall, I currently carrry two BT Hard (FH &BH) Harps and a VIP (Only thrown BH, don't like the feel FH) . I love the zone for OS FH drives, but I feel as though I can make the same shot with my XXX.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

As a forehand dominant player, I've had a Gator or Mortar in the bag since shortly after I picked up the game. For me, they're both better than either the Zone or the Harp. Gators even make really good thumber discs.

I'm guessing the Harp will have a big drop in popularity with Ricky leaving Lat64. I personally never saw the appeal in the first place, unless someone were stuck with a sponsorship.

I love the zone for OS FH drives, but I feel as though I can make the same shot with my XXX.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I have never found any Zone that has as overstable a finish as my Firebirds (don't throw XXX). I find the Zone much more easy to control on an upshot because it will not flare like the Firebird. Now if I need that skip or a spiking shot, the Firebird will work better, but rarely on upshots do I need that. I also find the Zone less touchy, so my misses tend to be much closer than it would with a Firebird.

Gators even make really good thumber discs.
I find the Zone to be a better thumber/tomahawk disc than any mid I have ever throw, even super overstable ones.

Last edited:
I found them to be nearly identical in flight, but preferred the hand feel of the Zone. Though I now use Mortars in that slot.

I've always been a Harp lover, but recently stumbled upon a Z Zone. So I took the Harp out of the bag to try it out. The Zone was noticeably more OS. With my Harps sometimes I would favor a Lucid Justice over them, because I was afraid I would put too much torque on the harp and send my upshot elsewhere. With my new Zone, I feel like I don't have to worry about that as much. Still both are great discs and I still keep my Tournament Harp in my bag for BH shots, Zone for FH's.

I've always been a Harp lover, but recently stumbled upon a Z Zone. So I took the Harp out of the bag to try it out. The Zone was noticeably more OS. With my Harps sometimes I would favor a Lucid Justice over them, because I was afraid I would put too much torque on the harp and send my upshot elsewhere. With my new Zone, I feel like I don't have to worry about that as much. Still both are great discs and I still keep my Tournament Harp in my bag for BH shots, Zone for FH's.

If it's more for the stability vs hand feel, you should try pairing the Zone with a Rat. It's like a ZoneSS.